Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
May 26, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #752 of 2,667
Took some pictures for everyone interested.

The Peg Testtm - One of the main reasons why the MDR-1A is so comfortable.

Ear cup size comparison between the MDR-1A (left) and Momentum 2.0 (right)

Ear cup depth - Tilted drivers on the MDR-1A vs using thicker padding to achieve the same tilt on the M2.

Some quick conclusions about bass (the biggest difference imo between the M2 and the MDR-1A)

The M2 is more neutral than the MDR-1A. Both have same sort of characteristic warm sound. Both share the same transparency.

Songs which lack bass on the M2, have lack of bass.
Songs which lack bass on the MDR-1A have some bass.

Proper high quality music that is mixed neutral, are flat on the M2. Music which has too much bass (poor mixes) have too much bass on the MDR-1A, whereas the M2 now starts to become enjoyable for me. This is otherwise known as a compromise, and either can be fixed via EQ.

In short, listen to higher quality sources and the MDR-1A will reward you with more enjoyment, because the added bass serves to give more to a sound, that is already mixed well.

Looking forward to see how the MDR-1A improves over the next 100 hours or so, I think the bass is only going to get tighter, which would be fantastic. But I've got my ideal bass quantity, now perfect.

May 26, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #756 of 2,667
May 26, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #757 of 2,667
  Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the MDR-1A vs. the MDR-1ABT? If the 1ABT offers the same performance then I might go with that, but if the 1A is better, then I'm not really in need of a bluetooth capable set.

I have tested the 1ABT before but my testing come to no clear conclusion is there any difference.
The 1ABT allows you to have gesture control which is cool but the sound quality I will need to test it further.

May 27, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #758 of 2,667
  Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the MDR-1A vs. the MDR-1ABT? If the 1ABT offers the same performance then I might go with that, but if the 1A is better, then I'm not really in need of a bluetooth capable set.

I have tested the 1ABT before but my testing come to no clear conclusion is there any difference.
The 1ABT allows you to have gesture control which is cool but the sound quality I will need to test it further.

Can anyone please compare sound quality of Sony MDR-1A vs Sony MDR-1ABT(wired) 

I want to buy Sony MDR-1ABT if Sony MDR-1ABT (wired) sound quality equal to Sony MDR-1A 

Actually I want normal version Sony MDR-1A because I know that bluetooth will drop sound quality but if Sony MDR-1ABT connected via wire give a similar sound compare to Sony MDR-1A so I will go with Sony MDR-1ABT and using it with cable and go wireless for some occasionally.

May 27, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #759 of 2,667

Can anyone please compare sound quality of Sony MDR-1A vs Sony MDR-1ABT(wired) 

I want to buy Sony MDR-1ABT if Sony MDR-1ABT (wired) sound quality equal to Sony MDR-1A 

Actually I want normal version Sony MDR-1A because I know that bluetooth will drop sound quality but if Sony MDR-1ABT connected via wire give a similar sound compare to Sony MDR-1A so I will go with Sony MDR-1ABT and using it with cable and go wireless for some occasionally.

I have also tested VIA the wired and yes it sound the same like 1A.
However I would suggest you to test it out first.
Btw even for this model, you can use the Sony upgraded cable which I used during the testing.  

May 28, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #761 of 2,667
For those interested, I just posted a more detailed and formal review of these on the MDR-1A product page. I'll be taking some high quality pics to supplement it as well. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-1a-premium-hi-res-stereo-headphones/reviews/13229

Feel free to let me know what y'all think. 

Thanks for a truly great review. It's really nice when people don't take themselves too seriously - we are all in this hobby for the fun!

Just two questions, when you say your hunt is over, what headphones are you coming from/comparing against?
And how many times have you thought you've arrived at the end station, only to find that your journey soon continues? :wink:

May 29, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #763 of 2,667
  Does anyone know if the V-Moda BoomPro Mic will work/fit with the MDR-1A's?

I do believe it will work as both has the recessed plug type. People often recommend the V-Moda cable or MDR-1r/MDR-1a cable to fit into the Oppo PM-3. Do note have have not personally tested this.

May 30, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #764 of 2,667
Thanks for a truly great review. It's really nice when people don't take themselves too seriously - we are all in this hobby for the fun!

Just two questions, when you say your hunt is over, what headphones are you coming from/comparing against?
And how many times have you thought you've arrived at the end station, only to find that your journey soon continues?
wink.gif

Those are some very valid questions. When I say the hunt is over, I mean to say that finding a $300 or less pair of headphones that checks off all the boxes, so to speak. It also means that at some point in the future, If I decide to find another pair of over-ears to buy, I will probably be looking closer to the summit-fi range of headphones out there. 

I looked and listened to Bang & Olufsen H6, Bowers & Wilkins P7, Beats Studio (Contemplated Wireless version), Sony XB950BT, and Sony MDRX10. I read reviews for most of those as well. I didn't have a chance to listen to the V-Moda M100s and the Audio Technica ATH-M50X and those were two I was interested in, but couldn't find a demo. I read and watch basically every review I could of those so I could get somewhat of an idea as to the sound qualities. 

Each headset in that list has pluses and minuses, but when it came down to it the Sony MDR-1R covered the three most important things I was looking for. Overall design and style, level of comfort, and most importantly the sound quality, which of course can be subjective in some aspects (not all). There are tradeoffs with literally every pair of headphones you will ever purchase and that is certainly true with the MDR-1R. The only ones I really see are lack of active noise cancellation (no batteries is good though!), folding earcups, and highly portable.

As to your second question, I probably have a solid 6 weeks left at this station... Then when "shiny object syndrome" kicks in again and decide I want something like the Audeze EL-8, then it's time to pack up, hit the road, and visit a few more stations
tongue.gif
  Then I'll post another review stating "BEST HEADPHONE EVARRRR".

May 30, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #765 of 2,667
So after some research and consideration I bought mdr-1a. Love the sound, the bass seems a little too emphasized though.  I tried m50x which I had comfort issues with, and some ultrasone perfomance series, but the sound didnt live up to my expectations.And I think it is always a good idea to go with company's flagship model so that engineers dont compromise anything. Anyway, can anyone tell me if earpads on this headphones are replaceable? Also, can you please share a link to some third-party cables for this headset that will not break the bank? ( im looking for 3m cable for home use) as i understand this model has some fancy system, so not all cables will fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back