Sony MDR-1000X
Oct 27, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #556 of 2,709
Just received these here in Korea. When I tilt my head to the left quickly, there's a tiny creaking/rattling sound, but only in the left ear cup. If I press the left ear cup there's a creak as well. 

Have any of you guys experienced this? Is this normal? 

Thanks in advance!

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #557 of 2,709
  Just received these here in Korea. When I tilt my head to the left quickly, there's a tiny creaking/rattling sound, but only in the left ear cup. If I press the left ear cup there's a creak as well. 

Thanks in advance!

It's normal in the sense that seems to be happening with many units (or all). Seem the frame build quality isn't the best.
Mine will be delivered tomorrow and I'm not very excited about the plastic-creaking reports. At 315 EUR, build quality should be decent.

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #560 of 2,709

It's normal in the sense that seems to be happening with many units (or all). Seem the frame build quality isn't the best.
Mine will be delivered tomorrow and I'm not very excited about the plastic-creaking reports. At 315 EUR, build quality should be decent.

I've had this issue with my headset on the right can, at €379 this was a defect I was unwilling to accept, especially as I own equivalent headphones (The Momemtum Wireless 2.0) which do not have such an issue. 

The creaking noise was just too distracting especially on noise cancelling headphones, at that price point I just couldn't accept this, therefore I returned it. It's too bad as I liked the warm sound when coupled with my NW-ZX2 DAP and I liked the fact that they are LDAC capable whenever I want to switch to bluetooth listening, (although LDAC is a battery hog for the DAP itself)

If it wasn't for this issue it would have been perfect. I am tempted to get another one but I fear it may have the same issue.

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #561 of 2,709
If it wasn't for this issue it would have been perfect. I am tempted to get another one but I fear it may have the same issue.

Agree, doesn't seem acceptable. Mine ended up at 315 EUR with the Amazon.es pricing, but it's till too much for such basic flaws.

Just got a note from the tracking company saying they will be delivered today. I'll see if it's also noisy.

Was your like that out of the box or it started developing the issue with some use?

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #563 of 2,709
I've had mine for more than a week now and I don't have any creaking or rattling noise. I've had both the MDR-1A and MDR-100AAP and these made a creaking noise, but not my MDR-1000X. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I take these in and out of the case every day and it still isn't an issue even after daily recurring folding and usage. 

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #564 of 2,709
Agree, doesn't seem acceptable. Mine ended up at 315 EUR with the Amazon.es pricing, but it's till too much for such basic flaws.

Just got a note from the tracking company saying they will be delivered today. I'll see if it's also noisy.

Was your like that out of the box or it started developing the issue with some use?

+1 on creaking noise bad enough to cause me to return these otherwise wonderful headphones.

BarryT

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #565 of 2,709

It was like that out of the box, but I only truly noticed when I started moving with those on my head.
It should also be noted that they are inconfortable at first (they feel too tight) but that's just the pads on the cans that need some "burn in", after you wear those for a couple of hours they feel fine and you barely feel those anymore. I wish it didn't have that creaky plastic defect on the headband otherwise these would have been keepers. 

They have a sound quality on par with my Momementum wireless 2.0 (although with a warmer footprint, when on, of course, when off they feel awfully flat) and have a much better active noise cancelling, in fact better than the QC35, somewhat dangerous as they also filter the high frequencies to some extend so you're more isolated from the outside world than ever.

I'll go to some FNAC outlet and test the ones they have on display to see if it was just my unit or if they all have that particular defect.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #567 of 2,709
  I'll go to some FNAC outlet and test the ones they have on display to see if it was just my unit or if they all have that particular defect.

This sound like a fundamental design issue in either structure or materials. I'd bet that all of them either have the creaking or will develop it early. Parts loose inside the cup sounds like a potential assembly issue tho, probably only in some units.

I'm heading home soon and don't know if the 1000X were delivered, but I'm not very excited about them anymore. Wasn't sure I even needed a wireless/ANC set, and if it's built like a Happy Meal toy then it will be quite "meh".

Might be exaggerating... will post impressions later if I do get it.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #568 of 2,709

Thanks in advance!

interesting, I can only hear this sound from the left side, too

Quote:

I did exchange mine for a replacement pair however they too had the same problem. Was happy to take a second replacement but my local store didn't have another pair in stock, so I had to take a full refund.

Now I'm inclined to believe it's a design issue so replacement won't help.. anyway my replacement will arrive tomorrow, let's see what will happen

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #569 of 2,709
Just an update, I went to a FNAC outlet to test the MDR-1000X there, their demonstration unit had the same creaking issue, unlike my headset though it was present on both sides of the headband! That settles it for me, I will pass on that headset until such day that Sony ever releases a fixed revision of it.

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #570 of 2,709
Just an update, I went to a FNAC outlet to test the MDR-1000X there, their demonstration unit had the same creaking issue, unlike my headset though it was present on both sides of the headband! That settles it for me, I will pass on that headset until such day that Sony ever releases a fixed revision of it.

Those demo units always show what happens to all units given enough time.

Missed the mailman so I'll get mine tomorrow. Not very optimistic at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back