Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Oct 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #61 of 2,667
Still early stages.  I think I am leaning on preferring the 1A more.  But it's not as obvious as I think it should be.

Little stream of consciousness here, as I swap the 1A and 1R mk 2.  Listening at the laptop with the Meridian Explorer.

There certainly is a lot more, fuller, bass with the 1A.  No doubt this gives it a much richer sound than the 1R mk 2.

The quality of the bass is OK, but not great.  It's not as defined as some other cans I've owned.  Which isn't fair considering I'm comparing the bass definition to the Qualia 010, lol. 

I'd say the extra bass does lean a bit on the flabby side.  Not horribly so.  But it's just not as tight as I would like it to be, and it just is what it is.  Guess bass quantity for me goes to the 1R mk 2, but I certainly am not a bass-head.  Just miss the definitively defined bass of other better cans.  But that's why they're better cans, lol.

But as a result of the fuller bass, it does seem richer.  Definition on the bass is fine.  Not world class, but not terrible.

Soundstaging feels better on the 1A.  The 1R certainly isn't a slouch.  But switching back and forth, the 3Dness of the 1R seems just a touch flatter.  1R still images quite fine, which was always one of the reasons I like it, but there is something deeper, more 3D, about the 1A.  Soundstage width is about the same, though maybe a touch more filled out in the 1A.

I sense more definition in the 1A.  Edges feel slightly more defined, a touch more macrodetail though not really microdetail (except on the midbass).  Microdetail on the midbass is more noticable as there's a lot more of it with the 1A. 

I notice a nice separation that defines background vocals/instruments nicely and more noticeable in a nice way.  Going back to the 1R after listening to the 1A, it (the 3Dness coming from the definition/separation) just loses a touch of shine.  Flatter is the word that keeps coming to mind.

Ugh, just switched songs - 1A has too much bass on this song.  It's full, somewhat flabby but not obese.  It's like a cute girl who's not fat, but can feel kind of squishy depending on how you lean on her.  It's not neutral.  I don't know what neutral is, but there's a significant bass hump relative to cans I've always considered to be neutral - Grado HP1000, Stax SR-X mk 3.  But this is something a little EQ or different electronics can remedy -- the Meridian Explorer is a fuller, more warm sound, which compounds this trait.  The 1R mk 2 doesn't suffer from this, though I imagine bass heads will complain about this.

Going back to the 1R, the tonal balance feels more natural to me, though perhaps slightly light on the bass.

Swapping back to the 1A, the greater air (due to not being as "flat") is noticeable.  The bass has decent detail but I'd call it slow, not fast.

Plugging in the Stax SR-X mk 3 the flatter tonal curve is immediately noticable.  The Sonys share similar V shaped curves, with more emphasis in the bass (even the 1R) and lower treble.  Sonys can't compete on definition and texture to the electrostatic, but given they're consumer portable headphones, they're outclassed but not too embarassed.  3Dness of the soundstage is better on the Sonys, though perhaps faker, but that's the nature/dilemma of headphones that have angled drivers versus the more straightforward SR-X mk 3/HP1000 approach.

Hmm, lol, after putting on the SR-X, there's no desire to swap back to the Sonys.  :)  But not like I can carry these (and the amp and transformer) in a backpack.

-Jason

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #63 of 2,667
Ordered the MDR-1A to replace my V-Moda M100 and just received them. The first impression is actually really similar: strong bass! Sounds punchier to me than the M100. Sadly I'm not good at describing sounds so I'll refrain from saying more, but altogether I like what I'm hearing.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #64 of 2,667
Even more bass than the MDR-1R? 
eek.gif

There goes any hope for a more balanced headphone...

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #65 of 2,667
This sounds like a headphone for my tastes. I'm looking for ^-- shape response, can these 1A be described as that? Everything so far fits to my tastes, especially I hate emphasized highs with a passion, for me I prefer softer but still present highs, the Sennheiser midrange open headphones do highs particularly well to my tastes, soft in the texturing or rather smooth but not lacking in presence but not emphasized either, at least that's my experience with HD 598 which I've had quite extensive demo experiencing with and I hear it share somewhat similar characteristics with HD600/650 in highs which I've just managed to demo very briefly so it's more difficult to say.

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #67 of 2,667
  @RPGWiZaRD: Compared to the DT990 the lows are more emphasized and highs indeed softer, if that helps you somehow. All in all a more "fun" signature.

Sounds great but DT990 Pro 250 ohm, is it that one you're referring to maybe? That one has pretty hefty bass boost already which would would make this A1 into a basshead category to me, I guess it's because of the closed nature since open cans can't quite give that closed-back bass action. Anyway it sounds like I definitely have to keep an eye on these. Thanks for the comparison. The DT990 Pro 250 ohm are good to me except for the annoying highs, if the highs would be tamed, give ever so slightly more "impact" in the bass (not necessarily louder) and it's a good fit for my needs.

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #71 of 2,667
Seems like normal MSRP price in Finland is ONLY 199 EUR which includes the official sony.fi site too (that's with 24% VAT included too mind you). You guys are getting screwed in the US if it's really $299 if we compare other headphone pricings. Then again Sony has always been exceptionally cheap in the european market, well except for Playstation I guess.

Picking color seems like a tricky part though, especially since the gorgeously beautiful woman seems to make me biased lol. Not a huge silver fan though (tends to look better in pics than in practice).

EDIT: At least the finnish Sony official site offers free shipping + 30 day return garantuee and full money back, that's pretty generous straight from the manufacturer. Too bad the black ones are out of stock, brown isn't.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #72 of 2,667
  Ordered the MDR-1A to replace my V-Moda M100 and just received them. The first impression is actually really similar: strong bass! Sounds punchier to me than the M100. Sadly I'm not good at describing sounds so I'll refrain from saying more, but altogether I like what I'm hearing.

I am currently looking for a closed-back alternative to my Phillips X1's. Someone suggested a V-Moda M100, which I thought sounded to dark and/or congested. Apart from the bass, is it any different in the upper end between your V-moda's and the MDR-1A?

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #73 of 2,667
  I am currently looking for a closed-back alternative to my Phillips X1's. Someone suggested a V-Moda M100, which I thought sounded to dark and/or congested. Apart from the bass, is it any different in the upper end between your V-moda's and the MDR-1A?

Sorry, I don't have the M100 anymore so I can't compare. Hopefully there will be some frequency response graphs up for the 1A soon. For now I just found them for the 1ADAC, which could be completely different from the 1A.

Edit: Just for you to take into consideration: The M100 have an issue where one of the driver fails after some weeks/month. It happened to me twice in 2 months and about 20 Amazon reviews report the same. Might just be very unlucky though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back