Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #286 of 1,177
Remember. $20 Meze 99 earpads (available at Meze website and probably Amazon) will give your ears more space in every direction. They open up the soundstage, keep all the clarity, while improving the quality of the midrange (it's absolutely not scooped at all now) and taming the mid bass bump, while extending and enhancing the sub bass better than any pad swap that I've ever heard. You just wrap them around the outside of the cup (you can't use the snap off plastic ring thing). Don't worry, they fit perfect, and look even better than the stock pads.

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #287 of 1,177
Remember. $20 Meze 99 earpads...You just wrap them around the outside of the cup (you can't use the snap off plastic ring thing). Don't worry, they fit perfect, and look even better than the stock pads.
I'm curious, I'm assuming you have to remove the oem pads first, right or do you literally just add these on top?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #288 of 1,177
I bought the Sony MDR-1AM2 Headphones last month. It was a good purchase. They sound really nice. Build quality seems fine. The plastic almost never produces a crackle, and the crackles which are produced are at a very low volume. My Sony MDR-1A (the first model) actually had quite loud crackling plastic (which luckily only produced those loud crackles from time to time), my biggest annoyance about it.

Wearing comfort with the MDR-1AM2 is excellent. The ear pads are very soft and comfortable. The ear opening of the pads is taller than the ear opening of the pads of the Sony MDR-1A, allowing for taller ears. My ears are probably slightly bigger than average, and with the MDR-1A the ear pads sometimes touched the top of my ear, leading to (very) slight discomfort over time. The taller ear opening of the MDR-1AM2 ensures that there is no pressure from the pads on the top of the ear. I place the bottom part of the ear pads on the bottom part of my ears, which is normal for my ear size. The ear pad opening isn't particularly big or anything, but it should be big enough for most people. Most people should feel no discomfort when wearing these headphones. The headband can be extended quite far, far enough for nearly everyone. These headphones are suitable for medium-sized heads all the way to quite big heads. I wear glasses myself, with quite thick plastic legs. It's not a problem at all with these headphones, I can wear them for hours at a time. The very soft pads don't really put any noticeable pressure on the legs of the glasses.

The affordable aftermarket cables I bought for the Sony MDR-1A all work just fine with the Sony MDR-1AM2. They click in, and stay in place. The click in mechanism has not changed, the correct ring size for the end of the plug is unchanged. I haven't really used the bundled cables of this headphone yet, outside from verifying that they work. I'm using cheap aftermarket cables which are compatible with the MDR-1A & MDR-1AM2.

The headphones are very easy to drive. Any smartphone or even affordable MP3-players should give more than enough volume. The volume output is quite a bit higher than the previous model, which had a 48 Ohm impedance. The headphones produce a clear and nice sound, with a nice bass response. Sound quality is definitely on par with what you should expect for a closed-back over-ear in its price bracket. Sound quality wise, my only gripe is some slight sharpness in the sound, occassionally. Because of the very low weight of these over ears, they are also very suitable for outdoor use.

The headphones produce a nice and punchy, undistorted bass (which goes quite loud!). Sub bass is quite prominent and goes very deep. The mids are quite natural, and at the correct volume. The highs are quite present and enjoyable, but sometimes a bit sharp when listening at a loud volume. It's definitely an engaging sound, thanks to the combination of loud bass and treble plus nice-sounding mids. The passive sound isolation from the ear pads is quite good, and I would use these headphones in moderately loud environments. The headphones do not leak much sound to the environment, if at all.

I haven't listened to these headphones long enough to grade them or post a review, so you will have to do with these short impressions (for now). But please do look at the pictures of the unboxing!

Unboxing Sony MDR-1AM2 Headphones & Photo Comparison with Sony MDR-1A Headphones

Now, onto the most important thing: I took about a hundred high-quality photos of the Sony MDR-1AM2 (a photo unboxing). I took these pictures last month, but only very recently uploaded them to Imgur and Cube Upload. At the end of the Unboxing, I put a photo comparison with the Sony MDR-1A (the previous model). I put the two models next to eachother, while lining up the fully extended headbands. You can quickly and easily judge how big the headphones are. There are also up close shots of the ear pads of both models, positioned next to each other. This way, you can easily verify for yourself that the ear opening of the MDR-1AM2 is taller, allowing for taller ears compared to the MDR-1A.
It's 102 photos in total. I tried to take pictures of everything, but I did not remove the ear pads. There are photos included of the packaging, the headphones, both cables, the pouch and the included documents. It are high quality JPEG photographs, with adjusted lighting & colors (done in FastStone).

The headphones look very fashionable and modern, but I'll let you judge that for yourself!

Link to the Imgur album (contains all photographs, and is easily and quickly scrollable):
https://imgur.com/a/CEs9YKz

Link to the three galleries on Cube Upload (open the pictures through the direct links to get the right orientation!)
http://cubeupload.com/codes/48340c
http://cubeupload.com/codes/a3508e
http://cubeupload.com/codes/608e96

I would recommend viewing the photographs on Imgur, since they are very quick to scroll through there. But the images on Cube Upload are the original JPEGS, without extra compression.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #289 of 1,177
I also disagree with this...they are very easily powered and so even at "low" volumes they can be loud. For example, using Audacity on my desktop I set the volume around 14-18 (out of 100) whereas "most" other headphones I've used are in the upper 20s at least, many in the 30s. So, because of this they are great for being powered from a phone...can get loud easily.

With that said, they are better at passive noise cancellation than many headphones I've tried. Totally subjective here I know but I work in a research lab and we have hoods and other equipment with motors humming constantly and these knock down the ambient noise better than many headphones I've tried. Which is weird because looking at them they look "lightweight" and almost "flimsy"...it's a testament to the materials used and build quality imo...they are "more" expensive because of this.

I would certainly say THESE DO NOT LEAK easily at normal recommended volumes!

You can get a Sony certified refurbished pair of these pretty cheap right now, $129.99. Seeing they are wired and not battery powered nor wireless, should be good to go!
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Resolut...pID=410xYXA29oL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

At what volume levels do you listen at if you don't mind me asking? Now I'm a bit paranoid with my listening levels. To give you an idea, I usually listen on my Windows computer with the Spotify application volume set to max and about 35-50% set for Realtek HD Audio (Applies for both headphones and IEMs).

nDalT2U.png

8N58tiQ.png

Here's a sample video at 40% Realtek volume. The music is just blasting through the earpiece as the headphones are laid on the table.

Is it the same for you guys? Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #290 of 1,177
I'm curious, I'm assuming you have to remove the oem pads first, right or do you literally just add these on top?
you remove the pads already on which are clip on pads and after that you just add the meze pads on to the driver housing. About the Meze pads, well i tried swapping and i didnt like what it did to the sound. If i was to exclaim in one phrase I would say it sucked out the life from the music. Lows and highs were lost to my ears. However they are comfortable and YMMV re: the SQ.

Oct 1, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #291 of 1,177
superuser1 had the correct procedure of pad replacement, the plastic stretchy part just wraps neatly around the outside of the cup. I guess our hearing is different. The highs are still there, and to my sensitive ears, like the originals, at times a bit more than I'd like. High mids are not affected. Midrange is slightly more forward in a good way. The high bass boom is better controlled. I don't find it lacking all, it's still north of neutral. The sub bass extension is remarkable though, on heavy sub bass tracks it can make you dizzy. Non EDM / Hip Hop having less bass overall would have these seem less bass, as most of their bass action is higher up. Though on songs with a lot of mid to sub bass, the Meze pads shine a lot better.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #292 of 1,177
At what volume levels do you listen at if you don't mind me asking?
...The music is just blasting through the earpiece as the headphones are laid on the table. Is it the same for you guys? Thanks!
No, definitely not blasting. I would say it's clearly audible but very quiet. I used the app for my android phone called sound meter to "measure" the sound. I did a measurement for each ear (channel). Basically, putting the headphones on my table and using my Samsung Galaxy S7 which has it's mic on the bottom of the small side, I put the bottom of the phone into the ear pad opening...and it actually fit nicely. As I said I work in a lab so the background noise is higher than normal (first and last few seconds in the graphs) but tends to be right around 55dB (Images 2 & 3). I played Back in Black (with the same audio card as you I believe on my PC using Audacity because it bypasses the windows audio mixer and adjusts the volume straight from the audio card) at volume 20 (image1) which is possibly a little louder than I might listen to for long periods but certainly okay for critical listening of a specific track or section of track for me. The sound appears to be between 67-70dB. When I removed the phone from the earpad and kept looking at the measurement, I noticed that even with the music playing, the "sound level" went back to 55dB when the phone's mic was about 3 inches away from the earpad. I can hear the music playing from the headphones with my own ears at about 14-16 inches away but just barely. Take away the ambient noise of my lab and I'm sure I'll hear it more...but still it'll be very quiet.

...Hope that helps

PS - Because there isn't really a seal around the phone (the ear pad opening is much bigger than the phone), the ambient noise still gets to the mic...which is why it looks like the headphones don't have much passive noise cancellation, but my ears tell me they really do.
Image%201%20Listening%20Volume.jpg

Image%202%20left%20channel%20-%20Copy.jpg
Image%203%20right%20channel%20-%20Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #293 of 1,177
No, definitely not blasting. I would say it's clearly audible but very quiet. I used the app for my android phone called sound meter to "measure" the sound. I did a measurement for each ear (channel). Basically, putting the headphones on my table and using my Samsung Galaxy S7 which has it's mic on the bottom of the small side, I put the bottom of the phone into the ear pad opening...and it actually fit nicely. As I said I work in a lab so the background noise is higher than normal (first and last few seconds in the graphs) but tends to be right around 55dB (Images 2 & 3). I played Back in Black (with the same audio card as you I believe on my PC using Audacity because it bypasses the windows audio mixer and adjusts the volume straight from the audio card) at volume 20 (image1) which is possibly a little louder than I might listen to for long periods but certainly okay for critical listening of a specific track or section of track for me. The sound appears to be between 67-70dB. When I removed the phone from the earpad and kept looking at the measurement, I noticed that even with the music playing, the "sound level" went back to 55dB when the phone's mic was about 3 inches away from the earpad. I can hear the music playing from the headphones with my own ears at about 14-16 inches away but just barely. Take away the ambient noise of my lab and I'm sure I'll hear it more...but still it'll be very quiet.

...Hope that helps

PS - Because there isn't really a seal around the phone (the ear pad opening is much bigger than the phone), the ambient noise still gets to the mic...which is why it looks like the headphones don't have much passive noise cancellation, but my ears tell me they really do.
Image%201%20Listening%20Volume.jpg

Image%202%20left%20channel%20-%20Copy.jpg
Image%203%20right%20channel%20-%20Copy.jpg

Hey thanks for the detailed response. Appreciate it!

Oct 3, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #294 of 1,177
At what volume levels do you listen at if you don't mind me asking? Now I'm a bit paranoid with my listening levels. To give you an idea, I usually listen on my Windows computer with the Spotify application volume set to max and about 35-50% set for Realtek HD Audio (Applies for both headphones and IEMs).

nDalT2U.png

8N58tiQ.png

Here's a sample video at 40% Realtek volume. The music is just blasting through the earpiece as the headphones are laid on the table.

Is it the same for you guys? Thanks!

It`s all relevant to your PC soundcard I think. It`s comparing apples to pears surely unless someone has the same spec PC.

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #295 of 1,177
If you make a headphone light enough, headband issues become non-issues. The mdr-ma900 has only a tiny section of cloth padding in the middle of the headband, makes contact with the head only at the very top which would usually mean trouble, but it's the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried. Why? Cuz it's very light and the headband is suspending little weight on the head.

The 1AM2 is even lighter than the ma900.
Whut? Lighter than the featherweight MA900!? I didn't think that'd be possible!
Jokes aside, I'm intrigues with this M2 version now... I tried the M1 before, wasn't too impressed with them, I have a Denon D600 now, which gets me as close to the Z1R (personal endgame goal) with as little money I can find, loving it, but it sure has some heft (esp with MA900 as my Daily). Quite comfortable still tho, the pads is so plush here (also reminded to the Z1R on that aspect)

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #296 of 1,177
I think that the mids aren’t recessed at all, and in a direct comparison with pinnacle p1, it fleshes out the voice with meaty presence and texture, not smooth like a hd650 but more textured. The 10k peak is so subtle the it can be heard as additional air, never scratchy sound. I payed 149 on italian amazon, and for this price the m2 doesn’t have any competitor. Can you list better option under 400?

Thank you.
Did you have problems with comfort? I had DT770 32 ohm before and had problems because pads were not deep enough for me. Size was ok. But ears were touching foam inside cups where driver is. Not comfortable for me.
Also had Sennheiser Momentum 2 and pads was too small to go really over ear.

I have T1 (1st gen) and they are great in terms of comfort.

Must mention that i had also Sennhesier HD595 for 9 years and they were super comfortable.
I tried HD600, HD650 and comfort was great.

So not really sure about Sony now. I am worried that they will be too small for me. I dont have chance to try them before buy. So...
Not sure.
I'd recommend you guys try the Denon D600, it's kinda old but used can be found for 125-180, which I think is a steal for the price, it surely isn't lightweight like the 1AM2, but comfort is great, with its huge, deep and plush pads, also the sound is what's matter most for me which it surely doesn't disappoints :)

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #298 of 1,177
I came in expecting bass, and I have the Sony XBA A3 for portable, so I guess I was prepared for it, still I beg to differ, IMO it's a very, very nice bass, one I'd trade in for other aspect, it's not That extenuated that it bleeds into he mids, like what I feel the UE 6000 did, the vocal is still there also, quite clear actually, tho placed a bit behind in the stage (which is quite alright for a closed).

On the treble, it ain't piercing at all, actually I feel this is quite relaxed, esp compared to more V-shaped cans like DT770, IMO this is more U shaped than V shaped, more gradient and smoother. It's fun, but doesn't hurt, can actually be relaxing in a way. ie very similar to the Sony MDR Z1R on that aspect. :)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #299 of 1,177
I'm very happy with mi 1am2. I most listen to the 320 kbps spotify's music... for the first month of use i felt the sound a little bit compressed on the sony... then I discovered that the normalization was on, and the quaity wasn't set on the maximum level after a format of my mac. once i changed these options i felt everything has radically changed for better: almost zero grain, improved space in every direction, better controlled bass and the occasional harshness is totally gone now. Now i've done another step up: i bought a little miracle of an interface, the rode ai-1 which allows me to listen the full dynamic capabilities of my hp (and also it is a recording interface). I highly suggest to try a little amplification to flesh out the mids in a very spatial and natural way.

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #300 of 1,177
I'm very happy with mi 1am2. I most listen to the 320 kbps spotify's music... for the first month of use i felt the sound a little bit compressed on the sony... then I discovered that the normalization was on, and the quaity wasn't set on the maximum level after a format of my mac. once i changed these options i felt everything has radically changed for better: almost zero grain, improved space in every direction, better controlled bass and the occasional harshness is totally gone now. Now i've done another step up: i bought a little miracle of an interface, the rode ai-1 which allows me to listen the full dynamic capabilities of my hp (and also it is a recording interface). I highly suggest to try a little amplification to flesh out the mids in a very spatial and natural way.
Thanks for that, your post reminded me to check my spotify setting and indeed normalization was on on mine as well... Been listening for a couple hours today and felt something a bit off.. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back