Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
May 30, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #766 of 2,667
  So after some research and consideration I bought mdr-1a. Love the sound, the bass seems a little too emphasized though.  I tried m50x which I had comfort issues with, and some ultrasone perfomance series, but the sound didnt live up to my expectations.And I think it is always a good idea to go with company's flagship model so that engineers dont compromise anything. Anyway, can anyone tell me if earpads on this headphones are replaceable? Also, can you please share a link to some third-party cables for this headset that will not break the bank? ( im looking for 3m cable for home use) as i understand this model has some fancy system, so not all cables will fit.

I can't answer your other questions, but the 1As respond well to EQ cuts at 125, 250, and 500hz. Cutting these frequencies just a little (about -1.5db) can clean the sound up. If you use a smartphone as your DAP then a great move is to buy (under $10) Neutron which is an audiophile player software. It uses a parametric EQ which allows you to target the cuts and keep them from being too wide for lack of a better term. Well worth the money. The 1A is a nice headphone. I kept mine rather than sell them despite having a KEF M500 as my portable can. The 1As are very nice.

May 30, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #767 of 2,667
  So after some research and consideration I bought mdr-1a. Love the sound, the bass seems a little too emphasized though.  I tried m50x which I had comfort issues with, and some ultrasone perfomance series, but the sound didnt live up to my expectations.And I think it is always a good idea to go with company's flagship model so that engineers dont compromise anything. Anyway, can anyone tell me if earpads on this headphones are replaceable? Also, can you please share a link to some third-party cables for this headset that will not break the bank? ( im looking for 3m cable for home use) as i understand this model has some fancy system, so not all cables will fit.

I bought a 1.5 meter cable for my Sennheiser HD 598's from this seller was pleased. It looks like it's almost the exact same, except for the end where it connects to the actual headphones of course.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-SONY-MDR-1A-headphones-/311305027178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item487b39be6a

May 31, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #768 of 2,667

If you can do some soldering you can build your own, only need to find a 3.5mm TRS that has a small step down collar, I've been using 3.5mm plugs from Double Helix.  I've posted some pictures on this thread a few months back.  If you can't solder, look at a 3.5mm male to male TRS like this one: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4561, notice how narrow the barrel is.
Ear pads are replaceable.

May 31, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #770 of 2,667
  how do these compare to the momentum 2 or v-moda m100? i'm thinking about buying either one.

The MDR-1A would sit in-between them, sound wise. But the M2 and M100 are two different directions entirely. I have no experience of the M100 but the MDR-1A is doing the V shaped, "fun" headphone signature, whereas the M2 is doing the n shaped, neutral but warm. Both have the same frequency extension (Hi-res is marketing gimmick ) same resolution, and same clarity / transparency.

Out of all of them, the M100 is the best built, but highest risk of being potentially uncomfortable and it's the most expensive (possibly requiring the XL earpads, as an additional purchase)

The MDR-1A has the lowest risk of being uncomfortable at it is literally is the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn (bar the Fidelio X2) and the M2 is in-between, because of the rigid headband.

The MDR-1A and M100 would be a lower risk purchase as their sound is more in-line with "modern" tastes. But if you definitely know that you really dislike any sort of added bass bloom, the M2 would be a better for quiet listening to anything vocal.

The M100 has the highest bass quantity and control, honky mids (e.g. recessed cymbals) medium soundstage width, sparkling treble.
The MDR-1A has a medium boosted bass quantity, not as well controlled as the M100, slightly recessed mids, largest soundstage width, laid back treble.
The M2 has neutral bass, raised mids, medium soundstage width, laid back treble. Warm, but will seem "boring" to the average listener.

May 31, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #771 of 2,667
@Kabonfaiba
i currently work at best buy, so i get a HUGE discount on headphones.  I want to get a good pair before i quit in a few weeks.  I already returned my 1a because it started to make creaking sounds only after 5 days of usage.  Since i'm looking for a pair that will last me a long time, I'm going to probably buy the m100.  btw guys, headphones are crazy marked up.  I can't disclose in detail how much discount i get, but it's around 30-40% off.  40% off on Beats.  that should give you an idea of the kind of headphones Beats are.

May 31, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #772 of 2,667
  @Kabonfaiba
i currently work at best buy, so i get a HUGE discount on headphones.  I want to get a good pair before i quit in a few weeks.  I already returned my 1a because it started to make creaking sounds only after 5 days of usage.  Since i'm looking for a pair that will last me a long time, I'm going to probably buy the m100.  btw guys, headphones are crazy marked up.  I can't disclose in detail how much discount i get, but it's around 30-40% off.  40% off on Beats.  that should give you an idea of the kind of headphones Beats are.

That's interesting because my MDR-1A was creaking straight out of the box. Happens on one side only right? The (L) cable side for me, just below where MDR-1A is written.

I'm monitoring it to see if it gets any worse, maybe a defect.

May 31, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #773 of 2,667

That's interesting because my MDR-1A was creaking straight out of the box. Happens on one side only right? The (L) cable side for me, just below where MDR-1A is written.

I'm monitoring it to see if it gets any worse, maybe a defect.

I think it's because of the plastic hinge rubbing against the metal head band.  you could probably fix the sound by adding some oil in there, but I didnt want to bother...especially with a new product. I would have kept my 1a outright if not for the creak.

oh and mine was the right side headband hinge.

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #774 of 2,667
I really love the sound and look of these headphones, nothing to complain about there!

My main annoyances are with the build quality.  Does anyone else's headband have a crease at the very top when you widen the headphones to put them around your head?  Tried pressing it back into place, but it eventually forms again.  Also, the right earcup on my pair is looser than the left earcup, so it rotates easier than the left side.  These are minor things that I can definitely live with, but I wonder if anyone else has encountered this and might know a fix.

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #775 of 2,667
  I really love the sound and look of these headphones, nothing to complain about there!

My main annoyances are with the build quality.  Does anyone else's headband have a crease at the very top when you widen the headphones to put them around your head?  Tried pressing it back into place, but it eventually forms again.  Also, the right earcup on my pair is looser than the left earcup, so it rotates easier than the left side.  These are minor things that I can definitely live with, but I wonder if anyone else has encountered this and might know a fix.

Yes on the crease, no on the looseness.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #777 of 2,667
  No on the crease, yes on the losseness (both sides).

Talk about inconsistency!

Those look like old Tama lugs on the tom in your avatar. Is that an old Tama tom?

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #778 of 2,667

Those look like old Tama lugs on the tom in your avatar. Is that an old Tama tom?

biggrin.gif
It's a custom made electronic trigger tom with a Di-noc wrap. I was naturally drawn to choose that lug design, given I'm a big fan of Tama.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #779 of 2,667

biggrin.gif
It's a custom made electronic trigger tom with a Di-noc wrap. I was naturally drawn to choose that lug design, given I'm a big fan of Tama.

Sweet, I had a  pair of older Tama Omni Sphere stand mounted Toms that I used with an old Pearl Export and I recognized those lugs right away. You know you're a drum geek when ....

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #780 of 2,667
guys today i recieved my new pair of sony :D i can say only one things about them: i'm love! they are really comfortable, and the sound is great!
I read that some headphone needs to be used like for one day at high volume before works at his best. Do you have some suggestion about that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back