Sony MDR-1000X
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #2,147 of 2,709
Hey guys, I've got a slightly weird thing with these headphones (which I love, by the way). They have developed a (kind of) fault where the left earpiece has a fluttering/pulsating which is fairly random when nothing is playing and the room is silent/very quiet. It is really subtle, but definitely there. If I cover the left microphone, it doesn't seem to be there any more, though I'm not certain about this. Does anyone else have this, or is it an actual fault? It's really low level, so you have to listen carefully.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #2,148 of 2,709
The voice is definitely easier than looking for the lights to see if I connected or not.

Not for me. There is a reason why I hate noise and it is the same one for unnecessary voice/audio feedback: it drives me crazy. Do I really need to hear a voice whenever I turn the headphones on and off ? Whenever the headphones are connected to my smartphone/tablet/computer and disconnected ? Whenever I change a function ? Do I really need to hear the too-loud (with a constant alert volume too) beep whenever I change the volume from the headphones ? I feel as if I have enabled VoiceOver accessibility setting on my Mac and I don't have the option to disable it or change the parameters.

Yes, the noise cancellation of MDR-1000X is good. The fit is not bad either, even though it helps if you have small ears. The sound is ok, both unwired and wired. A bit like my MDR-1ABT, probably a bit worse. I really wanted to like MDR-1000X as I am traveling often enough to justify a NC type of headphones. And I have always liked Sony; I have too many multimedia devices from the company (including the current top-of-the-line headphones set). But this product is not for me. I am returning it tomorrow.

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #2,149 of 2,709
Not for me. There is a reason why I hate noise and it is the same one for unnecessary voice/audio feedback: it drives me crazy. Do I really need to hear a voice whenever I turn the headphones on and off ? Whenever the headphones are connected to my smartphone/tablet/computer and disconnected ? Whenever I change a function ? Do I really need to hear the too-loud (with a constant alert volume too) beep whenever I change the volume from the headphones ? I feel as if I have enabled VoiceOver accessibility setting on my Mac and I don't have the option to disable it or change the parameters.

Yes, the noise cancellation of MDR-1000X is good. The fit is not bad either, even though it helps if you have small ears. The sound is ok, both unwired and wired. A bit like my MDR-1ABT, probably a bit worse. I really wanted to like MDR-1000X as I am traveling often enough to justify a NC type of headphones. And I have always liked Sony; I have too many multimedia devices from the company (including the current top-of-the-line headphones set). But this product is not for me. I am returning it tomorrow.
Going with a Bose?

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,151 of 2,709
Haven't decided yet. But this time I will check more carefully (not just the sound or the noise cancellation).

Much more comfortable and no voice prompts. Just a toggle switch with positive physical feedback.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #2,152 of 2,709
Far from offtopic. Very good impressions and comparison actually, quite useful to anyone comparing both.

I have to say that I share your opinion on some points, one being that the 1000X sound quite good (for what they are) at higher levels of volume, but can feel a bit thin and veiled at low levels. I also agree that Sony got it wrong when it comes to versatility when pairing with multiple devices. In my use cases, the annoyance I recall more was switching while doing a desktop<>phone transition. It should be simpler, much simpler.

Despite that, overall I think they are still a better offer due to the superior audio quality as a whole, but perhaps not for everyone given the drawbacks.

How do they compare to your CD-3000s?

Thanks

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #2,153 of 2,709
How do the MDR-1000X compare to the Westone 4R IEMs in terms of isolation/noise cancellation, sound, and comfort?

Thanks

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #2,154 of 2,709
Hi everyone, I just purchased a MDR-1000x.

Apparently the set I bought has this weird mint cig smell? Tried using vinegar on cotton and stored into storage bag. Slightly better but still pretty strong.

Is it normal?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #2,156 of 2,709
Hello everyone,
I've been reading page after page but I get some conflicting information about something. Do the Sony mdr-1000x produce some audible hiss or static while the ANC is on and no music is playing? I tried them on in a closet, the environment was as quiet as it could be. I could hear a hissing sound when using noise cancelling, like a faint yet ever present static sound. In the same place, the Bose QC35 made no such sound. They remained silent, at least to my ears. Were the Sony's headphones I used defective, since a lot of people say that they are supposed to be very quiet? Almost no reviewers mentioned this issue (a couple did, some said it was very minor, but most didn't even mention it at all). I really want to like the Sony mdr-1000x, but that's a deal breaker for me. How can anyone say that their noise cancelling is on par with Bose when they produce that static or hiss when you use them in a quiet environment? It there's a pause between songs, instead of getting silence, I get to listen to the hissing sound?
Thanks

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #2,157 of 2,709
Yes, they do make a slight hiss sound when ANC is activated. However when using them in an environment where ANC is desirable then you probably won't hear the hiss anyway.

If you're going to use the MDR-1000X in a dead silent environment then just turn the ANC off, as you won't need it anyway.

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,158 of 2,709
Yes, they do make a slight hiss sound when ANC is activated. However when using them in an environment where ANC is desirable then you probably won't hear the hiss anyway.

If you're going to use the MDR-1000X in a dead silent environment then just turn the ANC off, as you won't need it anyway.

At work or at home, I mostly have my desktop computer making a sound. I guess it's still quiet enough that I should hear the hiss, but turning the ANC off makes my computer sound much louder. In the end it does mean that Bose QC35 has a quieter ANC. The MDR-1000X cancel out sounds as well (or slightly better as some claim) but make a slight hiss.
Thank you for the reply!

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #2,160 of 2,709
How do the MDR-1000X compare to the Westone 4R IEMs in terms of isolation/noise cancellation, sound, and comfort?

As with most IEMs, it will depend on the tips you are using. The 4R are BAs and have pretty much no venting, so isolation can be really good with some foam tips. On par with the 1000X or better.
Comfort depends on use case. Sometimes the IEMs can be annoying in the ear/fit, but at the same time you don't have a headband or pads making your ears hot.

There are more factors to it. I like taking some IEMs on trips (train, airplane, etc) but at the same time I also like the 1000X because the lack of wire can be handy, plus the touch-tricks are quite nice and sometimes it is great to have good noise cancelling but still be able to hear everything with a simple touch, without removing anything.

In terms of sound quality I wont' comment, as I don't know the 4R well. The 1000X are pretty decent, but no match in SQ for something like the SE846, Andromeda, or other IEMs that can be tweaked to have good isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back