Sony Linkbuds S Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #31 of 175
Yeah, I also use AAC, connection is just way better and I cant really dectect any noticible SQ difference as you can when switching to the terrible SBC.

But I can't wait for them to get LC3 codec tho! Will hopefully mean even better battery life and lower latency.

Anyone tried the Linkbuds S with the new Azla Max tips? I got them on the way from Amazon :)

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #32 of 175
I didn't find enough sound difference to justify using LDAC on my S20 phone so just use AAC for better battery life. If your using LDAC what bit rate are you using? I found with LDAC I have to stick with either adaptive of the lowest bitrate. Anything higher gets choppy at best.
I think I experience this also. I have an S10 and after setting up the app and using for a few days remembered to go to developer settings to check the codec and found default was SBC, I selected LDAC and experienced that choppiness at the best quality setting. I feel it could be a Samsung issue as it seems to keep defaulting to AAC or when the buds are put back in the case, to SBC - regardless of the other quality settings.

I don't have a lot of time during the week to listen to music with my WM1Z + IER-Z1R but a guaranteed 1+ hour of listening time is when I do the housework. Although it would be the most logical time to use a wireless option I feel almost desperate to justify the 1Z/Z1R cost by taking advantage of every moment at home.
Tonight I used the Linkbuds, so much easier not having to deal with a cable catching on everything and having the canceling fade the vacuum noise etc away was nice.
I also had a quick blast on the exercycle and had to take a layer off as I warmed up, no cables, very easy.

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #33 of 175
Yes wireless wins on cevenience every time and sq, at least to me, is so good that I only really notice the difference to wired if I actually sit down with the specific intention to actually listen properly to my music

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #34 of 175
How is the wind noise rejection using ambient mode? I had a pair of the original donut Linkbuds which were great for mixing outside sound with music. But the fit was horrible and I eventually lost an earbud when it jumped out of my ear into some bushes. I also have a pair of Jabra Elite 75t but its ambient mode is quickly dominated by wind noise.

If these have a good ambient sound mode that does not overpower the music with wind noise, I may pick them up.

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #35 of 175
How is the wind noise rejection using ambient mode? I had a pair of the original donut Linkbuds which were great for mixing outside sound with music. But the fit was horrible and I eventually lost an earbud when it jumped out of my ear into some bushes. I also have a pair of Jabra Elite 75t but its ambient mode is quickly dominated by wind noise.

If these have a good ambient sound mode that does not overpower the music with wind noise, I may pick them up.
I find that even though they don't have wind noise detection in the app they are about as good at dealing with wind noise as the XM4 are with the feature enabled. Might have something to do with the different positioning and disegn of the mic position

Jul 21, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #36 of 175
I didn't find enough sound difference to justify using LDAC on my S20 phone so just use AAC for better battery life. If your using LDAC what bit rate are you using? I found with LDAC I have to stick with either adaptive of the lowest bitrate. Anything higher gets choppy at best.
Tbh i don't know I've not been in the developer options to check, I've dropped down to AAC now on the S22 Ultra will keep it at that as i did some testing yesterday & i couldn't tell much of a difference to, think I'll also drop both the Redmi & Tab S8 down to AAC as you mentioned for better battery life.

Jul 21, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #37 of 175
Tbh i don't know I've not been in the developer options to check, I've dropped down to AAC now on the S22 Ultra will keep it at that as i did some testing yesterday & i couldn't tell much of a difference to, think I'll also drop both the Redmi & Tab S8 down to AAC as you mentioned for better battery life.
I certainly find aac perfectly acceptable from my iPhone and iPad. LDAC from my A55 might be a bit better in a quiet room but for out and about in ambient noise I can’t tell the difference

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #39 of 175
Don't have a non android device so can't say for sure. But I bet if you set or leave alone the settings that allow you to tap the one bud for toggling the ANC/ambient mode it should work.

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #40 of 175
Has anybody connected these to a non-Android Walkman? I was wondering if you could activate the ANC and transparency modes or turn them off through tapping the earbuds alone.
Yes you can, the app stores everything in the buds so they work with any bt device

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #41 of 175
I have had these for just over a month and have used them for 153hrs so far. So that's pretty high for me. The only other product I used this heavily was a Fiio UTWS5/FH5 TWS adapter IEM combo. That combo sounds better but lacks the complete experience these give, making these a better all round solution for me.

I use them for around home, working, when I go for walks and runs, pretty much every where and I love that most of the time I don't have to play with them for fit or adjusting features.

But do have to admit the touch controls are a bit finicky to use compared to the AZ60. Just a bit less responsive. But since I don't use them as much it's tolerable.

I love how these sound, after so much bass heavy dark signatures these are such a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #42 of 175
I have had these for just over a month and have used them for 153hrs so far. So that's pretty high for me. The only other product I used this heavily was a Fiio UTWS5/FH5 TWS adapter IEM combo. That combo sounds better but lacks the complete experience these give, making these a better all round solution for me.

I use them for around home, working, when I go for walks and runs, pretty much every where and I love that most of the time I don't have to play with them for fit or adjusting features.

But do have to admit the touch controls are a bit finicky to use compared to the AZ60. Just not a bit less responsive. But since I don't use them as much it's tolerable.

I love how these sound, after so much bass heavy dark signatures these are such a breath of fresh air.
That's a lot of hours, I've just signed up to be able to record the activity.
I find the controls a bit hit and miss, especially skipping tracks the quick double or triple taps.
Is there a time limit that they will automatically replay after having been removed? I find that after about 5 minutes it won't start playing again and a single tap to play doesn't work.
I was listening to some music the past couple of days and they were sounding very good.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #43 of 175
Finally managed to deplete the battery on these. They lasted nearly 12 hours playing Audible audio books from my iPhone13Pro with anc, eq and dsee all disabled

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #44 of 175
That's impressive!

Jul 29, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #45 of 175
First time I have seen these on sale for $249 in Canada!
That's a pretty good savings, wish I could have got that when I bought my pair. But am happy with mine even at full retail. Listening to them as I type this :xf_cool: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back