Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 28, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #586 of 2,709
Charging it with a 2.1A Samsung charger from an Android. Works fine.

I don't notice any plastic creaking beyond normal/minor, and no loose parts. But they do feel a bit fragile. Then again, I haven't had any non-fullsize cans in a long time so I'm used to more solid builds.

I'll check them out better tomorrow. Too early to comment on the plastic noise issue (or lack of it)
The touch pad controls do work pretty well once you get used to it, much more precise than I expected.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #588 of 2,709
The sound will get more clearer and refined in the coming days. Also the pads will get softer, like a bathtub fulled with leather :D

Oct 29, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #589 of 2,709
Just found the price of these in Australia.  AU$699.  That's  US$531.  They are priced at US$400 in America.

HOLY F#CK!!!!!!

What a ripoff.

I was going to buy these in Singapore, still came to US$399 which is fine.....but WOW.  What a ripoff in my home country.

BTW - I did a NC experiment comparing my Bose QC20s with the demo platform in the Sony store.  Nothing in it.

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #590 of 2,709
That's RRP - no need to pay RRP in Australia, most shops are willing to discount between 10% & 15%, sometimes 20% if you are lucky.
I got my Bose QC35's and my B & W P7's for 20% discount - just have to do a little sweet talking/negotiation...
Only managed a measly 5% on my Bose QC30's though :frowning2:

BTW, $400 in USA would be without sales tax and when you look what our dollar is worth these days....

Oct 29, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #591 of 2,709
I read in a Swedish review that when using the Sonys, foot steps are transmitted to the headphones like bass pulses. BTW, the paper compared Sony MDR-1000X with Bose WC35 and Sennheiser PXC 550. Qc35 became best in test. Can anyone confirm the bass pulses?

Oct 29, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #592 of 2,709
I read in a Swedish review that when using the Sonys, foot steps are transmitted to the headphones like bass pulses. BTW, the paper compared Sony MDR-1000X with Bose WC35 and Sennheiser PXC 550. Qc35 became best in test. Can anyone confirm the bass pulses?

Nope no such bass pulse whatsoever .. Was walking with it around town today in Copenhagen

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #593 of 2,709
Just got back from the store, where I had a quick comparison of the 1000x, QC35 and PXC 550.
In terms of noise cancellation and sound quality, the 1000x was definitely ahead for me.

However, I am a little bit worried about the comfort factor. The cups in the 1000x are much shallower than the QC35, and the upper/outer parts of my ears press lightly against the cloth covered inside. For 5 minutes, it was no issue as all. However, I am worried that it will be uncomfortable over a longer time. These are my first real headphones, so I don't have much experience.

Can anyone shed light on how they are supposed to fit?

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #594 of 2,709
I just received my pair. They are my first expensive Headphones and i want to get the best sound out of my configuration.

I am using a IPhone 6s+ with Spotify Premium. The Sony MDR 1000x and the iphone will bei paired via Bluetooth. Is there a way too get sure they are using the AAC and not SBC codec?

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #595 of 2,709

No base pulse here.  I think the review may be off on this one.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #596 of 2,709
Hello, this is my first post from Davao City, Philippines! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Purchased the black MDR-1000X two days ago as my first noise-cancelling headphones.  The NC and Ambient Sound features are excellent!  Sound quality is great too.  It has less bass compared with the Sony MDR-1ABT but I like these better.  I don't have that much experience with HPs for some comparison but I'm very happy with the sound.

I'm very picky with HPs as I have at least 68mm ear size height and they stick out a bit.  This HP's earcups just fit my ears and is comfortable after a few hours of use so far.

However after two days of using it, it's now having the dreaded creaking sound.  First on the left earcup, then today it's also on the right earcup.
I can reproduce the issue in many ways, but the creaking sound is most audible when worn without any music and turning on NC:
1. Press on the sides of the "Sony" label (the left or right sides of the connection that swivels).  
2. Another way is to look sideways to the left then right or vice versa.
3. Bend my head to the left and back.
4. Open my mouth or move my jaw.

Just like the others, the creaking sound affects mostly the left side.  I think it's not on the earcups themselves but perhaps on the swivel mechanisms.  I was thinking maybe the swivel mechanisms need some "lubrication" or something to remove the issue?

I generally use the NC feature without any music to drown-out the kids' noise in the house.  Now I'm starting to feel annoyed by the creaking sound but I just play music so I won't notice it. :)

I went back to the Sony store where I purchased it and hopefully will get a replacement by this week after approval.  I tried the grey beige color at the store and I can't hear the creak sound, although there's a faint sound that's related to plastic being pressed.  Maybe the issue will come out after a few days of use.  They said I was the first to ever buy the MDR-1000X in the city so they have no idea about the other units yet.

Aside from this creaking sound issue, it's the perfect HPs for me.  Looking forward to a good replacement unit this week.

Oct 29, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #597 of 2,709

Okay guys I have no creaks or squeaks whatsoever. The build quality seems pretty stellar to me .. I also tried a model on showcase at the airport here in Denmark and same thing.. Nothing like u guys were taking about ? Maybe it's a batch issue ?

Anyways the sound over wired amped is pretty stellar .. The bass rumbles and vibrates and holds up pretty well to my v mods :100:..less thump but cleaner output.. Really a swiss army of knives for me. And I've had quite a few headphones and iems. Im impressed to say the least. Tis my first pair of NCs .. U guys got me really worried ! Ncs are excellent !! Amazing !

I'm a happy bunny !!!

Update for you guys:

The mute feature when u bring your hand up to the right ear cup works in wired mode as well which is really convenient to have.

Also the touch controls work with gloves which is really handy for winter and colder climates !

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #598 of 2,709
Just got back from the store, where I had a quick comparison of the 1000x, QC35 and PXC 550.
In terms of noise cancellation and sound quality, the 1000x was definitely ahead for me.

However, I am a little bit worried about the comfort factor. The cups in the 1000x are much shallower than the QC35, and the upper/outer parts of my ears press lightly against the cloth covered inside. For 5 minutes, it was no issue as all. However, I am worried that it will be uncomfortable over a longer time. These are my first real headphones, so I don't have much experience.

Can anyone shed light on how they are supposed to fit?

Can you also compare it to the momentum 2.0 wireless?

Oct 29, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #600 of 2,709
That's RRP - no need to pay RRP in Australia, most shops are willing to discount between 10% & 15%, sometimes 20% if you are lucky.
I got my Bose QC35's and my B & W P7's for 20% discount - just have to do a little sweet talking/negotiation...
Only managed a measly 5% on my Bose QC30's though :frowning2:

BTW, $400 in USA would be without sales tax and when you look what our dollar is worth these days....

Even with (an unlikely for a brand new product) 20% discount it still comes out at US$425 - 5% more than the US RRP (I'm sure there will be US discounts too).

As much as I want these headphones Sony will not be getting my money in Aus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back