Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Dec 17, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #2,356 of 2,667
Omg, but i still have a bit of problems with imbalance, while soundstage feels wider in the left side, the right side have a more stronger bass, and this bothers me, there is anything i can do tô solve this?

I bought a Sony MDR-1A Black from Amazon France, also suffering from unbalanced sound. The left is stronger, the right is weaker.
It sounds like if the major sound come from 11:00 o'clock. Very noticeable when i change from any other headphones and put immediately after the MDR-1A in my head.
If i stay with them for about one hour, my ears unconsciously tend to forget that unbalance.
Experimenting with Audacity by using "Swap Stereo Channels" and "Split Stereo to Mono", the unbalance always keeps.
I'm very pleased with them in SQ (after about 20-25 hrs burn-in, treble rested, sibilance gone and mids opened), since i was looking for a closed cans with decent soundstage, highlighted bass and easy to drive, but i will return them (not decided yet if it worth to try another unit or refund).
PS: My drivers have both the same dark bronze color.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #2,359 of 2,667
  Hi,
Anyone know how these compare to sennheiser's HD598 or HD598Cs? MDR-1A are on sale right now I can get them for 115 euros wonder how these compete against HD598?

For 115 euros its a steal, I had the HD-598 and gave them away once I got other headphones, to me they were a little thin sounding and lite on the bass, just the opposite of the MDR-1A

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #2,360 of 2,667
  For 115 euros its a steal, I had the HD-598 and gave them away once I got other headphones, to me they were a little thin sounding and lite on the bass, just the opposite of the MDR-1A

Yeah I've got somewhat similar experience with 598Cs. It's like they lack some sparkle. But on the other hand I wouldn't like bass to be overflowing other frequencies in MDRA1.... Also, is soundstage good in these? I'm looking for audiophile entry-level phones and would like small sound nuances to be easily distinguished. I wonder if cups sit over ear or on top of ear in these?

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #2,361 of 2,667

Quote:
  Yeah I've got somewhat similar experience with 598Cs. It's like they lack some sparkle. But on the other hand I wouldn't like bass to be overflowing other frequencies in MDRA1.... Also, is soundstage good in these? I'm looking for audiophile entry-level phones and would like small sound nuances to be easily distinguished. I wonder if cups sit over ear or on top of ear in these?

If there is too much bass you can do the dynamat mod or medical tape mod.  The ear pads are not the largest so it depends on the size of your ears, they are about the same as MDR-7506/M50x.  I think I posted a picture of the sizes a while back:

Th-600 upper left, EL8 lower left, MDR-1A on the right

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #2,362 of 2,667
Gotta admit the idea of neccesity to fix them before I even bought them is something off putting for me. Nevertheless I think I'll be deciding between MDR1A and AKG K550.

As for the squaking issue is it something happening to every unit or just some? Maybe Sony fixed this issue in recent batches?

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #2,363 of 2,667
  Gotta admit the idea of neccesity to fix them before I even bought them is something off putting for me. Nevertheless I think I'll be deciding between MDR1A and AKG K550.

As for the squaking issue is it something happening to every unit or just some? Maybe Sony fixed this issue in recent batches?

I would listen to them first before even thinking about doing any mods, to some the bass is acceptable while others like me find it a bit muddy and overly emphasized.  I haven't heard a K550 but its close to a K553 IIRC, very different sounds.  Since you say you are looking for entry level reference sound I think the K550 would the better choice, only issue might be the seal of the ear pads which needs to be good for them to sound good.

Mine don't squeak at the hinges, seems to be a problem with a few but its easy to fix.

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #2,364 of 2,667
I think I probably came from overly bassy headphones so these seem pretty balanced in comparison. I've been thoughroughly enjoying these, been playing anything and everything under the sun and like the way they play most anything.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #2,365 of 2,667
I like the mdr1a but that bass, although great with some music can bleed up into the mids. It shows especially with podcasts where you have male spoken voice. It can be a bit boomy.

For music, they're like an indulgence!!

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #2,367 of 2,667
Today i am going to post a mod for this cans.If you feel sony mdr-1a following shortcomings.

Shotcomings:-
Bass has no slam
no subbass;midbass bump
not airy as openback ;if you find it roomy sound and also to the face sound.

Improvements:-
Bass Qualiy
No distortion
Ear Sweating decreases significantly
Instrument now sounds clearer
open feeling like hd650

Steps:-
First of all ;remove the white sticker/diffusing paper on the both side of driver on the top.see fig-1.

Now unscrew them.Put any damping material dynamat/blu -tack whichever available to you.check fig-2.

Now the important part of the mod.The white stuff is a diffusing paper which has tuning apperatus hole which control the bass.To acheive
the subbass or good quality sound; we have to first remove the white paper film on the back side of driver;i already removed that as we can see in fig-3.After that put some damping material like polyfoam/fiberglass/rock wool/any acoustic fiber whatever available in your location;put it on the side of the driver as in figure.

Now the last part of mod is remove the black cotton one on the air vent as well;if you want more airer sound.

That' all ;screw the driver and put the pad.Now you will hear a wholenew openback sony mdr-1a;not the closed one we bought.Hahaaa
Try the mod.Report me how is your impression.

Regards.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #2,368 of 2,667
Hey,

I just tried your mod. To be honest I didn't liked it first so I tried around. There was absolutely no bass at all left. Maybe I didn't used enough acoustic fiber idk ...
So I covered up the upper half of the holes at the front with medical tape.

Now I got some bass back but its still very airy for an MDR-1R (got the old one...)

But I think it can get much better, so I ordered some Velour pads, which I wanted to try anyway (Beyer. EDT 250 ones), and will try around after I got them.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #2,369 of 2,667
  Hey,

I just tried your mod. To be honest I didn't liked it first so I tried around. There was absolutely no bass at all left. Maybe I didn't used enough acoustic fiber idk ...
So I covered up the upper half of the holes at the front with medical tape.

Now I got some bass back but its still very airy for an MDR-1R (got the old one...)

But I think it can get much better, so I ordered some Velour pads, which I wanted to try anyway (Beyer. EDT 250 ones), and will try around after I got them.

ACoustic fiber tames the treble and increased bass;Without fiber sound distorted to me.i don't get any fiber just wrap them with cotton which is used for medical use.MDR-1R is bass light compare to MDR-1A;For bass i suggest you to try blu-tack instead of dynamat/surgical tape on the back of the driver.Don't put excessive blu-tack ;more thickness yields more bass.

i think MDR-1R have 2 vents;just open one vent only.Remember different fiber yield different result.The amount of fiber required is just to cover the area from which the diffusing paper is removed;except that no need anywhere.Don't use surgical tape anywhere ;it is too bad as a damping material.As i live in a location where neither dynamat nor acoustic fiber available;so stick with these limited options.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2,370 of 2,667
The Beyer pads arrived today, pretty fast delivery...

I think I've found my final "setting" for the 1R's.

I use the 1R's with Beyer DT250 pads and the Dynamat mod (But I used Sorbothane instead of Dynamat and a bit medical tape).

And also parts of your mod. Removed like shown in the first pic. the cover of the holes, but covered up the upper half again with medical tape.
Also removed the covering on the backside complete, like you.
Than added a bit of acoustic fiber inside but let the bassport untouched.

And I reeeealy likem now. Sounds like a little and closed version of the Senn. HD700 to me now.

Thanks for your mod ; )

Kai

Users who are viewing this thread

Back