SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 19, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #12,691 of 15,280
Slowly reading my way through this thread and considering a purchase. Can anyone speak to failures and whether it would be worth taking an extended warranty plan? I understand they only come with a 1 year warranty here in Canada. I'm looking to purchase new, but would consider used if someone has a set they want to part with at a reasonable price. I've seen them in the classifieds but the most recent ad for a pair was over a month ago and no response to state if they're still available.

Note that I have a very specific use case: I wear IEMs while sleeping. I have constant tinnitus and the only way I've found relief is to be always wearing an IEM and listening to music/movies/tv. I've managed to break 2 pairs of Shure SE846 which have a signature that I absolutely love. I'm hoping the Z1R would be comparable, if not better. I've tried other high-end universal IEMs but so far haven't managed to find a pair of Z1R in the wild so I have no idea how they would sound to me.
For your use case, I think a TWS like Galaxy Buds Pro 2 would be a good alternative.

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #12,692 of 15,280
Slowly reading my way through this thread and considering a purchase. Can anyone speak to failures and whether it would be worth taking an extended warranty plan? I understand they only come with a 1 year warranty here in Canada. I'm looking to purchase new, but would consider used if someone has a set they want to part with at a reasonable price. I've seen them in the classifieds but the most recent ad for a pair was over a month ago and no response to state if they're still available.

Note that I have a very specific use case: I wear IEMs while sleeping. I have constant tinnitus and the only way I've found relief is to be always wearing an IEM and listening to music/movies/tv. I've managed to break 2 pairs of Shure SE846 which have a signature that I absolutely love. I'm hoping the Z1R would be comparable, if not better. I've tried other high-end universal IEMs but so far haven't managed to find a pair of Z1R in the wild so I have no idea how they would sound to me.
I would first ascertain if you can sleep with the IER-Z1R given its size and fit. With respect to an extended warranty, the IEM market moves so quickly that I suspect you’ll be seeking to side/up/grade before an unlikely repair is needed.

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #12,693 of 15,280
reading your impressions i was curious what do you listen mostly? i have interest in the z1r ...

Mostly jpop, but also other genre jazz, pop, pop rock, acoustics, rnb, soul sometimes
Seldom listen to metals.
Any specific genre you're listening to?

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #12,694 of 15,280
DO you turn on your sides while sleeping? If so the Z1R is not for you as they protrude out quite a bit and depending on you ear shape and canal size, they're prone to falling off due to their size and bulk. I would think something like the M7/9 with a flat and slim profile profile would be much better/more comfortable.

Yes, I do sleep on my sides, which is what is likely causing the multiple failures I've had with my SE846 pairs. I primarily sleep on my back though. I also use a memory foam pillow that seems to take care of any larger IEMs that I've tried that also protrude from the ear. My Fiio FH7 for example, which are similar to the Z1R in shape and size. That's one of the reasons I'm tempted to go new, just in case the fit isn't a great match for my anatomy. With new, I can likely return them within 30 days. I have a pretty good assortment of tips on hand so I won't have to use any of the stock ones that come with them.

Edit: Just reading up on the M7/9. I hadn't considered them as I've heard such great feedback on the Z1R. In the long run I should just break down and go back to customs, which had the best fit ever of course.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #12,695 of 15,280
For your use case, I think a TWS like Galaxy Buds Pro 2 would be a good alternative.
Completely agree. The tuning of the Galaxy Buds2 Pro and the AKG N400NC TWS is near perfect— and surprisingly I prefer them over everything in my signature.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #12,696 of 15,280
I've tried assorted TWS earbuds and decided they're not for me. As much as Bluetooth has improved over the years, I'm still seeing occasional dropouts. I'm perfectly fine with using wired IEMs - I have been for the last 5+ years since the tinnitus started. It's just the metal/stronger casing and the great reviews of the Z1R that has peaked my interest. I just broke the right earbud on my 2nd pair of SE846 last night - still usable but it's time to move up to something with more durability.

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #12,697 of 15,280
I would first ascertain if you can sleep with the IER-Z1R given its size and fit. With respect to an extended warranty, the IEM market moves so quickly that I suspect you’ll be seeking to side/up/grade before an unlikely repair is needed.
I've been very happy with my SE846. Certainly they aren't for everyone (which IEM is?) but they match with my anatomical and neurological makeup to provide great sound quality while being very comfortable to wear. And because I like their signature, I've had little urge to move to anything else. I suspect the Z1R would last a lot longer than any IEM using plastic shells.

Oct 19, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #12,698 of 15,280
DO you turn on your sides while sleeping? If so the Z1R is not for you as they protrude out quite a bit and depending on you ear shape and canal size, they're prone to falling off due to their size and bulk. I would think something like the M7/9 with a flat and slim profile profile would be much better/more comfortable.
After reading some reviews and comments, the M9 certainly is another option. It uses the magnesium alloy casing as well. I'm probably going to order a pair of them along with the Z1R and see which one is more to my liking. Thanks for mentioning them... I tend to always look at the flagships when I'm searching for new gear but that's a practice I should try to change.

EDIT: Decided to give the IER-M9 a try first. At my age and with my tinnitus, going with the flagship isn't likely going to benefit me as much. I can still tell the difference between IEMs like my Shure SE846 and Fiio FH7, and certainly between my cans as well. But will the extra $$ for the IER-Z1R be that much better? Hopefully the M9 meet or exceed the signature of the SE846, which I really love. They're not for everyone, but they suit me fine... just wish they came in an all metal enclosure. The new Gen2 version is 1/2 in anodized aluminum, but the other half is still plastic.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #12,700 of 15,280
EDIT: Decided to give the IER-M9 a try first. At my age and with my tinnitus, going with the flagship isn't likely going to benefit me as much. I can still tell the difference between IEMs like my Shure SE846 and Fiio FH7, and certainly between my cans as well. But will the extra $$ for the IER-Z1R be that much better? Hopefully the M9 meet or exceed the signature of the SE846, which I really love. They're not for everyone, but they suit me fine... just wish they came in an all metal enclosure. The new Gen2 version is 1/2 in anodized aluminum, but the other half is still plastic.
I have both the M9 and Z1R and I think for your use case the M9 is the better choice. A strong recommendation is to look for some Sony EP-NI1000 tips, because they alleviate the pressure build up of the M9 and sound great at the same time. M9 is fully sealed and prone to vacuum effects, and if you put pressure on them they could cause overpressure. EP-NI fixes that.
Sound wise the M9 is warm-refined, detailed and coherent and much more relaxed, the Z1R is super energetic. Quite different sound despite the similar FR.
And fit of the Z1R is really a challenge - I can’t imagine that you find such a comfortable position that they are good for sleeping with them.
M9 is very comfortable and trouble free with the EP-NI tips.

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #12,701 of 15,280
I have both the M9 and Z1R and I think for your use case the M9 is the better choice. A strong recommendation is to look for some Sony EP-NI1000 tips, because they alleviate the pressure build up of the M9 and sound great at the same time. M9 is fully sealed and prone to vacuum effects, and if you put pressure on them they could cause overpressure. EP-NI fixes that.
I take it that those tips aren't included with the assortment in the retail package? I get them tomorrow as I ordered through Amazon. They offer the easiest return option should they not meet my needs.

The SE846 are also prone to vacuum effects but a quick jiggle of them while inserted has always relieved the vacuum or in some cases, the pressure of the trapped air. I've experienced both the vacuum and pressure effects with the SE846, but not a deal breaker as I adore the signature so much. Really hoping the M9 will match or exceed them, but everyone's anatomical and neurological make up is different - we only know once we try!

I do watch a lot of movies and TV with headphones or IEMs. I hope the soundstage of the M9 is decent. I've seen many comments that the Z1R has a great soundstage. Either way, using IEMs/cans are still the simplest way for me to combat my tinnitus. Thanks for the 'tip' tip! 🤣

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #12,702 of 15,280
I take it that those tips aren't included with the assortment in the retail package? I get them tomorrow as I ordered through Amazon. They offer the easiest return option should they not meet my needs.

The SE846 are also prone to vacuum effects but a quick jiggle of them while inserted has always relieved the vacuum or in some cases, the pressure of the trapped air. I've experienced both the vacuum and pressure effects with the SE846, but not a deal breaker as I adore the signature so much. Really hoping the M9 will match or exceed them, but everyone's anatomical and neurological make up is different - we only know once we try!

I do watch a lot of movies and TV with headphones or IEMs. I hope the soundstage of the M9 is decent. I've seen many comments that the Z1R has a great soundstage. Either way, using IEMs/cans are still the simplest way for me to combat my tinnitus. Thanks for the 'tip' tip! 🤣
I also secondly recommended the M9, I had M9 too, and the fit is great, but like @surfgeorge mentioned before, they have vacuum effect because of the close shell without any vents (intentionally created like this for professional musicians on the stage to have isolation), the pinch a hole trick will help if the vacuum effect is bothering you or use foam (EP NI-1000 is hybrid silicone and foam), but personal opinion, the foam is reducing high frequencies a little bit, especially from 4khz till upper high extension 15khz, with most audible differences is around lower treble area. I have the EP-NI1000 too but again this is my personal opinion.

The M9 have great imaging, super sharp, even the Soundstage isn't as wide as Z1R but they are very precise with imaging maybe hairline better than Z1R in terms of imaging and layering.
Z1R imaging and layering is helped with their large soundstage, so will be perceived together as nice large and precision. Same case with my UM Mest.
So for movies, yes they are great definitely but if we talk about movies, the Z1R have other benefit from the sub bass and mid bass punch.
I know it's kinda difficult choces more over is budget isn't your concern, but if the fit is over anything else, I can't recommend the Z1R let alone for sleeping, for casual listening session too, their fit is a niche

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #12,703 of 15,280
mostly rock (60s, 70s), some jazz and folk too..

You will benefit from the soundstage, the hotel California is the best experience with Z1R

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #12,705 of 15,280
added the ier-z1r to the collection along with a lavricable cable. I needed something longer for listening at my desk. The hooks over the ears are much more comfortable for me. I've been playing two completely two different songs over and over. Tired of California by Nessa Barrett and Selkies: An Endless Obsession. My ears are in pure bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back