Sony MDR-1000X
Jun 15, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #2,116 of 2,709
I purchased the 1000x because of the NC feature and use it 100% of the time. However, your questions got my curiosity going. I find a pretty big difference in sound when I compare wired in two modes - power off and power on w/NC disabled. Powered off, I find the sound overall flat and muddy. Powered on, no NC sound is more defined and dynamic. It sounds to me there is something going on when powered on in wired mode versus powered off. I checked Sony's online product help and saw something interesting in the last 2 "Hints" on this page:

http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/1000x/v1/en/contents/TP0001176181.html

It would seem there is some Sony "magic" going on that requires power on even for wired mode. I personally like it so I don't plan on listening wired without power unless the batteries are dead. In a quiet room, I don't hear anything noticeably different with NC on or off. It's powered on versus off, I hear the "magic" LOL.

One more note - I have a hard time hearing any different between wired/powered on versus wireless/Apt-X. But wired powered on versus wired power off difference is really obvious to my ears.

Totally agree. The wired passive mode is really only a "get you home" mode when the battery has died. They're not unlistenable in wire passive mode, but the SQ is more akin to a pair of bass boosted $30 headphones rather than a $300 pair of headphones. But hey, at least you can still use them when the battery is flat, unlike some other NC headphones in the past that won't work at all without power.

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #2,117 of 2,709
The sound processors in these headphones are not just for NC. They also apply frequency response, filters and other tuning to correct deficiencies of the earpiece. Bose relies on the sound processor more heavily than most manufacturers to get good sound from the earpiece. The QC35 is only meant for powered listening (which applies corrections), and unpowered is only intended for emergency use when the battery is dead. Sony starts with a higher quality earpiece that needs less correction to sound good.
The point is, you can be listening powered/wired and switch NC on/off as needed. On the Sony, when powered off I find the treble to be rolled off and detail missing.

And these sound processors are different than what would be considered an internal amp?

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #2,118 of 2,709
And these sound processors are different than what would be considered an internal amp?
In a home stereo system it would not be considered an amp. On ANC headphones we don't know what is implemented in their proprietary chips. As a point of perspective, after you plug a cable into the Sony (powered or unpowered), the volume controls stop working.

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #2,119 of 2,709
In a home stereo system it would not be considered an amp. On ANC headphones we don't know what is implemented in their proprietary chips. As a point of perspective, after you plug a cable into the Sony (powered or unpowered), the volume controls stop working.
That does make sense.

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #2,122 of 2,709
Can get a set of these for $216usd brand new. Should I or shouldn't I?

*no, I can't get this price for any of you :k701smile:
Most definitely get it. I haven't owned the pair myself(just ordered actually-its coming soon!) but listened to it briefly. Considering all things, its definitely worth $216, but at it's normal retail of $400...hard to say.
Plus, if you don't like it, its resale value is currently more than what you paid for.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #2,123 of 2,709
I've used this on two airplane rides so far, and during take off I got some popping noise in the headset. I'm guessing the noise that's made during take off is too loud for the ANC to handle and it kind of goes crazy trying to cancel it out.

Anyone else with any experience like this?

It works excellent otherwise.

Jun 17, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #2,124 of 2,709
Day 2
Train commute
I am on the train back from work have another hour, plus a 10 min bus commute and 20 min walk still to go.

- Having the same issues today as well with NC cutting out in tunnels for a second. Getting annoying esp. when listen to podcasts. The sensation as if someone lets a small bubble of air in and then the bubble pops and NC is back on.

- When commenting in Bus or walking with NC one and no music playing you can feel the right speaker moving its an odd feeling you can hear the speaker diaphragm flex is the best i can describe it. Each bump on the bus creates an annoying noise.

- The NC seems to be much stronger on the right ear cup. Creating a stronger vacuum gap and causing an imbalance between both left and right ear.

For anyone with slightly stuck out ear (not will smith extreme) the speaker can touch the ear at times.

Not pleased nor amused at all.
Can't believe someone else has reported this because I haven't heard anyone else mention this until now. All I've heard is reports of creaking noises but this is much worse and drove me nuts! . I returned my headphones 2 times and both units had the same issue. I called Sony and they were useless. I really wanted to love these headphones but if 2 different units had the same issue I figured it was a persistent issue and I wasn't in the mood to try any more so I just returned for a refund and got another brand. Such a shame but for the price of these I expect them to work properly and not have to apply home fixes.

Jun 17, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #2,125 of 2,709
Sooo.. after 1.5 weeks with my replacement pair (first pair had a rattling sound), I now also have the creaks.. right ear cup now has a low clicking sound every time I take a step, wearing the headphones. Sounds like the plastic clicking/creaking to me.

Overall, I'm not too impressed with these headphones. I love the sound, the NC and the features, but the first pair I got were defective, my ears started to hurt after a few hours of use (probably because I have large ears) and now the creaking sounds. For an expensive pair of headphones (I paid $440 here in South Korea) this is pretty disappointing.
I returned two sets because they both had rumbling in my ears and were completely unlistenable. I agree...I loved the NC capabilities but these things have too many variable issues and I don't have the time to keep exchanging them until one works properly....especially at this price that should not be necessary.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #2,126 of 2,709
Is it normal to hear a "thump" when I shake my head while wearing the MDR 1000X? Is this the dreaded creaking sound you guys are talking about? Or do I just got a defective unit, and should I return them? Thank you very much for the help!
I had the same problem with 2 different units and got tired of returning them so i got my money back and bought another brand. I was surprised nobody else had reported this and wasnt sure either if this was the creaking noise everyone was taking about. I think its a seperate issue and much worse and there was no my way I was going to live with it.

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,127 of 2,709
Well, this also happens when I am walking up steps. Is it normal that the music distorts when I am doing that?

Well, this also happens when I am walking up steps. Is it normal that the music distorts when I am doing that?
No it's not normal don't listen to this response you're getting from this other guy because he sounds belligerent. I had the same issue with two different units that I returned and it wasn't just from shaking your head. It was basically when walking up or down stairs, yawning, chewing food and any kind of slight movement of the head. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the driver or something to do with the seal not being tight enough but it was so annoying and completely unusable. I guess some people feel that if it doesn't happen to their headphones that it doesn't happen to anybody elses. All I know is I had two different units that did the same thing so I don't think it was a coincidence. There are definitely affected units out there.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #2,128 of 2,709
Got mine !

Although must be said that sound quality is good, it does not blow me out of the water though, mostly because I Think my source is bad, iPhone with 192kpbs files. Then again, when on the go, noise cancelling is more important than absolute sound quality with many external noise affecting the music.

The best thing though is that i find it very comfortable, can wear it for a long time.

7JXPmMw.jpg

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #2,129 of 2,709
Has anyone figured out any comfortable replacement ear pads?

This headphone is amazing up to the time where it creates a numbing pain on the tip of my ear.. Theres no way I can wear this for 30 mins straight without having to take it off due to pain.

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #2,130 of 2,709
Has anyone figured out any comfortable replacement ear pads?

This headphone is amazing up to the time where it creates a numbing pain on the tip of my ear.. Theres no way I can wear this for 30 mins straight without having to take it off due to pain.

If you're willing to do a bit of modding, I found the Dekoni Bose replacement pads work great. I also highly recommend to remove the foam between ear and driver and stuff it with cotton to greatly improve bass reponse. See my thread here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back