Sony MDR-1000X
Jun 6, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #2,086 of 2,709
Thanks very much for your reply. They fit around my ears fine but I suppose they do press against the inside foam a bit. But that probably would be the case for most people as these are shallow cups, which is why I'm surprised I haven't heard the same issue from others. At the same time, these are my second set so it would be hard to believe i picked out 2 defective units. This is really bothering me trying to figure out what is happening here...
You might try the foam strip mod, described here and in following posts: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/sony-mdr-1000x.818871/page-138#post-13497338

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #2,087 of 2,709
You might try the foam strip mod, described here and in following posts: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/sony-mdr-1000x.818871/page-138#post-13497338
Thanks for the suggestion. I contacted Sony and they said this is a known issue due to "breakage". I'm assuming they mean breakage of the cup seal. Now it's even more mind boggling to me that I haven't heard anyone else experience this if it's a known issue to Sony? Anyways, I hope this post reaches others who may experience this in the future so they have an easier time than I did trying to figure this out. I'm supposed to call another Sony team today to get the official scoop on next steps but I'm definitely not keeping these in their current state.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #2,088 of 2,709
Thanks very much for your reply. They fit around my ears fine but I suppose they do press against the inside foam a bit. But that probably would be the case for most people as these are shallow cups, which is why I'm surprised I haven't heard the same issue from others. At the same time, these are my second set so it would be hard to believe i picked out 2 defective units. This is really bothering me trying to figure out what is happening here...
you can try using weather strip under the cups to increase the depth. that should make it more comfortable. its cheap, so worth a shot :D

Jun 8, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #2,089 of 2,709
hello guys ..
I have noticed the sound at the max volume is not clear and when it comes to the high pitches it become noisy and buzzing, shall I return back the product and replace it or they're all the same and can't handle the high pitches at max volume ? did you have such problem with it ?

Kindly asking to test it with this track, because the sound that I'm talking about is so obvious in this ..

http://dl.saba-music.com/dl/music/sajad/Homayoun Shajarian - Abr Mibarad.mp3

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #2,090 of 2,709
If someone in the USA is looking for a pair of these, I have a new pair, I basically wore them for about a half hour and got motion sickness from the ANC, so I need to sell them. They were bought from an authorized retailer. Shoot me a PM.

Jun 10, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #2,092 of 2,709
looks like a perfect fit. how's the depth?

they're a good amount deeper than the stock pads, but they're soft, so they crush down.

I'm always wary of this because pads like the HM5s are kind of stiff, and will add a lot of depth, which means pad bounce, which means the sound will be screwed up. I'm not having that problem here thankfully.

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,093 of 2,709
Just to be clear: Do NOT use the 1000x powered on, wired, with anything but a smartphone. They are not meant to be used powered on with a powerful dac/amp due to thier pre-set preamp. Only use them powered OFF with amps.

They do however sound very good with a good amp/dac. Preferably a warm sounding one, as the 1000x are really neutral.

The dragonfly 1.2 is not that powerful (it's more of a DAC than an AMP). I'd suggest you sell it and get the new Dragonfly RED. It has a much improved dac, much more powerful amp, and most importantly, it's made to be compatible with smarphones (both IOS and Android), due to the low power consumption. Pair that with a usb female - usb type c/microusb/lightning adapter, and their flash ubs-like size make them the ultimate portable audiophile setup.

Can you use the NC with an amp?

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,094 of 2,709
Just tried the MDR-1000X after purchasing it and selling my QC35.

Bose has a tad more bass, and it's more impactful.

MDR is better balanced and has a fuller sound.

SQ goes to MDR.
ANC goes to MDR as well.
Comfort.........heavily goes to Bose. These MDR's make their presence known in a bad way on my ears.

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #2,096 of 2,709
Yes (obviously it would have to be powered on — and I disagree with BenKatz about powered on only with smartphones).
Sorry, should've clairifed. NC, no power, Amp, possible?

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #2,097 of 2,709
If someone in the USA is looking for a pair of these, I have a new pair, I basically wore them for about a half hour and got motion sickness from the ANC, so I need to sell them. They were bought from an authorized retailer. Shoot me a PM.
Have you tried just returning them for defective ANC?

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #2,098 of 2,709
hello guys ..
I have noticed the sound at the max volume is not clear and when it comes to the high pitches it become noisy and buzzing, shall I return back the product and replace it or they're all the same and can't handle the high pitches at max volume ? did you have such problem with it ?

Kindly asking to test it with this track, because the sound that I'm talking about is so obvious in this ..

http://dl.saba-music.com/dl/music/sajad/Homayoun Shajarian - Abr Mibarad.mp3
How does it sound with speakers at max volume? Are you sure it's not the file?

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #2,100 of 2,709
I'm confused by your question. The headphone must be turned on to use active noise cancellation. Yes you can use an amp in that case.
I guess that's one thing I didn't understand. Is it possible to use the NC without activating the pre-amp in the headphones.

I'm thinking no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back