Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Oct 27, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #92 of 2,667
Comparing it to your HD650, which one is better?

They are different sound signatures, but as I listen to EDM most of the time the 1A is my first choice.

One thing to note is the 1A has its own cable and not replaceable like the 1R

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #94 of 2,667
One thing to note is the 1A has its own cable and not replaceable like the 1R

ETA:  You're right, it is different.  It looks like a 3.5mm jack, and it is, but it's four conductor (3 black ring) and ever so slightly bigger than the 3.5mm jack in the 1R.  I tried plugging in the 1R cable into the 1A and it's just a tiny touch smaller, so it doesn't fit in snugly.

Prior post:

What do you mean by this?  The 1A has a 3.5mm jack in the left cup, and comes with a regular cable and a mike/volume cable, 3.5mm mini to mini, just like the 1R.

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #95 of 2,667
After about 15 hours of breaking in time, I can now say that they have opened up across all frequencies.

They sound fantastic and I'm happy with my purchase.

How are you other 1A owners finding the HP's?

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #97 of 2,667
Just ordered them in black and I'm really excited to try them out!! It also didn't hurt that I was able to get them for $260. I originally got the mdr-xb950bt and even though they were very comfortable, they had a little too much bass for my tastes. Hopefully these will be what I am looking for.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #98 of 2,667
apparently 1a has a headphone side 4-pole 3.5mm adapter, which means, most of the 3.5mm on the market, which are 3 pole, does not fit. step away if you were thinking to replace their stock ofc, silver coated cable 

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #101 of 2,667
  Just try the 1A and 950bt today

950bt have more bass impact than my crossfade m-100 but IMO it's just too much for many genre. While the 1A is really superb when compare to 1r and 1rmk2.

The question is, how does the bass compare versus M100? Impact-wise. I'm sure the M100 has slightly more bass quantity (subbass) but impact/punch-wise? Are they comparable?

Also the 950BT, was that passive or active mode? And what about bass boost? How does it sound without bass boost on, how strong is the bass then? From comments on amazon etc it seems those 950BT with bass boost on probably has some of the very strongest bass in a headphone yet and even with it off it's pretty strong.

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #102 of 2,667

The question is, how does the bass compare versus M100? Impact-wise. I'm sure the M100 has slightly more bass quantity (subbass) but impact/punch-wise? Are they comparable?

Also the 950BT, was that passive or active mode? And what about bass boost? How does it sound without bass boost on, how strong is the bass then? From comments on amazon etc it seems those 950BT with bass boost on probably has some of the very strongest bass in a headphone yet and even with it off it's pretty strong.

Yeah the 1A is having slightly less bass quantity and less bass impact than m-100 but it's very good bass anyway. 

for 950bt the passive mode already have more bass quantity and more bass impact than my m-100. When I turn on the bass boost it just gone ridiculous bassy. It's like you move your ear to close to the subwoofer.

Oct 29, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #103 of 2,667
Only 1 left in stock (more on the way).

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #105 of 2,667
I finally got a chance to hear these at the San Diego Fashion Valley Sony Store with my own music from my phone and ........

They are very, very good!!

They're just a little bit bass heavy but nothing excessive (just the way I like it) and are slightly recessed in the mids. 

These would be a great choice for someone who is looking for a great sounding headphone that is also very comfortable and nice looking.

One thing I was really pleasantly surprised by was that even though the 1A's only have a 40mm driver, I was able to get some pretty clean and powerful bass response out of them at a relatively high volume level without hearing any obvious distortion.  So that means that not only are they a highly sensitive headphone, but they can also maintain their sound quality at some pretty high volume levels as well.

So, the MDR-1A gets a Big Thumbs Up from me!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back