SONY IER-Z1R
Oct 15, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #12,676 of 15,376
Currently pairing IER-Z1R with Shanling M8, which improvements (if any) to expect from IER-Z1R + WM1AM2?

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #12,677 of 15,376
Currently pairing IER-Z1R with Shanling M8, which improvements (if any) to expect from IER-Z1R + WM1AM2?

No idea and probably no one can tell you. I just like the Sony house sound as I use a ZX300 and a PHA-2A for my Z5 so I use the WM1AM2 with the Z1R as I believe that's the sound signature that Sony is aiming for and I really like it. Now if only Sony would release updated version of the TA-ZH1ES or the HAP-Z1ES, I'll be set for home.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #12,678 of 15,376
I so want a pair but I have nowhere close to go and try a pair - it’s driving me crazy lol

Oct 16, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #12,679 of 15,376
I so want a pair but I have nowhere close to go and try a pair - it’s driving me crazy lol
I bought them used, thinking if I can’t get them to fit I can sell them with minimal financial loss. Maybe that works for you too?!

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #12,680 of 15,376
Yeah used for these are settling on a comfy price range.

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #12,681 of 15,376
You guys need to find/meet a friend in Hong Kong. ZIR is going for $US$1250 new at most retailers. Express shipping will be under US$100. This is cheaper than most used price on ebay.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #12,682 of 15,376
You guys need to find/meet a friend in Hong Kong. ZIR is going for $US$1250 new at most retailers. Express shipping will be under US$100. This is cheaper than most used price on ebay.
Any links?

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #12,683 of 15,376
Any links?
https://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=343940

I was fortunate that a friend was planning to visit the U.S. during the summer so I got him to grab a set for me. Use Google translate on the site and maybe some of the retailer will be willing to ship overseas. Payment maybe a problem as they usually will only take cash or local debit cards and will charge a 2-3% sur-charge on major credit cards

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #12,684 of 15,376
It took me almost a year to finally settle on the right tip size. Started with M, then went up to LL for a long time. Then switched to a double flange silicone, then went back to LL, and finally settled on SS.
wow, never heard about such a jump...

i ordered spinfit cp100, cp145, symbio w hybrid, and final audio typ-e. but this time, due to your post, in s, m, and l and i will try them all intensely.

Oct 17, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #12,685 of 15,376
Does anyone have the Peli 1060 case with the padding, and with cutouts for the wm1z and ier-z1r? Any pictures?

Oct 18, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #12,687 of 15,376
20221019_102639.jpg
Recently I got great deal with UM mest mk I.
I like the the bass shelf tuning presentation that cleaner than Z1R, leaner 100-300hz than Z1R but overall Z1R have more authority on bass slam, and more realistic, open sub bass.
Z1R bass is 9.5 / 10 for me, while mest getting 8 / 10

Mids are more forward on Mest, details are there similar with Z1R, sometimes micro details more pronounced on Mest especially on busy / complex part of the song.

Trebles on mest are fun, boosted sparkling, unnatural yet addictive. A guilty pleasure, with more air on upper highs but the Z1R sounded more natural, decays properly with still have great extension. Mest have one of best implementation of EST that i ever heard (I never heard more than 2k EST IEM like odin, elysian X or annihilator or traillii), lot of EST tuning are "shy", not enough bite or extension on midfi class

Staging on Mest is wide. But Z1R sounded more spacious
The imaging and layering are slightly better than Z1R and M9 with Mest, very accurate and holographic. Maybe only can beaten with something like u12t.
Resolution is perceived higher with Z1R thanks to 4khz boost

Overall mest sounded same fun with Z1R but lean to little bit brighter sound.
They are both TOTL level, my pick between 2 if i have to choose 1 is still the Z1R, which i feel slight better overall as complete package.

But as i got new toy, I admit I reach the Mest past few days, craving for the fun and great imaging (with hallucinations if only the Z1R bass is here, so many times)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #12,688 of 15,376
Slowly reading my way through this thread and considering a purchase. Can anyone speak to failures and whether it would be worth taking an extended warranty plan? I understand they only come with a 1 year warranty here in Canada. I'm looking to purchase new, but would consider used if someone has a set they want to part with at a reasonable price. I've seen them in the classifieds but the most recent ad for a pair was over a month ago and no response to state if they're still available.

Note that I have a very specific use case: I wear IEMs while sleeping. I have constant tinnitus and the only way I've found relief is to be always wearing an IEM and listening to music/movies/tv. I've managed to break 2 pairs of Shure SE846 which have a signature that I absolutely love. I'm hoping the Z1R would be comparable, if not better. I've tried other high-end universal IEMs but so far haven't managed to find a pair of Z1R in the wild so I have no idea how they would sound to me.

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #12,689 of 15,376
20221019_102639.jpg
Recently I got great deal with UM mest mk I.
I like the the bass shelf tuning presentation that cleaner than Z1R, leaner 100-300hz than Z1R but overall Z1R have more authority on bass slam, and more realistic, open sub bass.
Z1R bass is 9.5 / 10 for me, while mest getting 8 / 10

Mids are more forward on Mest, details are there similar with Z1R, sometimes micro details more pronounced on Mest especially on busy / complex part of the song.

Trebles on mest are fun, boosted sparkling, unnatural yet addictive. A guilty pleasure, with more air on upper highs but the Z1R sounded more natural, decays properly with still have great extension. Mest have one of best implementation of EST that i ever heard (I never heard more than 2k EST IEM like odin, elysian X or annihilator or traillii), lot of EST tuning are "shy", not enough bite or extension on midfi class

Staging on Mest is wide. But Z1R sounded more spacious
The imaging and layering are slightly better than Z1R and M9 with Mest, very accurate and holographic. Maybe only can beaten with something like u12t.
Resolution is perceived higher with Z1R thanks to 4khz boost

Overall mest sounded same fun with Z1R but lean to little bit brighter sound.
They are both TOTL level, my pick between 2 if i have to choose 1 is still the Z1R, which i feel slight better overall as complete package.

But as i got new toy, I admit I reach the Mest past few days, craving for the fun and great imaging (with hallucinations if only the Z1R bass is here, so many times)

reading your impressions i was curious what do you listen mostly? i have interest in the z1r ...

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #12,690 of 15,376
Slowly reading my way through this thread and considering a purchase. Can anyone speak to failures and whether it would be worth taking an extended warranty plan? I understand they only come with a 1 year warranty here in Canada. I'm looking to purchase new, but would consider used if someone has a set they want to part with at a reasonable price. I've seen them in the classifieds but the most recent ad for a pair was over a month ago and no response to state if they're still available.

Note that I have a very specific use case: I wear IEMs while sleeping. I have constant tinnitus and the only way I've found relief is to be always wearing an IEM and listening to music/movies/tv. I've managed to break 2 pairs of Shure SE846 which have a signature that I absolutely love. I'm hoping the Z1R would be comparable, if not better. I've tried other high-end universal IEMs but so far haven't managed to find a pair of Z1R in the wild so I have no idea how they would sound to me.

DO you turn on your sides while sleeping? If so the Z1R is not for you as they protrude out quite a bit and depending on you ear shape and canal size, they're prone to falling off due to their size and bulk. I would think something like the M7/9 with a flat and slim profile profile would be much better/more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back