Sony MDR-1000X
Dec 6, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #1,022 of 2,709
Guys i think we have reached a point where its safe to say that its pretty established looking at all reviews thus far that this is the KING - G.O.A.T !!!. Stop with all the squabbling, hesitation, wavering, complainin, whining and splitting fine hairs. Get it and be done with it i say :) Life is to short  to go on about it.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #1,023 of 2,709
King if you don't like bass, sure.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #1,024 of 2,709
King if you don't like bass, sure.

Actually funny you say this cause im a basshead and i get plenty of it when i amp it with my Vorzamp duo basshead amp :) . I get the great soundstage and a really hard hitting low end. And a true basshead who loves the low end will know you need a good amp and wired to get the best out of any headphone. I previously had the sony xb950s which was a great basshead bluetooth pair but the overall clarity at the higher end and the mids were not good at all. With the 1000x i get the best of both worlds plus the best NC .  But if all you like is just bass and nothing else sure you have many other options out there. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #1,025 of 2,709
Actually funny you say this cause im a basshead and i get plenty of it when i amp it with my Vorzamp duo basshead amp :) . I get the great soundstage and a really hard hitting low end. And a true basshead who loves the low end will know you need a good amp and wired to get the best out of any headphone. I previously had the sony xb950s which was a great basshead bluetooth pair but the overall clarity at the higher end and the mids were not good at all. With the 1000x i get the best of both worlds plus the best NC .  But if all you like is just bass and nothing else sure you have many other options out there. 

Bass with ANC is definitely the territory of the QC35 wired plus my amp.

Ever try them side by side?

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #1,027 of 2,709
In my experience, The MDR-1000 paired with the NW-A25 Walkman sounds more detailed as a whole. They are noticeable especially when you are doing analytical listening, but not so much when you are on the go. I had my mine for about two weeks, but end up returning the player as I'm contented with the MDR-1000 paired with my iPhone 7 plus playing AIFFS format. But I would say, give it a try.

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #1,028 of 2,709
Guys I could really do with your help! I'm in the fortunate position to be chosing between these and the QC35s.

Does anyone know if the MDR 1000Xs automatically turn off if they are conected to a device via bluetooth but no music is playing through them? 

Also, does it seem common or not that people experience a slight hissing sound with either the MDR 1000s or QC35s whilt ANC is on but no music is playing? 

Thanks for any help, it would massivly help me decide!

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #1,029 of 2,709
Has anyone tried both these and the B&O H7's? I realize they don't directly compare since the H7's don't have ANC, but how do they compare in terms of sound, passive isolation (I suppose this is where a direct comparison isn't particularly sensible), sound leakage, and build quality? The 1000X's seem to suffer a bit when connected via wire with no power; is the same true for the H7's? It looks as though the 1000X's pack more nicely, with one cup rotating to the center; is that true in practice?

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #1,030 of 2,709

I had both MDR-1000x and QC35 for a week and here is what I think:
- Sony has better midrange and sounds cleaner overall but there are two drawbacks: 1. the bass is well controlled but there is just too little of it; I am not a basshead but bass is just too anaemic on Sony, 2. the soundstage is much narrower. The drawback for Bose is that voices are less clear and sound somewhat distant, but soundstage is much better. I also have B&W P7 wireless and neither of the ANC headphones compares to B&W sound-wise, unfortunately
- Bose is much more comfortable to wear; Sony is not bad at all, just worse in comparison 
- hissing sound with ANC is more pronounced on Sony, even after running the optimiser you can clearly hear white noise when not playing music, on Bose it is almost inaudible
- ANC pressure effect is slightly more pronounced on Bose
- ANC is equally effective, perhaps with a slight edge to Sony
- switching between multiple devices is a major negative with Sony, you just cannot do it. You need to either turn Bluetooth off on one of the devices, or put the headphones in pairing mode (by turning off and then off holding the button) and then reconnect (you do not need to delete pairing from your device though). 
- it needs to be mentioned that while ANC can be turned off for Sony, in my perception there was worsening in sound quality with even less bass and narrower soundstage
- the quick attention mode is potentially useful but I still prefer to take the headphones off when talking to someone as people do not realise you can hear them with headphones on! I saw little point in ambient sound modes
- Sony manual states that for charging you need to connect to a computer; I was able to charge using a regular iPad charger with no problem, though 

Overall I ended up selling Sony due to the narrow soundstage and anaemic bass, poor Bluetooth implementation with inability to pair to multiple devices, and less comfort than Bose.  
Still thinking if expense of keeping Bose for travelling in addition to P7 is justified; I think I will keep them as once you try noise cancelling on the plane there is no going back, but if you do not absolutely need ANC there are much better options than either Sony or Bose, P7 being one of them (as someone else suggested on this or QC35 thread). I wish B&W came up with ANC version !

Good luck with your decision !

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #1,031 of 2,709
I still have both the QC35's and the MDR-1000x. 

Aside from the fact that QC35's are a bit lighter and the simultaneous connection with two devices - and autoconnect with previously paired iPhone. The Sonys sound way better to me.

The NC is better on the QC35's but the sound on the Bose is not to my liking, it sounds tinny and without enough punch. 

The Sonys sounded almost as good as my M50s which I just sold so pretty stoked with the MDR-1000x's. 

The touch controls are a bit hit or miss for play/pause. The bluetooth connection in terms of distance and maintenance of connection is far superior with the Sonys. 

All in all, Sony MDR-1000x has been a satisfying purchase. 

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #1,032 of 2,709
I really don't get where this "too little bass" is coming from with regard to the 1000x. Have you guys all done the noise cancelation optimization process? This REALLY improves the bass response in both quantity and definition.

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #1,034 of 2,709
Hi, everyone. I've demo the Sony MDR-1000x and Bose QuietComfort 35 wireless. My Fiio x7 detected AptX when connected to 1000x.

What I can say is, even though QC35 don't have AptX, the soundstage is slightly wider and somewhat better separation between instrument compare to 1000x.

QC35 has excellent seal and NC the moment I put it on I'm in my own world, but Sony falls slightly behind, I don't feel as immersed. Theses are trade offs. End of the day I want music quality over NC.

Mainly two genres I've tested for, QC35 played well in Latin and Tropical House (my main favorites).

MDR 1000x played well too, to me, it's more balanced safely to say.

It didn't take long for me to make up my mind; 1000x is excellent and it has AptX which definitely made a difference in quality.

Will be getting it soon, it'll be my first wireless headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back