Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Mar 16, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #2,432 of 2,667
For anyone looking to replace the cable on the mdr 1a with an alternative 3.5mm cable, the gold metal part at the end of the headphone socket unscrews. It requires quite a bit of force to unscrew, but it does come off. Once it is unscrewed any 3.5mm should fit without any issues.

I recently replaced cable with a balanced cable, which has made some nice improvements to the sound.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #2,433 of 2,667
For anyone looking to replace the cable on the mdr 1a with an alternative 3.5mm cable, the gold metal part at the end of the headphone socket unscrews. It requires quite a bit of force to unscrew, but it does come off. Once it is unscrewed any 3.5mm should fit without any issues.

I recently replaced cable with a balanced cable, which has made some nice improvements to the sound.

good info, I just might try it on mine, I actually found a 3.5mm jack with a step down that fits but this removal of the gold barrel part might be better

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #2,434 of 2,667
Here are a couple of photos so you can see what I mean. You can see that I chipped off a bit of the plastic. I initially thought the gold sleeve clipped on, rather than screwed on. You should be able to get the sleeve off without any chips.

Going balanced with these headphones brings a real improvement. The bass becomes tighter, with better instrument separation and the mids are far more prominent. They overall sound is better balanced, clearer, while still keeping the bass.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #2,435 of 2,667
Just got these & first trip & the left ear has terrible creaking when walking or when i move my head. Any solution??? Love the sound sig & comfort but i cant u hear this creaking. Many thanks for any help. Ta.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #2,437 of 2,667
For those who don't need or want to go balanced, and don't want to unscrew this gold ring, this jack fits perfectly. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272219939682?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=571025807872&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here's an image of my custom cable attached to the MDR-1A

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #2,441 of 2,667
As it seems to be a hot topic recently, would anyone be able to clarify some things for me about creating a custom cable for the MDR-1A?

I am in need of creating a short wire ~1.5 ft with a microphone and thought of cutting off the output end of an existing microphone cable(eg link #1) and connecting it to a jack plug(eg. link #2) that would fit into the MDR-1A- building off of Pauls post above(Thanks Paul! any suggestions from you?). Then just shorten the input side.

I have read on here both that Sony's proprietary connection has the TRRS connections switched and not-switched....so which is it?  

Would anyone be able to clarify the switching issue? Any suggestions for cable building would also be appreciated(materials, cable type, sleeves) as I would also like to build a balanced cable that doesn't cost ~$100 USD that Sony sells.

link 1:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Foot-3-5mm-Male-Headphone-Audio-Cable-With-Remote-Mic-Volume-Control-/152325884125?hash=item23775488dd:g:pLQAAOSwImRYMnps
link 2:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/272323522728?var=571171472186

Also.....the 1A's on Amazon.fr are ~$150 USD right now 

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #2,442 of 2,667
Well I had a boatload of rewards points from one of my credit cards and they offered up these cans for a descent amount of points. Before pulling the trigger, I read as much as I could on this site and this particular thread, THEN hit "click" when I felt I made a good decision!
I was surprised they even offered these and expected to see some very inexpensive cans up for selection.
I'm in the process of getting my Shiit Jotunheim amp the first week of April seeing they're on back order. Never had an amp before either so I'm really stoked. I'm also running with The Sennheiser 650's so I'm really looking forward to hear what both sets of cans can do with this particular amp.
As a side-note, both cans are going to be used pretty much for movie watching on my dedicated theater. I guess I'll have to go through my Oppo to the amp to the cans.
Any words of wisdom, comments, emotional outbursts? Will these Sony's be a good fit with this amp and for movie watching? 
Cheers

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #2,443 of 2,667
  Well I had a boatload of rewards points from one of my credit cards and they offered up these cans for a descent amount of points. Before pulling the trigger, I read as much as I could on this site and this particular thread, THEN hit "click" when I felt I made a good decision!
I was surprised they even offered these and expected to see some very inexpensive cans up for selection.
I'm in the process of getting my Shiit Jotunheim amp the first week of April seeing they're on back order. Never had an amp before either so I'm really stoked. I'm also running with The Sennheiser 650's so I'm really looking forward to hear what both sets of cans can do with this particular amp.
As a side-note, both cans are going to be used pretty much for movie watching on my dedicated theater. I guess I'll have to go through my Oppo to the amp to the cans.
Any words of wisdom, comments, emotional outbursts? Will these Sony's be a good fit with this amp and for movie watching? 
Cheers

The MDR-1A will sound like a bass head headphone compared to the HD650.  While I only heard the Jot twice it was not a sound signature that I liked, a bit too bright but with the HD650 its a good match but didn't try the MDR-1A with the Jot since they don't need an amp.
For movies I like my HD700 best followed by a custom Ypsilon build, both are easy to drive and sound great out of the headphone jack of my HT receiver.  To me the HD650 does not have the sound stage for movies but is really good for kicking back to relax.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #2,444 of 2,667
I am really enjoying the HD700 at the moment, still love my HD650's though but today listening with the MDR1A's with my new Fiio X5 III they sounded great

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #2,445 of 2,667
  I am really enjoying the HD700 at the moment, still love my HD650's though but today listening with the MDR1A's with my new Fiio X5 III they sounded great

​HD700, HD650 and MDR-1A, a pretty good mix of sound signatures
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back