Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Jun 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #811 of 2,667
I found that cutting very little, say -1 to -1.5db at each of those frequencies helped. Now I did that in JRiver not Neutron to be fair, but Neutron does have a parametric EQ in it. It is excellent software that gets regular free upgrades and the developer has a support forum and answers both posts and e-mails directly. Good UI as well.

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #812 of 2,667
I currently have the 1R and the vmoda M100 and am looking almost for a headphone that combines these two. I like the comfort and soundstage of 1R and better bass and clarity of m100. Just wondering if thats the case with the 1A..

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #814 of 2,667
  I currently have the 1R and the vmoda M100 and am looking almost for a headphone that combines these two. I like the comfort and soundstage of 1R and better bass and clarity of m100. Just wondering if thats the case with the 1A..

In my opinion, yes.

You'll have to compromise on build quality and isolation, and probably lose some bass control, to gain better soundstage and more natural midrange.

The 1A is high volume friendly, lightweight, and probably the most comfortable closed back you can buy right now in terms of padding and clamping pressure.

The driver is capable of bass up to "vibrating levels" with an EQ boost, it doesn't wimp out, so bass quantity is covered, just in case you desire it back.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #817 of 2,667
  Someone else asked this but I couldn't seem to find if anyone answered this but on amazon.com there is an international version that is cheaper. just wonder if anyone knows if there is a difference?

Nope! No difference at all.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #818 of 2,667

The 1A is high volume friendly, lightweight, and probably the most comfortable closed back you can buy right now in terms of padding and clamping pressure.

^^This x100

The 1A is by far the most lightweight, comfortable  non-clamping headphone I've ever owned. It's my go to headphone for home use now.

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #819 of 2,667

^^This x100

The 1A is by far the most lightweight, comfortable  non-clamping headphone I've ever owned. It's my go to headphone for home use now.

I would add the TH-600 and SRH-1540 as well, they are actually more comfortable to me because of the 'Idemitsu Grancuir' material or alcantara ear pads which breath better than the leather of the MDR-1A, just saying, YMMV.

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #820 of 2,667
  I would add the TH-600 and SRH-1540 as well, they are actually more comfortable to me because of the 'Idemitsu Grancuir' material or alcantara ear pads which breath better than the leather of the MDR-1A, just saying, YMMV.

HD700/800 due to its lightweight and extremely large cup size. That being said, the MDR-1A is no slouch either.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #822 of 2,667

Never tried either of those models, so obviously couldn't speak about them  Basically going on my experiences. For me, the closest thing to the 1A's comfort level was the Sen 598 HD.

Compared to many here though, I've only owned a few cans, so my experience isn't far and wide like some. As you said YMMV.

Jun 15, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #823 of 2,667

Never tried either of those models, so obviously couldn't speak about them  Basically going on my experiences. For me, the closest thing to the 1A's comfort level was the Sen 598 HD.

Compared to many here though, I've only owned a few cans, so my experience isn't far and wide like some. As you said YMMV.

Point is, you can't wrong with those few cans mentioned above, at least for comfort.

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #824 of 2,667
  Point is, you can't wrong with those few cans mentioned above, at least for comfort.

+1, sound wise, well.....depends on what you want
dt880smile.png

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #825 of 2,667
  +1, sound wise, well.....depends on what you want
dt880smile.png

I don't know, the MDR-1A and HD700 are both very different headphones, but except for that slight metallic sensation I get with the MDR-1A, as well as the below-average noise isolation, they're great headphones. Oh, and spare pads are bloody expensive: $35 AUD for one only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back