Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
May 24, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #736 of 2,667

Well, the comfort is supreme with the 1A so that is covered. The bass will be the only possible spot of trouble. The bass quantity is excellent, the quality is good, but there is some bloom. That said, the bloom can be cleaned up with some minor EQ cuts. I actually felt the 1A had nicer treble than the Z7 as it was more extended and going by memory as I haven't heard the 1A in a month now the treble was pretty clean. I think given the build quality as well as good looks that at the street price this headphone can be had for it is an excellent value. I also liked that the 1A has some scale of sound to it meaning it sounds pretty big to me. Anyway, no headphone will be perfect, but based on what you are describing it sounds like the 1A has a really good chance of satisfying your current needs.

The only negative to me is that for whatever reason they are harder to sell used which makes no sense. For you maybe that is a good thing as used you might find a pretty sick price out there.

thanks for you're answer :) i'm not planning to sell them XD actually i think to keep them for at least 5/6 years :) did you ever tried my hd439? can you do a comparation to them?

May 24, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #737 of 2,667
  thanks for you're answer :) i'm not planning to sell them XD actually i think to keep them for at least 5/6 years :) did you ever tried my hd439? can you do a comparation to them?

Sorry brother, never heard that headphone. The only Senn I ever owned was an HD650. I thought you were asking about the 1A as you were thinking of buying them, I didn't know you already own them. Good luck, hopefully somebody else comes along who has heard the HD439. You might want to create an HD439 versus MDR 1A thread.

May 26, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #738 of 2,667
I originally heard the mdr 1 rnc off of a friend - loved it! I in particular am in favor of a highly detailed sound especially in the highs while keeping a relaxed laid back signature.

question is, the mdr 1a sound more v/u shape than the 1r according to the reviews (unless I misread)...some bass bloat complaints here and there...

it makes the 1r less bloated and more relaxed... am I wrong in my conclusion?

May 26, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #739 of 2,667
i think its the other way around tho both have bass boosts and lush mids, so not exactly neutral tuned headphone.

just get the newer version mdr1a imo

May 26, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #740 of 2,667
i think its the other way around tho both have bass boosts and lush mids, so not exactly neutral tuned headphone.

just get the newer version mdr1a imo

Yes this!

I also just now realized that the MDR-1A's bloated bass reduces quite a bit when driven by low output impedance amps.

I have driven it mostly out of my desktop rigs, both of them have 10 Ohms output impedance, which is not ideal with a 24 Ohm Headphone.

Driving it from the 0.32 Ohm output impedance Cayin C5 makes the MDR-1A sound less bloated.  

That might be worth checking as well, the lower the output impedance - the lower the bass bloat...

May 26, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #741 of 2,667
I originally heard the mdr 1 rnc off of a friend - loved it! I in particular am in favor of a highly detailed sound especially in the highs while keeping a relaxed laid back signature.

question is, the mdr 1a sound more v/u shape than the 1r according to the reviews (unless I misread)...some bass bloat complaints here and there...

it makes the 1r less bloated and more relaxed... am I wrong in my conclusion?

Opposite IMO: if you want a more balanced portable sound, try the Momentum's or PM3's.

May 26, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #742 of 2,667
Opposite IMO: if you want a more balanced portable sound, try the Momentum's or PM3's.

i actually agree with this as well. pm-3 if lookin for neutral. momentum is slightly vshaped. mdr1a has a midcentric sound w mid bass emphasis

May 26, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #743 of 2,667
Pm-3 is a fair amout more expensive than what you can get the mdr-1a for though. Although if price isn't that much of an issue I'd also suggested stretching to get the pm-3's. They sound like they're just what you're looking for.

May 26, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #744 of 2,667
i actually agree with this as well. pm-3 if lookin for neutral. momentum is slightly vshaped. mdr1a has a midcentric sound w mid bass emphasis

Yes, PM-3 gets my vote too! VERY neutral does nothing wrong....

May 26, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #745 of 2,667
  Pm-3 is a fair amout more expensive than what you can get the mdr-1a for though. Although if price isn't that much of an issue I'd also suggested stretching to get the pm-3's. They sound like they're just what you're looking for.

Yes, depending where you live the MDR-1A can be had for $180 and less - so half the price of the PM-3.

cheers,
K

May 26, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #746 of 2,667
is the 1a more balanced compared to the 1r then? I can't help but notice the complaints on the bass by some reviewers...

I'm basically looking for something laid back...but well detailed with extended highs.

May 26, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #747 of 2,667
is the 1a more balanced compared to the 1r then? I can't help but notice the complaints on the bass by some reviewers...

I'm basically looking for something laid back...but well detailed with extended highs.

from be more balanced iirc from comparative reviews. do note I haven't had the personal pleasure of doing direct comparisons, but perhaps other reviewers can comment here. also, try searching through this thread. I do believe quite a few very good comparative impressions posted in here.

May 26, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #748 of 2,667
Just got my MDR-1AS today.

First impressions are incredible. I reach out to touch the headband with bated breath; Thankyou Sony!

It's about 4x in magnitude of comfort than the Momentum 2.0. The ear pads look shallower than the M2's boxy cups, but what's this? My ears don't touch the drivers at all... In fact, I have to put quite a bit of pressure on the side to make any contact. FYI I have the MDR-1AS on it's minimum size setting, like the M2.

First thing I noticed right away; the bass ports aren't fully open; they're already partially covered. Is this the way it's meant to be out of the box? Or did Sony update the headphone? I understand the mod is filling the port with blutack up to the hole. Please fill me in on this.

Sound; this is strange.

Without burn-in, I'm finding the MDR-1AS to sound exactly the same as the M2, but without that harsh upper-mid edge. Otherwise; same frequency extension, same bass detail, same sound-stage, slight increase in mid-bass (
tongue.gif
it's not bass-head levels) Basically, the MDR-1AS has just beaten the M2 on sound right away. I feel the M2 is overpriced right now, even at £180 for the ivory atm.
I need to do some more listening to confirm the subtle changes. But I'm having too much fun with the volume maxed.
L3000.gif

May 26, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #749 of 2,667
After using for several months now, my earbuds cushion have started to peel off.
Don't know is it because of the hot weather in Singapore that cause the leather
to melt since I wear it for long distance walks.
I will visit the Service centre and see whether can the cushion be replaced.

May 26, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #750 of 2,667
  Just got my MDR-1AS today.

First impressions are incredible. I reach out to touch the headband with bated breath; Thankyou Sony!

It's about 4x in magnitude of comfort than the Momentum 2.0. The ear pads look shallower than the M2's boxy cups, but what's this? My ears don't touch the drivers at all... In fact, I have to put quite a bit of pressure on the side to make any contact. FYI I have the MDR-1AS on it's minimum size setting, like the M2.

First thing I noticed right away; the bass ports aren't fully open; they're already partially covered. Is this the way it's meant to be out of the box? Or did Sony update the headphone? I understand the mod is filling the port with blutack up to the hole. Please fill me in on this.

Sound; this is strange.

Without burn-in, I'm finding the MDR-1AS to sound exactly the same as the M2, but without that harsh upper-mid edge. Otherwise; same frequency extension, same bass detail, same sound-stage, slight increase in mid-bass (
tongue.gif
it's not bass-head levels) Basically, the MDR-1AS has just beaten the M2 on sound right away. I feel the M2 is overpriced right now, even at £180 for the ivory atm.
I need to do some more listening to confirm the subtle changes. But I'm having too much fun with the volume maxed.
L3000.gif

Very interesting... People usually seem to compare the m2 and pm-3 and for the most part consider them to be on the same level. Only thing is I've compared the mdr 1a and pm-3 and I think the pm-3 is at least a notch above the 1a. If that's true then I just lost all interest in the m2!

I kinda want to get an mdr 1a though, I find it a fun headphone and the comfort is still something else. I miss my mdr 1r... 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back