Sony MDR-1000X
Jun 27, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #2,131 of 2,709
My wallet was itching so I rushed and bought a pair without checking out every parameter. Big mistake, unless I am doing something wrong. Worst purchase in my life and I have bought too many things, many of them blindly too. I don't even care if it cancels noise efficiently or if the sound is ok for the price and for active NC headphones. The thing talks back for everything. You turn it on, it speaks, you turn it off, it speaks, you connect to Bluetooth it speaks, you press a button it speaks. It's called voice guidance and it is annoying as hell. It's also in Chinese (because I bought it in China) but that's not the issue, I just don't want voice feedback at all. Even the volume feedback is too loud and unnecessary. After lurking for years I was hoping my first post here would be something more positive but I am rather frustrated right now. I hope I will be able to return it (I'll run through the manual again first in case I am missing something).

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #2,132 of 2,709
My wallet was itching so I rushed and bought a pair without checking out every parameter. Big mistake, unless I am doing something wrong. Worst purchase in my life and I have bought too many things, many of them blindly too. I don't even care if it cancels noise efficiently or if the sound is ok for the price and for active NC headphones. The thing talks back for everything. You turn it on, it speaks, you turn it off, it speaks, you connect to Bluetooth it speaks, you press a button it speaks. It's called voice guidance and it is annoying as hell. It's also in Chinese (because I bought it in China) but that's not the issue, I just don't want voice feedback at all. Even the volume feedback is too loud and unnecessary. After lurking for years I was hoping my first post here would be something more positive but I am rather frustrated right now. I hope I will be able to return it (I'll run through the manual again first in case I am missing something).
idk about Chinese but it is quite pleasant for me in English. the volume of voice is not that loud too (in my case). I find it useful when I need to know something, a press is all it takes and it only take a second to hear. I'm sorry for your experience though

Jun 27, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #2,133 of 2,709
Hi all,

Thought I'd post my experiences with replacing the earpads on my MDR-100X.

I ordered the following Audio Technica MSR7 replacement pads:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Replacement-...Technica-ATH-MSR7-MSR7-Headphone/263016308291

Here's everything disassembled. I used a guitar pick to snap the pads out of the cups.

MZ0j9X.jpg

Quite a substantial depth increase with the new pads (left) vs. the old ones (right).

qcKd5P.jpg

And the final reassembled result :)
Kjdf5W.jpg

Comfort increased immensely and I can wear them for much longer now! Before the edges of my ears would start to hurt after a while.. Also, my ears don't get as hot as before. Sound stage seems increased and I don't notice any difference in noise canceling efficiency (though I don't have objective evidence for either observation).

Cheers!

Jun 27, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #2,134 of 2,709
Hi all. After spending countless hours reading reviews of the MDR-1000X, QC35, H9 and others I'm convinced the 1000X is the best choice for me when it comes to getting decent ANC and SQ while still being fairly comfortable.

The only thing that's holding me back from actually purchasing one is the "broken bracket" issue that I keep running into on various forums and reviews at online shops. And, perhaps more importantly, Sony Europe's poor attitude when it comes to dealing with the issue.

I've seen reports of the issue as recent as early June, but it's unclear to me when these people bought their headset, when it was produced or when they last spoke to a Sony rep.

Does anyone know if Sony has addressed the issue in more recent production batches? I'm guessing Sony wouldn't publicly announce such a thing to avoid early customers from demanding replacements, but maybe one of you has had a chance to compare an early sample one to a more recent one?

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #2,135 of 2,709
idk about Chinese but it is quite pleasant for me in English. the volume of voice is not that loud too (in my case). I find it useful when I need to know something, a press is all it takes and it only take a second to hear. I'm sorry for your experience though

The voice is definitely easier than looking for the lights to see if I connected or not.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #2,136 of 2,709
Most definitely get it. I haven't owned the pair myself(just ordered actually-its coming soon!) but listened to it briefly. Considering all things, its definitely worth $216, but at it's normal retail of $400...hard to say.
Plus, if you don't like it, its resale value is currently more than what you paid for.

Its on Amazon for $350 and I've seen it as low at $330 on there. Some of the refurbished going for $260.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,138 of 2,709
Hi all. After spending countless hours reading reviews of the MDR-1000X, QC35, H9 and others I'm convinced the 1000X is the best choice for me when it comes to getting decent ANC and SQ while still being fairly comfortable.

The only thing that's holding me back from actually purchasing one is the "broken bracket" issue that I keep running into on various forums and reviews at online shops. And, perhaps more importantly, Sony Europe's poor attitude when it comes to dealing with the issue.

I've seen reports of the issue as recent as early June, but it's unclear to me when these people bought their headset, when it was produced or when they last spoke to a Sony rep.

Does anyone know if Sony has addressed the issue in more recent production batches? I'm guessing Sony wouldn't publicly announce such a thing to avoid early customers from demanding replacements, but maybe one of you has had a chance to compare an early sample one to a more recent one?
The biggest difference in comfort between the QC35 and the MDR-1000X, having owned both?

Weight and the fact that the 1000X touches my ears. If you don't like that, and you prioritize comfort, get a QC35.

Me, I proritized ANC and SQ, which the 1000X beats the QC35 on.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #2,139 of 2,709
Hi all,

Thought I'd post my experiences with replacing the earpads on my MDR-100X.

I ordered the following Audio Technica MSR7 replacement pads:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Replacement-...Technica-ATH-MSR7-MSR7-Headphone/263016308291

Here's everything disassembled. I used a guitar pick to snap the pads out of the cups.

MZ0j9X.jpg

Quite a substantial depth increase with the new pads (left) vs. the old ones (right).

qcKd5P.jpg

And the final reassembled result :)
Kjdf5W.jpg

Comfort increased immensely and I can wear them for much longer now! Before the edges of my ears would start to hurt after a while.. Also, my ears don't get as hot as before. Sound stage seems increased and I don't notice any difference in noise canceling efficiency (though I don't have objective evidence for either observation).

Cheers!
Any MSR7 pads should work right?

I can try some velour ones, lol.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Velour-Ear-p...hash=item281e99952f:m:msCJ52qV-WyaE2Uruxt9G9w

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #2,140 of 2,709
Just got my pair and I have to say I really like them!
They sound somewhat like the 1A, but just better. Better Treble and better bass.
Also I think they sound pretty good in wired mode even tho its noticeable worse. They sound more bassy and the treble just went missing lol
I will only use them wireless so thats not a problem at all. Also they pair really nice with my Sony XZ with LDAC and my Walkman!

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #2,141 of 2,709
Just got my pair and I have to say I really like them!
They sound somewhat like the 1A, but just better. Better Treble and better bass.
Also I think they sound pretty good in wired mode even tho its noticeable worse. They sound more bassy and the treble just went missing lol
I will only use them wireless so thats not a problem at all. Also they pair really nice with my Sony XZ with LDAC and my Walkman!

In wired mode, make sure power is still on with ANC enabled and it will sound as good or better than wireless. What you describe sounds like wired without power on.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #2,142 of 2,709
In wired mode, make sure power is still on with ANC enabled and it will sound as good or better than wireless. What you describe sounds like wired without power on.
Jeah I know that, I spoke about the complete passiv mode when for example the battery dies or something like that. Also I have to say that LDAC sounds like 100x better. I first was a bit worried about it just being bs, but it makes them sound alot better.
I can not reliable tell the differences between MP3 320 or FLAC lossless, but LDAC vs SBC or aptx is just like day and night

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2,143 of 2,709
... LDAC vs SBC or aptx is just like day and night

No doubt SBC is for phone calls only. For iOS devices the built in AAC codec is pretty damn good too.

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #2,145 of 2,709
SBC is not for phone calls only, I can force on my phone to just use SBC. I think SBC (Musicquality) is just about MP3 320 or something

Sorry, didn't mean literally, but about audio quality. SBC is a different compression scheme and can stream up to 328 kbps similar to 320 MP3, but is not considered a good compression scheme for music streaming. The other problem is that 328 is best case scenario and depending on how sensitive you BT connection is, can drop to lower bit rates where the extreme frequencies get dropped. Lastly, if you have any AAC or MP3 tracks, those get re-compressed to SBC and makes the end result sound even worse. Best results are:

iOS -> AAC, Android -> Apt-X, Sony device - LDAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back