SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 12, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #14,146 of 15,280
I listen to my A306 and XBA-N3 often as it's my most portable setup and battery life is good... The Z1R is calling... but I have resisted so far.
For out & about I use the BTR7 with a set of SE846's on a short Fiio balanced cable via BT LDAC 660 from phone. Do still have BTR5 but that's in my audio storage box. Use BTR7/SE846 for walking/cycling and no chance of SE846's coming out of ears and like nothing in your ear as so small/light (M9 good too for same reasons).

Z1R is purely for indoor use for now, though music still sounds/feels best out of my KEF LS50WII speakers & KEF Kube 8b sub :thumbsup:

I have never missed returning the Z1M2 and selling the A1M2 in preference for the A307 and its quicker operation, super portability and still great sound.

I imported the A1M2 from Japan and sold it in UK for slightly more than I paid for it !

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #14,147 of 15,280
I listen to my A306 and XBA-N3 often as it's my most portable setup and battery life is good... The Z1R is calling... but I have resisted so far.
Think I mentioned I had the XBA-N3 (still have a spare cable for it as in photos above!) but soon as I listened to it, was immediately not for me as I thought base was too bloated. Its only IEM I sold same day it arrived :sweat_smile: My work colleague in contrast loved it, but he came from sub £100 earphones.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #14,148 of 15,280
For those with love of BTR7 too, these clips from Amazon are great as shirt/belt/trouser clip and hold on strong to case with 3M adhesive tape it comes fitted with.

Nice, strong & low profile stainless steel.

I could easily cope with just having the BTR7 over LDAC BT from phone.

20230712_215533.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #14,149 of 15,280
I know, tried many of the others but prefer Spotify discovery/navigation etc. so its great for finding new stuff and then buy what I really want, plus its a DUO account to keep costs down and wife doesn't want to learn a new app and addicted to crime podcasts :sweat_smile:

Haha i still subscribe to spotify too though due same reason : wife doesn't want to migrate.
Apple music have family bundle but now since Im using apple music and wife still insist to use spotify, end up I'm paying double instead of saving cost 😅

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #14,150 of 15,280
Quick first impressions, this Sony IER Z1R’s are out of this world , they sound so rich and wide like your almost at the stage listening to the artist play. I need to listen to them some more and find some good fitting tips but overall you guys aren’t kidding this is truthfully something else. Completely different from anything I’ve used before .

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #14,151 of 15,280
Quick first impressions, this Sony IER Z1R’s are out of this world , they sound so rich and wide like your almost at the stage listening to the artist play. I need to listen to them some more and find some good fitting tips but overall you guys aren’t kidding this is truthfully something else. Completely different from anything I’ve used before .
Congrats and welcome.

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #14,152 of 15,280
What price? Agree, if it sounds fine Left vs Right you could knock something up seeing as saying tried it.
He's asking for 600 Australian dollars

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #14,153 of 15,280
He's asking for 600 Australian dollars
Well if you've listened to it and everything else complete and great condition plus you pref 300+ in your account then seems OK to me. Need to fab a cover with air hole in its place.

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #14,154 of 15,280
Encountered a big flaw with the Z1R 🫨

It sounds so bloody amazing I can't stop listening past midnight most nights so losing sleep ! 😴

Every song is like listening to it for the first time, its amazing.

I'm not even finding them uncomfy.

Thats it, hobby over, BTR7/Z1R is game over.

PS I've had a good few DAP's peeking at a WM1ZM2 but I'm really just prefering sound/usability of my BTR7 via balanced port, fed from phone over LDAC Best or wired using UAPP app.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #14,155 of 15,280
Encountered a big flaw with the Z1R 🫨

It sounds so bloody amazing I can't stop listening past midnight most nights so losing sleep ! 😴

Every song is like listening to it for the first time, its amazing.

I'm not even finding them uncomfy.

Thats it, hobby over, BTR7/Z1R is game over.

PS I've had a good few DAP's peeking at a WM1ZM2 but I'm really just prefering sound/usability of my BTR7 via balanced port, fed from phone over LDAC Best or wired using UAPP app.
Glad to hear your enjoying them that much, I finally got those tips you recommended earlier today from Amazon and one of those clear covers for them I don’t want to scratch them, I’ll be putting a few hours breaking them in this weekend.

Jul 14, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #14,156 of 15,280
Glad to hear your enjoying them that much, I finally got those tips you recommended earlier today from Amazon and one of those clear covers for them I don’t want to scratch them, I’ll be putting a few hours breaking them in this weekend.
I got M9 first due to fit concerns with the Z's but as good a the M9's are technically, these are way more my type of sound for pure enjoyment of music.

Jul 14, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #14,157 of 15,280
I got M9 first due to fit concerns with the Z's but as good a the M9's are technically, these are way more my type of sound for pure enjoyment of music.
I was originally going for the M9 since that has so many great reviews from everyone, but with me already having an M7 I figured why not spend a little more and get an used Z1R instead.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #14,158 of 15,280
same route I took. i got the M9 first thinking it was fit better and that I would get a more balanced sound. I got the Z1R after two years and it's been great - fit and sound. hardly touch my M9 these days.

Jul 15, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #14,159 of 15,280
Enjoying my Z1R, even when playing video games, decided to plug thse into my ps5 and is crazy how much more details you can hear when playing Elden Ring, overall I’m extremely happy with these IEM’s.

I’ve been using the stock cables rather than my kimber cable I got for the M7, the Kimber cable feels a bit too cumbersome for me, I’ve found for my ear shape the standard stock cables work best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back