Sony MDR-1AM2 - Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #271 of 1,177
Thank you.
Did you have problems with comfort? I had DT770 32 ohm before and had problems because pads were not deep enough for me. Size was ok. But ears were touching foam inside cups where driver is. Not comfortable for me.
Also had Sennheiser Momentum 2 and pads was too small to go really over ear.

I have T1 (1st gen) and they are great in terms of comfort.

Must mention that i had also Sennhesier HD595 for 9 years and they were super comfortable.
I tried HD600, HD650 and comfort was great.

So not really sure about Sony now. I am worried that they will be too small for me. I dont have chance to try them before buy. So...
Not sure.

The Sony Mdr-1A were quite comfortable actually, just wished the pads were a bit bigger(a problem only for those who have big ears) and sometimes I did feel that my ears were a bit soar from touching the inside of the cups but that rarely happened, maybe after very long sessions.

I've read that the mdr-1Am2 are even lighter and more comfortable than the previous version.

I have the HD650 as well and use them for desktop use and they are super comfortable, the Sonys are for mobile use.

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #272 of 1,177
Ok so comfort should be fine.

That is what i am looking for. Light, comfortable headphones for "mobile" use.

I have Beyer T1 for "desktop" use.

Now just want something lighter and for use with phone, tablet...
I do watch a lot of videos, listen to music on my phone or tablet.
Still indoor use but I need something more portable, lighweight that is easy to drive.

Need to decide between Sennheiser HD569 (cheaper) and Sony MDR-1AM2.
Maybe even Yamaha HPH-MT5 (not sure about comfort)

Thank you.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #273 of 1,177
Ok so comfort should be fine.

That is what i am looking for. Light, comfortable headphones for "mobile" use.

I have Beyer T1 for "desktop" use.

Now just want something lighter and for use with phone, tablet...
I do watch a lot of videos, listen to music on my phone or tablet.
Still indoor use but I need something more portable, lighweight that is easy to drive.

Need to decide between Sennheiser HD569 (cheaper) and Sony MDR-1AM2.
Maybe even Yamaha HPH-MT5 (not sure about comfort)

Thank you.
I don't know about the Sennheiser HD569 but I know that the Sonys are very easy to drive and I consider them a fun set of cans to listen to on the go.

I don't know where you are from, but for example you can get them at around 140 euros from Amazon Italy warehouse in "Like new" condition, that's a great price considering the MSRP at 250 euros.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #274 of 1,177
Thank you.

I am close to Italy. :)
Will look on Amazon Italy. That is "steal". I can get HD 569 for around 140-160€. But if Sonys are better then i will order Sony.
Will read more reviews today and tomorrow.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #275 of 1,177
No problem!

If you want a portable can that you want to use around the house than yeah you should also consider the Sennheiser HD569. But if you want headphones to use outside on the go then in my opinion the Sonys are the better choice.

Aug 17, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #276 of 1,177
Mt5 is a very heavy headphone. The am2 is the lightest of the closed hp. 187 g, incredibly comfortable, but the pads are very narrow also for medium sized ears like mine. But they are so soft that this is not a problem for me. What i like more is the extension in both extremes: incredible. Still in search for a 2,5 mm balanced cable for max 40 euro.

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #277 of 1,177
Mt5 is a very heavy headphone. The am2 is the lightest of the closed hp. 187 g, incredibly comfortable, but the pads are very narrow also for medium sized ears like mine. But they are so soft that this is not a problem for me. What i like more is the extension in both extremes: incredible. Still in search for a 2,5 mm balanced cable for max 40 euro.
Do let me know how that search turns out. I am also looking for a similar solution.

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #278 of 1,177
Thank you. Did you have problems with comfort?

A lot of people are saying there is little sonic change between these and the prior (MDR-1A). I own the MDR-1A. The cup extend far enough to reach my ears, which 90% of headphones barely do or don't do at all. The stock pads are comfy short term. My ears are pretty flat but large in circumference so of course they touched the top and bottom of the pads but not really painfully. I put Meze 99 pads on ($20 direct from Meze and probably sold on Amazon for that). They add more space all around so my ears don't touch. If I push in on the cups just a little they'll touch the driver, but normally, no. If one has ears that stick out you may touch. The sound improvement is immense. Sub bass goes lower, mid bass slightly tighter, midrange fuller sounding, no dips. The high mids are still smooth, the highs are slightly brighter, but only slightly. Soundstage width is greatly increased. You can get those now open box for close to 1/2 probably of what these cost. They are only a little heavier, still extremely light weight. I got an longer aftermarket cable on eBay for home use with these and an inexpensive hard case for those as well there. Just get those first, skip the cable and case until later. Get the pads, I think Amazon lets you return them and they're only $20. If you want another sonic alternative, & could use a bit more ear space, the Audio Technica MSR7 pads are on eBay for $10 - $15, with free shipping. Similar spatial sound, a bit treble, slightly tamer bass. I'd just get them used (actually open box so they're like new) on eBay from someone who accepts returns with a lot of positive reviews. If they don't work with either of those pads, then these will not be for you.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #280 of 1,177
I'm loving my 1AM2 so far, but the sound leak is pretty bad. People can hear my music leaking out in a quiet environment even if the volume isn't so high. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Really really not my case. As an owner of almost 100 model of headphone i can truly say that before anyone can hear your music, you have killed your ears. The only two models Better than this are the german maestro 8.35 and the beyerdynamic dt770 monitor.

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #281 of 1,177
Really really not my case. As an owner of almost 100 model of headphone i can truly say that before anyone can hear your music, you have killed your ears. The only two models Better than this are the german maestro 8.35 and the beyerdynamic dt770 monitor.

Thanks! I'll continue to observe. It can get pretty noisy too like when you take the headphones off, you'll hear the sound from the headphones

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #283 of 1,177

I can attest to this also...I tried both the MT5 and the MT8 (for desktop use) and even then I found them both too heavy for my comfort. They sound great...but I actually got the HP151 because it was lighter and more comfortable while still sounding great to me. The 1am2 is by far much lighter and more comfortable than the MT5 and MT8 imo even at the desktop, for portability it's not even a close decision.

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #284 of 1,177
I'm loving my 1AM2 so far, but the sound leak is pretty bad. People can hear my music leaking out in a quiet environment even if the volume isn't so high. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

I also disagree with this...they are very easily powered and so even at "low" volumes they can be loud. For example, using Audacity on my desktop I set the volume around 14-18 (out of 100) whereas "most" other headphones I've used are in the upper 20s at least, many in the 30s. So, because of this they are great for being powered from a phone...can get loud easily.

With that said, they are better at passive noise cancellation than many headphones I've tried. Totally subjective here I know but I work in a research lab and we have hoods and other equipment with motors humming constantly and these knock down the ambient noise better than many headphones I've tried. Which is weird because looking at them they look "lightweight" and almost "flimsy"...it's a testament to the materials used and build quality imo...they are "more" expensive because of this.

I would certainly say THESE DO NOT LEAK easily at normal recommended volumes!

You can get a Sony certified refurbished pair of these pretty cheap right now, $129.99. Seeing they are wired and not battery powered nor wireless, should be good to go!
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Resolut...pID=410xYXA29oL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #285 of 1,177
Ive got these. They're my workout cans. I power them with a FiioQ5 for added soundquality, although one could simply power them off a phone, volume gets plenty high enough without an amp.
Isolation is good, comfort is good, mainly thanks to the soft pads and light weight. Mind you, if you have large ears, like me, your ears will touch the pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back