Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Jan 13, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #348 of 2,667
Get a regular 3.5mm female-to-male, and just connect that to the end of your existing plug. The 4-pole plug is only at the headphone end, the rest of the plug is the same as other 3.5mm jacks.

As extention for TV, 3 pole cable will be fine, the 1A coms anyway with an 3 and 4 pole cable

Okay then I will get an ordinary extension, thank you very much!

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #350 of 2,667
The remote cable have on both ends 4 pole plug

Yep, I stand corrected. Keep forgetting that TRRS connections are different (but ever-so-slightly).

By the way, I'm getting ever-so-slight creaking when I'm putting on the headphone, and one of the left earcup's mounting point is very slightly loose. Anyone getting those problems (I'm just nitpicking now, I really don't have any other criticisms so far)?

Jan 14, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #351 of 2,667
I have had the 1A a few weeks now, and I think they are excellent for their price.

One problem that I am having is that the right side has become very creaky - this is in the last third of the headband and in the fixings themselves. The left side does not do this.

Has anyone else had this problem? I had heard of it in the 1R but not the 1A. I don't want to bother returning them for replacement if they all do this because I like the phones themselves too much.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #352 of 2,667
  I have had the 1A a few weeks now, and I think they are excellent for their price.

One problem that I am having is that the right side has become very creaky - this is in the last third of the headband and in the fixings themselves. The left side does not do this.

Has anyone else had this problem? I had heard of it in the 1R but not the 1A. I don't want to bother returning them for replacement if they all do this because I like the phones themselves too much.

Does it creak while you move your head around? Mine only creaks when I put it on my head, so it's not too big of a deal-breaker for me. Funnily enough, it's the other side of the cans which creak for me more.

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #353 of 2,667

Does it creak while you move your head around? Mine only creaks when I put it on my head, so it's not too big of a deal-breaker for me. Funnily enough, it's the other side of the cans which creak for me more.

No, it only creaks when I put it on as well. The only thing that worried me slightly was that it was not really noticeable at all when I got the set, but now it is definitely noticeable. I am not sure if it was actually getting worse, or just now that I have noticed it I can't ignore it!

I don't really want to get into a cycle of returning it and possibly getting a worse one as my set is great apart from that.

Thanks for your reply.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #354 of 2,667
No, it only creaks when I put it on as well. The only thing that worried me slightly was that it was not really noticeable at all when I got the set, but now it is definitely noticeable. I am not sure if it was actually getting worse, or just now that I have noticed it I can't ignore it!

I don't really want to get into a cycle of returning it and possibly getting a worse one as my set is great apart from that.

Thanks for your reply.

I honestly don't know. The creaking isn't God-awful for me, but it's certainly noticeable, even in the beginning. My friend's Beats certainly creaked more, and his lasted a while.

Might be safer to send a email to Sony or Amazon telling them this, and seeing what their response is.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #356 of 2,667
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to order the MDR-1A:s on the Dustin sale, mention earlier in this thread. However, the delivery has been delayed to some time in February, so I have plenty of time for second thoughts...

After reading everything I can on the web, it seems that consensus is that they are clearly inferior -  soundwise -  to NAD Viso HP50, Sennheiser Momentum, PSB M4U 1 and other similiar headphones. Would you say that this difference could be easily fixed by some equalizing, (ie, is it all about tonality) or do the others excel in other ways? Seems to me that almost everyone praises the MDR-1A:s extraordinary comfort, great soundstage, low distorsion/sibilance,stunning looks etc, but don't fully agree on the sound signature chosen by Sony.

To cut to the chase, would some light EQing turn these $130 headphones to $300-can-killers?

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #357 of 2,667
  Hi all,

I was lucky enough to order the MDR-1A:s on the Dustin sale, mention earlier in this thread. However, the delivery has been delayed to some time in February, so I have plenty of time for second thoughts...

After reading everything I can on the web, it seems that consensus is that they are clearly inferior -  soundwise -  to NAD Viso HP50, Sennheiser Momentum, PSB M4U 1 and other similiar headphones. Would you say that this difference could be easily fixed by some equalizing, (ie, is it all about tonality) or do the others excel in other ways? Seems to me that almost everyone praises the MDR-1A:s extraordinary comfort, great soundstage, low distorsion/sibilance,stunning looks etc, but don't fully agree on the sound signature chosen by Sony.

To cut to the chase, would some light EQing turn these $130 headphones to $300-can-killers?

lol ya, it's just preference. listen to them & see if you like the sound signature. if you like their sound signature, it's a great pair of headphones. if you want something more neutral-ish, hp50 & momentum I think would be solid choices in the mid-fi portable closed category.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #359 of 2,667
  Hi all,

The only way to really tell is to see if you like the sound signature is to listen to them. If you have only paid $130 for them, you will easily get your money back if you decide you don't like them.

I have had my MDR-1As about a month, and I have had over-ear Momentums for around 18 months.

So far, the MDR-1As have replaced the Momentums, but I am not selling the latter just in case it is 'new toy syndrome' making me prefer the Sony's.

The Momentums are definitely more neutral and smoother, but the Sony's have a fun sound signature with a slightly elevated bass and a good amount of detail. They sound great with both my Sony A15 and iPhone 6.

In terms of build, I think that the quality difference reflects the original UK price difference of these sets which is £170 for the Sony and £260 for the Momentum. There is a lot of plastic in the Sony's construction and this causes creaking in one side of the phones after one month and the Momentums have nothing like that even though they are older and very well used. For me, the build of the B&W P5s that I used to own are much better than both sets.

The comfort of the Sony's is in a different league to the Momentums - the earcups fit better, the clamping force is just right and the lighter construction makes them less noticeable on the head.

Isolation is better on the Momentum, but there is not that much in it.

The only real downside that I have noticed on the MDR-1A is the way it handles wind noise - much louder than the Momentum and other over ear sets that I have used in the past.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #360 of 2,667

The only way to really tell is to see if you like the sound signature is to listen to them. If you have only paid $130 for them, you will easily get your money back if you decide you don't like them.

I have had my MDR-1As about a month, and I have had over-ear Momentums for around 18 months.

So far, the MDR-1As have replaced the Momentums, but I am not selling the latter just in case it is 'new toy syndrome' making me prefer the Sony's.

The Momentums are definitely more neutral and smoother, but the Sony's have a fun sound signature with a slightly elevated bass and a good amount of detail. They sound great with both my Sony A15 and iPhone 6.

In terms of build, I think that the quality difference reflects the original UK price difference of these sets which is £170 for the Sony and £260 for the Momentum. There is a lot of plastic in the Sony's construction and this causes creaking in one side of the phones after one month and the Momentums have nothing like that even though they are older and very well used. For me, the build of the B&W P5s that I used to own are much better than both sets.

The comfort of the Sony's is in a different league to the Momentums - the earcups fit better, the clamping force is just right and the lighter construction makes them less noticeable on the head.

Isolation is better on the Momentum, but there is not that much in it.

The only real downside that I have noticed on the MDR-1A is the way it handles wind noise - much louder than the Momentum and other over ear sets that I have used in the past.

Seconded: they are 100% NOT audiophile-tuned (extreme balanced and neutral). Doesn't change the fact that this is the signature I love, ie. it's the first headphone which I don't need to equalise to enjoy. That being said, they are no '$300-can-killers': not even by a country mile. Maybe if you equalise it, but considering I don't like flat and balanced sound signatures, you really have to get your hands on it to see if you could. Though, the creaking's a bit of a downside, though looking at the reports on the MDR-1R, it's much better.

AND speak of the devil, the creaking's gone. What the hell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back