SONY IER-Z1R
Sep 19, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #12,616 of 15,280
What music ?
All formats except DSD is PCM
Just checked again, they are .wav file with bitrate of 141 kbps. It is strange that I use several windows music app, including Windows music player, Groove music and iTunes, all return with static noise except for VLC media player that can play them well. For my DAP, DX160 has no problem playing them as well.

I also have some other wav files that WM1A can play, so it must be those wave files potentially have some codec built-in?

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #12,617 of 15,280
Is that so? Doesn't it have Shure standard iem design that should make it fit quite snugly?
Sorry I confused them with the huge ugly one. For the models you mentioned you are right, except they need to be used a whole system.

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #12,618 of 15,280
Man.... I really do recommend KSE 1200 as a complement to the Z1R,
An Endgame 2 iem setup.
Finally I managed to mirror my MDR Z1R and ADX5000 setup with this pairing. :ksc75smile:

They both just sounds soo different and are good for different genres.
It is a system, but The KSE was made before Bluetooth Dac/amp is mainstream, with that strapped on the amp its a very neat little package. Using my BTR3 right now but I think the new BTR7 would be about the perfect size for it 🤔.

Both are still mostly chair-bound gear, but with very different build, fit and sound.
Just perfect for a 2 collection.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #12,619 of 15,280
Just checked again, they are .wav file with bitrate of 141 kbps. It is strange that I use several windows music app, including Windows music player, Groove music and iTunes, all return with static noise except for VLC media player that can play them well. For my DAP, DX160 has no problem playing them as well.

I also have some other wav files that WM1A can play, so it must be those wave files potentially have some codec built-in?
Corrupted files perhaps

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #12,620 of 15,280
Friends,
I'm thinking to get a DAP for the Z1R and considering between DX320 and WM1AM2 - anyone has tried both and can comment?

I tested WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 last week and walked away quite impressed with A but didn't like the Z due to price and weight.
> Z was really heavy after including the leather case!
> A had really nice sound and I appreciated streaming capabilities. However, Spotify glitched and wasn't skipping frames on the mini video reels. It froze mid-way with all apps (e.g. Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz) failing to open and needed a force reboot.
> A's power delivery was sufficient for Z1R but couldn't sufficiently drive full-sized headphones like HD660S, HD800S to my desired loudness.

Leaning toward DX320 for now with ~20-30% higher price but with smoother Android 11, better UX and much much higher output power.

Inputs appreciated :)

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #12,621 of 15,280
Friends,
I'm thinking to get a DAP for the Z1R and considering between DX320 and WM1AM2 - anyone has tried both and can comment?

I tested WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 last week and walked away quite impressed with A but didn't like the Z due to price and weight.
> A had really nice sound and I appreciated streaming capabilities. However, Spotify glitched and wasn't skipping frames on the mini video reels. It froze mid-way with all apps (e.g. Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz) failing to open and needed a force reboot.
> A's power delivery was sufficient for Z1R but couldn't sufficiently drive full-sized headphones like HD660S, HD800S to my desired loudness.

Leaning toward DX320 for now with ~20-30% higher price but with smoother Android 11, better UX and much much higher output power.

Have you tried High Gain?

I tested the WM1Z with the HD820 on high gain and it was pretty loud, too loud to put them on my head

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #12,622 of 15,280
Friends,

Depend on what you plan to plug on it really,i don't make a habit of plugging my T1 and ADX on the Walkman but when I do they are doing quite fine on High Gain, for me it's more about synergy and they got good ones there.

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #12,623 of 15,280
Can anyone please tell me the best way to clean the foams? I don't have particularly waxy ears but noticed a tiny amount on one side.
I would imagine that over time, even if not noticeable, a build up may occur and potentially impact the sound? Ideally I'd prefer not to remove them, is there another recommended process?

Sep 28, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #12,624 of 15,280
Can anyone please tell me the best way to clean the foams? I don't have particularly waxy ears but noticed a tiny amount on one side.
I would imagine that over time, even if not noticeable, a build up may occur and potentially impact the sound? Ideally I'd prefer not to remove them, is there another recommended process?
I wonder this as well.

Sep 29, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #12,625 of 15,280

I wonder this as well.

Actually the foam is glued on bottom part (end of inner nozzle) so you can take a fine tweezer, pull the foam gently so it will stretch and just blow the top-middle part of the foam or use camera blower and release the foam so it will come back to normal position automatically.
Do it gently.

Camera blower :
1664426330435.png

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #12,628 of 15,280
Sep 29, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #12,629 of 15,280
mico1964: Probably the best IEM cleaning device I have seen so far. It is not cheap definitely but in relation to prices of TOTL it is not so bad.
Do you have it?
Can it be operated on the European voltage as stated in the product description in the link?
Are the filters somehow special or can they be replaced with a third-party filtering material adjusted formwise only?

Oct 1, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #12,630 of 15,280
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158IERZ1R/Sony-IER-Z1R.html?cc=07&tp=60832 (scratch&dent for 1,398usd)

NIB are also on sale there for 1,698 😬 Does anyone want to do me a solid and buy them out? My bank account can’t (or, doesn’t want to) handle shelling out that much for something that may not even fit.

Incase anyone is unfamiliar with crutchfield they are primarily car/home audio (and better respected in those circles than any other mail order) and have customer support to rival anyone. Even audio46. Everything I have or ever will have for car audio came from them (except wiring. And the JL C5s, but they were discontinued before I realized so had to go with eBay for them).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back