Sony: I'm pretty pissed off
Oct 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 26
Wow. Thanks man. So I just hook my thumb inside cushion and pinch with my forefinger and gentle pull it out? If it's like that, seems pretty easy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just have two questions:

1. Are the velours glued using cheap glue that comes apart like the stocks due to heat heat and oils from the year and surround head skin?

2. When I get the Beyers, how do I stretch there inserts on their bottoms?

Also, if I wanted to (because I saw some thread on here where someone did the Beyer mod) they added extra firm foam (I guess at around 5-8 mm) under the Beyer pads to make them more firmer and comfier, do you recommend doing this or is it just personal style/taste/comfort?

Edit: Just tried removing the pads on mine just a bit, and all I did was hook my thumb in, and slowly pull and the edges on the outside using 2-3 finger, at one point I saw the cutoff area, so yeah I guess these are just slipped on at the factory.

If for any reason I ever want to go back to use these pleathers (I think my brother could reglue it) can you put them back on or is it not possible once you take them off?

Edit 2: BTW, you guys are awesome. Reps all around.
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #17 of 26
In terms of going back, you can do it anytime you feel like it, they're meant to be removable.

Back to the velours, when I bought mines, they weren't glued together at all. They come separate from each other. You could glue it if you wanted to add extra work for yourself or you can do what I did and just put them under the pads. Its hard to describe but I think you'll understand when you get them.

Speaking of putting them on, you will most likely have a hard time putting them on, to the point that you may start cursing out at anybody next to you lol. The key to putting them on is patience. I remember the analogy that was used to describe the best method to put them on. I read that you should look at it as if you're putting a new tire on your car wheels, or something like that lol.

The extra foam mod was I think a matter of preference, I never did that to mines and they were comfy enough as they were. Depending how long you've had your V6s it may take a while for them to get super comfortable period, once they do they're some of the best.

Last of all, no problem on the help and anytime. I remember when I first got my v6 I had the same questions lol. I'd also suggest you just roll with it and take them off for practice and try putting them on, trust me, it'll be alright and put them on again. Its also good practice for putting on the Beyer pads as those will, again, take a little bit more effort.

Peace

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #18 of 26
Nanashi,

By glue I didn't meant the foam that covers the drivers. But if you click on the link in I posted earlier to the tutorial, the guy's earspads have opened at the inner seam, which is what mine are doing. And that's what I'm worried about on the Beyers. Is there an inseam which is glued or is it not, cause I don't want them to split open.

As far as putting them on, I get the analogy. Just gotta stretch the "foot" out and then put it on the ears and then tug back a little bit until it gets into the grooves. Pretty simple. lol

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #19 of 26
I see what you mean, thought it was just the foam oval looking thing. With the Beyers you should have no such problems, those things are built tough as nails if you ask me, you'll see what I'm talking about when you get it. Its in the pictures too, the back is made out of some material that feels pretty, I guess hard and the seam don't really show much because of it. The build quality is superb to that of the Sony ones, although, I do like the way the Sony ones look on better.

Good Luck

Oct 10, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #20 of 26
Thanks. I did place an order for them last night, but I'll use the stock sony ones until it gets bad. Did some research and figured out what I could use to bond the edges of the two pleather pos pieces and then both the pads back on. Thanks so much for your help!

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #22 of 26
yeah, the non-sewn flaky earpads are SONY's Achilles' heel...but the Beyer velours earpads are known to give a bloated bass and a hollow sound as they will increase the distance between the drivers and your ears. No free lunch IME.

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #23 of 26
I've had mine for 6 months now and I've had no trouble with the pads, the cable however has been a different story. After about a month I noticed that if the cable was at a very specific angle I could hear a crackling noise and the sound would cut out a little in the left ear cup. Now I've had them for 6 months the cable has to be at a very specific angle for this not to happen. Unless I have the cable in just the right position I can't hear anything out of the left ear cup 
frown.gif
. I've never heard anyone else mention a problem like this before with the V6 so I guess I just got the short straw.

I'm currently trying to find a replacement that suits my music tastes but Grados cost a hell of a lot more in the UK so I'm having a hard time finding something, even after several weeks of browsing old threads the only thing that ever gets recommended in my budget are Grados (usually the SR225) :-/

Quote:
yeah, the non-sewn flaky earpads are SONY's Achilles' heel...but the Beyer velours earpads are known to give a bloated bass and a hollow sound as they will increase the distance between the drivers and your ears. No free lunch IME.

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #25 of 26
I don't own a soldering iron and for the money and time it would take me to fix them I'd rather buy a new pair of headphones. I actually doubt the problem is a simple soldering job, the audio cuts out depending on the positioning of the cable about a foot away from the ear cup so it seems like it could end up being a cable replacement job, I can't be bothered with the hassle given they're far from the most expensive headphones in the world and I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade anyway. The hassle is just trying to choose something.

Quote:

A bit of soldering, a beefier strain relief and you'll be good to go.

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #26 of 26
I haven't heard the V6 but I've briefly owned the CD900ST, indeed you can get much better stuff w/o breaking the bank. To my ears, its 40mm drivers could only provide a very bloated "one note" bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back