SONY IER-Z1R
Dec 26, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #12,931 of 15,277
9C091CC2-331B-46FB-8E1C-80579103FE19.jpeg
Just joined IER-Z1R family. It’s huge and built like a tank. I am using stock MS silicon ear tip. This IEM really sings when the sealed is good. Coming from custom, I am still experimenting, and appreciate any recommendations on good ear tips to explore) :)

I telling myself that it is my last purchase :)

Dec 26, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #12,932 of 15,277
9C091CC2-331B-46FB-8E1C-80579103FE19.jpegJust joined IER-Z1R family. It’s huge and built like a tank. I am using stock MS silicon ear tip. This IEM really sings when the sealed is good. Coming from custom, I am still experimenting, and appreciate any recommendations on good ear tips to explore) :)

Good luck on that last part 🤣

Dec 26, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #12,933 of 15,277
9C091CC2-331B-46FB-8E1C-80579103FE19.jpegJust joined IER-Z1R family. It’s huge and built like a tank. I am using stock MS silicon ear tip. This IEM really sings when the sealed is good. Coming from custom, I am still experimenting, and appreciate any recommendations on good ear tips to explore) :)

AZLA SednaEarfit MAX Standard​

Dec 26, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #12,934 of 15,277
Hi all,
Can you recommend the best mobile DAP for IER-Z1R? I’ve narrowed the list down to these top 6 DAP by order of preference and value. Curious to hear what you are using and how you decided.
  1. iBasso DX320: all rounder with balanced ROHM dac sound, fast UI, pretty screen, reasonable price and swappable ports, but not very powerful. Likely to buy this one….
  2. Shanling M9: lovely AKM sound with deep bass extension, fast UI, nice volume always on display, but not very powerful
  3. Sony WM1ZM2: amazing sub-bass extension and layering, but relatively slow UI, small screen (noticeable low youtube fps) and underpowered for full-sized cans. Cost 2x of DX320!
  4. Fiio M17: insane output power, all the ports you need, can second as a desktop dac/amp with clean dry sound sig but super heavy, gets warm quickly
  5. Cayin N8ii: nice euphonic tube sound with many experimentation, but slightly underpowered, small lower res screen running on android 9. Cost 2x of DX320!
  6. A&K SP3000: Personally haven’t tested this as not available at the time but in consideration since highly rated and using AKM chip. However, dislike closed OS system (tested SP2000T with laggy UI) and it cost 2.5x of DX320!

Thanks! In case helpful, my additional context below:

Current setup:
  1. Mobile: Samsung S7 edge > Luxury Precision W2 (CS43198) / Lotoo PAW S1 (AKM4377)
  2. Desktop: Macbook pro > Chord Mojo

Target use case: Mostly mobile listening, e.g. evening walks, journey to office, Less desktop use as I can use the Chord Mojo.

Genres:
  • 50% KPop (blackpink, aespa, IU)
  • 30% classical (beethoven, vivaldi, tchaikovsky)
  • 10% rock/metal (linkin park, metallica, a7x)
  • 10% electronic (sophie, daft punk, skrillex)
  • 10% indie (lorde, lana del rey)

Ideal DAP features by priority
  1. Fast, lag-free UI, can use streaming services and gives iPhone like experience, prefer open Android systems than Sony / A&K OS
  2. Musicality - prefer smooth, mellow U shape sound sig with good extension in bass and treble for Kpop. Amazed by “far out instruments”/3D effect soundstaging for classical. Like sweet mids for female vocals but not deal breaker
  3. Good price/SQ ratio
  4. Light weight for good portability + doesn’t get too warm to burn a hole in the pocket!
  5. High power output to support difficult cans during 10% of the time (Beyer T1 Gen 1, Senn HD800S)
  6. Changeable ports/battery for longevity (parts which wear out over time)
  7. Good battery life >10 hours and reasonably fast charging
  8. Don’t care for: Sound equalizer. 2.5mm port. Bluetooth support, Tidal MQA support, built in memory (can add SD card), advanced materials (e.g. Sony “gold plated” shell)
Try Hiby RU6 with your phone first, I have Paw S1, but RU6 is much better. If you like the sound signature and want even better in a DAP, Hiby RS8.

Dec 27, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #12,935 of 15,277
Hi @Royal Navy, Interesting idea! However, my mojo is 5 years old and battery is not great.. also I will be using streaming services 80% of the time and saw some reviews that getting it to work with Spotify Premium may be unpleasant.. also couldn't find a decent price used unit in my area.. but thanks!

Hi emdevee, Thanks for agreeing on the iBasso :) I tried the AK Kann Max and no question it's extremely powerful but I found the SQ a bit flat (maybe due to the ESS sabre dac) but I also found the UI laggy and the screen was too small to type..

Hi DynamicEars, thanks so much indeed I tried 1ZM2 more than 5 different times at a Sony Flagship store and it sounded great on IER-Z1R - really heard things I didn't on my LPW2 and on par/better than the Mojo. However, just dismayed (for the price) it couldn't push full sized Beyer T1 to my preferred loudness. Also a bit nitpicky for $3,000 flagship DAP but it was only playing Youtube 1080p videos at 24fps or 30fps. Will keep in consideration

The M17 is another great option with amazing SQ and tons of power although it feels like carrying a powerbank around and will tear a hole in my gym shorts! :beyersmile: due to relatively lower power output, M11plus ESS seems like a stopgap which I will come back in 3 months to look for1ZM2/M17/DX320 hahaha

Thinking to start with DX320 get 1ZM2 next Christmas or something just to complete the set. I've also spent a lot of time with DMP-Z1 and that one is a no-brainer in terms of sound and power - too bad I can't shrink it into a DX320 form factor hahaha...

Cheers, friends :beerchug:
And the cheaper WM1AM2?

Dec 27, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #12,936 of 15,277
And the cheaper WM1AM2?
I prefer the 1ZM2 and AKM DAC type sound signature and the 1AM2 also has the Sony OS which works but is relatively slow/laggy. Hoping this is the last DAP purchase, like our friend Sabre2 :beerchug:

Dec 27, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #12,937 of 15,277
I prefer the 1ZM2 and AKM DAC type sound signature and the 1AM2 also has the Sony OS which works but is relatively slow/laggy. Hoping this is the last DAP purchase, like our friend Sabre2 :beerchug:
WM12 and WM1ZM2 both have android. The firt gen released in 2016 are the oned wirh sony os. DMP-Z1 has also sony oa.

I akso lije the aound of AKM and the pure SQ from my DMP

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #12,938 of 15,277
I think I found these here: https://ear-inc.myshopify.com/produ...onnectors-adapter?_pos=1&_sid=24c82f8c0&_ss=r

I ordered a pair so will be able to see how they fit.
I modified mine by filing/sanding down the 2 pin socket for more clearance and compability with non-recessed 2pin cables. Pictures so you can compare the difference. Left side w/o socket and right with socket still intact.
I find these angled connectors have a more (and pleasing) snug fit into the MMCX sockets than my non-angled OE brand MMCX-to-2 pin adapters. The adapters can still rotate, but not nearly as freely as the OE. In other words, the adapters (and cable) should stay in position while listening. Likewise, the adapter sockets hold my recessed style cable quite securely. The cable would too easily fall out of the OE adapter, so I'm liking the socket. It's a good idea, @driftstar, to sand away the socket to enable non-recessed cables. I was thinking maybe cutting, but that could be injurious. :rolling_eyes:

By the way, for those who haven't already tried, OE 90-degree angle sockets don't fit the Z1Rs -- only these 45 degree angle sockets.

Shout out to @driftstar for bringing these adapters to the attention of Z1R owners. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Attachments

• Angle connectors (2).jpg
    Angle connectors (2).jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Angles attached (2).jpg
    Angles attached (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #12,939 of 15,277
o have not vhanged cables sinve day 1 of ownerahip, partly due to bad experiwnce with XBA-Z5 MMCX, ive got a brand new set of XBA-Z5 need to pivk them in Gamburg

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #12,940 of 15,277

My last purchase was always my last purchase. As for tips, may I recommend to you Moondrop's Spring tips? I have been using them and it is more comfortable than stock tips. Additionally, the bore is wider so it does sound more expansive to me than default tips.

By the way, what a sweet setup you have!

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #12,941 of 15,277
Hi all,
Can you recommend the best mobile DAP for IER-Z1R? I’ve narrowed the list down to these top 6 DAP by order of preference and value. Curious to hear what you are using and how you decided.
  1. iBasso DX320: all rounder with balanced ROHM dac sound, fast UI, pretty screen, reasonable price and swappable ports, but not very powerful. Likely to buy this one….
  2. Shanling M9: lovely AKM sound with deep bass extension, fast UI, nice volume always on display, but not very powerful
  3. Sony WM1ZM2: amazing sub-bass extension and layering, but relatively slow UI, small screen (noticeable low youtube fps) and underpowered for full-sized cans. Cost 2x of DX320!
  4. Fiio M17: insane output power, all the ports you need, can second as a desktop dac/amp with clean dry sound sig but super heavy, gets warm quickly
  5. Cayin N8ii: nice euphonic tube sound with many experimentation, but slightly underpowered, small lower res screen running on android 9. Cost 2x of DX320!
  6. A&K SP3000: Personally haven’t tested this as not available at the time but in consideration since highly rated and using AKM chip. However, dislike closed OS system (tested SP2000T with laggy UI) and it cost 2.5x of DX320!

Thanks! In case helpful, my additional context below:

Current setup:
  1. Mobile: Samsung S7 edge > Luxury Precision W2 (CS43198) / Lotoo PAW S1 (AKM4377)
  2. Desktop: Macbook pro > Chord Mojo

Target use case: Mostly mobile listening, e.g. evening walks, journey to office, Less desktop use as I can use the Chord Mojo.

Genres:
  • 50% KPop (blackpink, aespa, IU)
  • 30% classical (beethoven, vivaldi, tchaikovsky)
  • 10% rock/metal (linkin park, metallica, a7x)
  • 10% electronic (sophie, daft punk, skrillex)
  • 10% indie (lorde, lana del rey)

Ideal DAP features by priority
  1. Fast, lag-free UI, can use streaming services and gives iPhone like experience, prefer open Android systems than Sony / A&K OS
  2. Musicality - prefer smooth, mellow U shape sound sig with good extension in bass and treble for Kpop. Amazed by “far out instruments”/3D effect soundstaging for classical. Like sweet mids for female vocals but not deal breaker
  3. Good price/SQ ratio
  4. Light weight for good portability + doesn’t get too warm to burn a hole in the pocket!
  5. High power output to support difficult cans during 10% of the time (Beyer T1 Gen 1, Senn HD800S)
  6. Changeable ports/battery for longevity (parts which wear out over time)
  7. Good battery life >10 hours and reasonably fast charging
  8. Don’t care for: Sound equalizer. 2.5mm port. Bluetooth support, Tidal MQA support, built in memory (can add SD card), advanced materials (e.g. Sony “gold plated” shell)

I like your list. It is comprehensive and covers every style of top end DAP. But I feel that there may be some compromises you have to make in order to get a dap that fits you. Maybe you don't even have to buy that expensive a DAP.

There are a few more DAPs you could consider like the Shanling M6 Ultra which I feel will fulfil your points 1-5 and 7. The Shanling sound plus 4 AK4493SEQs is really equal parts musical, smooth and detailed. There is also the yet to be released Fiio M15s and currently available Fiio M11 Plus ESS. Definitely not as smooth as S-Master/AKM/ROHM but it does tick a lot of checks in your lists.

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #12,942 of 15,277
My last purchase was always my last purchase. As for tips, may I recommend to you Moondrop's Spring tips? I have been using them and it is more comfortable than stock tips. Additionally, the bore is wider so it does sound more expansive to me than default tips.

By the way, what a sweet setup you have!
I tried the Moondrop's Spring tips for 3 nights. Around 1-2 hours each time. They are not bad. Comparable with the stock hybrids. I have better results with wetted Xelastec. Got the Eartune Fidelity U a few days ago. Got the M size. This pair of ear tips, is the best I tried so far. Used to avoid songs with male vocals of the loudness war period due to the recessed mids to me. This ear tips solved this problems for me. Went thru all most of the songs that I used to avoid and happy to report that this particular problem is no longer making me feel unsatisfied with those songs. Am feeling pain again after the hour mark. Might need time to get used to it again and for the pain to go away.

Highly recommend this Eartune Fidelity U. The Fedex shipping was slow and costs me USD25 to ship to Singapore but it's well worth it.

Will like to add this. I came out of retirement from Headfi around 2 months ago after getting the IER Z1R and a 1z at the same time. Took to around 2 months to read from the beginning of this thread to the current ones. Thank you to all that have shared experiences and tips regarding this incredible IEM. This IEM is so good that I just placed an order for Brise Yatono RH2 2023 version with MMCX for IER-Z1R.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #12,943 of 15,277
Spinfit W1
-Medium wide bore that just slightly larger than Z1R's nozzle, thus sound resonance perfectly
-The tacky but soft umbrella that have great seal, bot as tacky as xelastec, near azla crystal tackiness
-hard stem material that doesn't dampen sound, they have great impulse response, thanks to @AmericanSpirit I learned so much more about these thus made the mid bass sounded fast and tighter

Overall one of the best sound and fit for me for my Z1R

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #12,944 of 15,277
Just received my first ever Z1R and for the first session of listening, used the azla crystal tips. Sound was very good, but some high treble sounded wonky, to me. Will try the spinfits next.

My first impressions of this famous, storied IEM: I'll give it the time to explore fully, especially on tips, as it gives me an entirely different sound than any other of my IEMs. That said, I fully understand the commentary on comfort here. These are definitely the least comfortable iem I have. They are pretty freaking huge compared to all my others and definitely not great for bed and sleep, at least compared to my others.

But the sound is intriguing, as is well reported, and very unique to my ears. I don't know...i hope it grows on me as I post nearly the 13,000th post in this thread which is even bigger and less comfy than the iem🤣🤣🤣

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #12,945 of 15,277
Just received my first ever Z1R and for the first session of listening, used the azla crystal tips. Sound was very good, but some high treble sounded wonky, to me. Will try the spinfits next.

My first impressions of this famous, storied IEM: I'll give it the time to explore fully, especially on tips, as it gives me an entirely different sound than any other of my IEMs. That said, I fully understand the commentary on comfort here. These are definitely the least comfortable iem I have. They are pretty freaking huge compared to all my others and definitely not great for bed and sleep, at least compared to my others.

But the sound is intriguing, as is well reported, and very unique to my ears. I don't know...i hope it grows on me as I post nearly the 13,000th post in this thread which is even bigger and less comfy than the iem🤣🤣🤣
Welcome to the club!

Yes some IEMs takes time to well adapted to our ears, that includes eartips rolling etc. That's why sometimes comparison between our daily gears that we are so used to vs 1 hour session other IEM that we loan / try on the store can be very biased.

The azla crystal isnt bad tips at all, they are great match for intense Z1R 6khz, but less tight on mid bass compared to spinfit W1 due the materials. Cant have the best of everything, just pick ones that closest to your preferences but spinfit W1 worth a try. Spinfit cp100+ also if you want to tame little bit 5-8khz to reduce 6khz but then perceived as bass part bit bigger than usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back