Sony MDR-1000X
Dec 7, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #1,036 of 2,709
How is the touch control. Is it much responsive?

It's just about right to me. Might get triggered accidentally if you lean the cup against something tho (which happens sometimes while dozing in airplanes, trains, etc).

Mute+Pause+Vol Up/Down work flawless for me, I'd say close to 100% success rate. I don't really use RW/FW but it's probably equaly easy once you get the hang of it. There is a learning curve tho.

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #1,037 of 2,709
It's just about right to me. Might get triggered accidentally if you lean the cup against something tho (which happens sometimes while dozing in airplanes, trains, etc).

Mute+Pause+Vol Up/Down work flawless for me, I'd say close to 100% success rate. I don't really use RW/FW but it's probably equaly easy once you get the hang of it. There is a learning curve tho.
cool btw can it block high pitched voices,firecrackers and engines?

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,038 of 2,709

I had both MDR-1000x and QC35 for a week and here is what I think:
- Sony has better midrange and sounds cleaner overall but there are two drawbacks: 1. the bass is well controlled but there is just too little of it; I am not a basshead but bass is just too anaemic on Sony, 2. the soundstage is much narrower. The drawback for Bose is that voices are less clear and sound somewhat distant, but soundstage is much better. I also have B&W P7 wireless and neither of the ANC headphones compares to B&W sound-wise, unfortunately
- Bose is much more comfortable to wear; Sony is not bad at all, just worse in comparison 
- hissing sound with ANC is more pronounced on Sony, even after running the optimiser you can clearly hear white noise when not playing music, on Bose it is almost inaudible
- ANC pressure effect is slightly more pronounced on Bose
- ANC is equally effective, perhaps with a slight edge to Sony
- switching between multiple devices is a major negative with Sony, you just cannot do it. You need to either turn Bluetooth off on one of the devices, or put the headphones in pairing mode (by turning off and then off holding the button) and then reconnect (you do not need to delete pairing from your device though). 
- it needs to be mentioned that while ANC can be turned off for Sony, in my perception there was worsening in sound quality with even less bass and narrower soundstage
- the quick attention mode is potentially useful but I still prefer to take the headphones off when talking to someone as people do not realise you can hear them with headphones on! I saw little point in ambient sound modes
- Sony manual states that for charging you need to connect to a computer; I was able to charge using a regular iPad charger with no problem, though 

Overall I ended up selling Sony due to the narrow soundstage and anaemic bass, poor Bluetooth implementation with inability to pair to multiple devices, and less comfort than Bose.  
Still thinking if expense of keeping Bose for travelling in addition to P7 is justified; I think I will keep them as once you try noise cancelling on the plane there is no going back, but if you do not absolutely need ANC there are much better options than either Sony or Bose, P7 being one of them (as someone else suggested on this or QC35 thread). I wish B&W came up with ANC version !

Good luck with your decision !

Just curious why you didn't give the Sennheiser PXC550 a try....?

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #1,039 of 2,709
Interesting Fact! 
Showing my son my original Sony Walkman cassette player from 1979, and I see and remember it has the following feature:
An orange "hotline" button that when pressed lets the sound of the outside world into your headphones via the built-in mic on the player.
They had a "Quick Attention Mode"

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #1,040 of 2,709
  Interesting Fact! 
Showing my son my original Sony Walkman cassette player from 1979, and I see and remember it has the following feature:
An orange "hotline" button that when pressed lets the sound of the outside world into your headphones via the built-in mic on the player.

That was also my first PAAP (portable analog audio player), with independent level controls. Ran on two AA batteries with about 8-10 hours of playback and included auto reverse to play the other side. I put many, many miles on mine, it never failed to turn heads.
Audio cassette.....a reasonable form factor but I'm sure glad it died a permanent death.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #1,042 of 2,709
I tried out the Bose qc35 today at BestBuy. Comfort wise, I loved them, sound quality was good, but the NC created some really bad "cabin pressure" effect to the point that I had to take them off. I have not noticed that issue with the Sony. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,043 of 2,709
  Interesting Fact! 

Indeed, a true blast from the past now that most kids don't even know what a Walkman was. The older ones remember Discmans tho, but not many. :)

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #1,044 of 2,709
Sorry if it's already been mentioned, tried to search this thread after reading the first 8 pages or so without much luck, but does anyone know how these compare to the Definitive Technology Symphony 1?

That's what I have after having tried the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless and Samsung Level Over.

That's before the QC35 were released, although they're not AptX anyway I think, and I didn't rate the QC25 so wasn't considering those.

Lots of development in the ANC over ear headphone market recently.

Lots of mention of these compared to the Momentum wireless, but no mention of the symphony 1s it seems.
And lots of mention of the sennheiser's sound quality. But that's what the defintive technology's have been very well rated for.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #1,045 of 2,709
It's not even close, right? Soundstage better on Bose? Better bass? Bass is muddy, mids are scooped out, vocals metallic. Lighter and slightly more comfortable? OK, there you go.
I still have both the QC35's and the MDR-1000x. 

Aside from the fact that QC35's are a bit lighter and the simultaneous connection with two devices - and autoconnect with previously paired iPhone. The Sonys sound way better to me.

The NC is better on the QC35's but the sound on the Bose is not to my liking, it sounds tinny and without enough punch. 

The Sonys sounded almost as good as my M50s which I just sold so pretty stoked with the MDR-1000x's. 

The touch controls are a bit hit or miss for play/pause. The bluetooth connection in terms of distance and maintenance of connection is far superior with the Sonys. 

All in all, Sony MDR-1000x has been a satisfying purchase. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #1,046 of 2,709
It's not even close, right? Soundstage better on Bose? Better bass? Bass is muddy, mids are scooped out, vocals metallic. Lighter and slightly more comfortable? OK, there you go.

I completely agree here i guess we all have different ears !?! but the one word i can use to describe Bose is VEILED !  how can the soundstage be bigger then the Sonys ? Well to each his own. But definately for me soundstage is wider than the bose. 

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,047 of 2,709
I thought it was well established that the QC range sound rubbish but have good comfort/ANC - and so are good for travel.
I'm surprised to read that the QC35 actually sound good. But I imagine it's just cheap EQ, and that's why others say it sounds rubbish/veiled/distorted etc.

So yeah, if the QC35 sound crap that's no surprise. Bose is totally over rated.

Has anyone compared the 1000X to the Definitive Technology Symphony 1s though?

Or even how they compare to the two Sennheiser options?

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #1,048 of 2,709
I thought it was well established that the QC range sound rubbish but have good comfort/ANC - and so are good for travel.
I'm surprised to read that the QC35 actually sound good. But I imagine it's just cheap EQ, and that's why others say it sounds rubbish/veiled/distorted etc.

So yeah, if the QC35 sound crap that's no surprise. Bose is totally over rated.

Has anyone compared the 1000X to the Definitive Technology Symphony 1s though?

Or even how they compare to the two Sennheiser options?
have you heard one?
At least 3 well respected professional reviews (whathifi, hifi choice, innerfidelity) were very favorable to the QC35. I own these myself and they are very good. The 1000x, however, has the edge in sq.

Dec 8, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #1,050 of 2,709
The B&O H9 released today on Amazon. My pair arrives tomorrow and I will compare it to the B&W P7 wireless which I purchased two weeks ago.

For what it is worth I demoed the QC35 and 1000X before settling on the P7 wireless. I thought the Bose sounded better than the Sony's (don't understand all the love shown here). The ear pressure from the Bose ANC bothered me more than Sony's version.

I felt that the sound from the B&W P7 wireless trounced both Bose and Sony and decided to go with them and forgo ANC.

I am curious to see what B&O can do with the new H9 and ANC which can be deactivated if desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back