SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 30, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #12,526 of 15,433
Hello, I am about to buy this IEM to use it with my SONY DAPs that are stated in my signature.
I intend to use this combo mainly outside (e.g. during long walks). Do you think that this IEM is suitable for such intended use?

Or would it be an overkill and I should use it mainly inside? In such a case which other IEMs would you recommend me for outside use?

Although they fitted me perfectly, there're quite a few people/reviews that said that depending on the size and shape of your ears, they may not seat well or can be un-comfortable due to the size and shape of the Z1R. Do your best to see if you can find someone with a set and try them out first.

Aug 30, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #12,527 of 15,433
About 60-70 low gain
I can wear them all day if I have to, but I only wear them sitting or lying down. They would never be my out and about IEMs, not because of weight but because I'd be too scared of damaging or losing them.

I often listen to high DR, well recorded tracks at 90/95 low gain from the WM1Z. Z1R is so clean, and the Walkmans don't distort regardless of volume. But for more modern music I'm usually at 80-85. I do have slight hearing loss, so my 90 is 80 or 70 for someone with better/normal hearing.

Thanks guys, Ill keep that in mind as I explore different genre and see. Didn't really get to play with it much last night after setting it up, doing firmware update and transferring music files.

Aug 30, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #12,529 of 15,433
For those of you using a WM1A. What level are you usually listening at with the Z1R? I just got mine and I'm playing Eagles Hotel California 24/192 at 95 which is about the same level as with the ZX300. The big difference however is that the incidentals that was lacking in impact on the ZX300 now have the same impact as from the PHA-2A. I know it'll take a while to break the unit in but so far so good.
Around 60-70 lo Gain
DMP-Z1 knob between 8:45 and 9:45

Aug 30, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #12,531 of 15,433
Finally pulled the trigger for a used WM1A, bought on ebay from a Japanese seller. Finger crossed it will be in very good condition. Was considering RS2 for a while mainly because of its form factor and the R2R musicality. However, the recent reviews confirmed that the bass of RS2 is the weakness while its lush sweet mid-range is its strength. Maybe RS2 will compensate the Z1R midrange, the weak bass is simply not a good match for Z1R.

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #12,532 of 15,433
@DynamicEars how does the XBA-Z5 compares to IER-Z1R
Oops, I need to update my Z5 status, I send them back sadly, 1 of the right driver is burst :tired_face:

FR by DynamicEars - Sony XBA-Z5 dead driver.jpg

But i found interesting thing, that maybe actually the 16mm DD is not boosted on sub bass and mid bass, its tuned similarly like EX-1000 and EX-800 (see R unit, assuming 1 of BA driver is dead and no foam filter on nozzle), than overlapping by 1 full range BA for boosting bass (see L unit) so the big bass on Z5 here is boosted BA driver that have better control on mid and upper bass, but below that at the same time, the giant 16mm DD is pushing from below for sub bass rumble and mid bass punch impact while retaining good control of mid-upper bass.
As lot of us thinking before that DD is responsible for Bass portion, and 1 BA responsible for mids, and 1 BA for highs, but actually when I looked on sony specs about Z5, the driver config is DD + full range BA + high BA.
Anyway I really like the safe upper mids yet still detail and fine highs, only the upper and mid bass is too much for me, not as scary as graph though since handled by BA, they have great control on these region.
Thought I got jackpot with this old tiger for $180 but turned out I got lemon instead. Well not my day sadly.

Aug 31, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #12,533 of 15,433
Oops, I need to update my Z5 status, I send them back sadly, 1 of the right driver is burst :tired_face:

FR by DynamicEars - Sony XBA-Z5 dead driver.jpg

But i found interesting thing, that maybe actually the 16mm DD is not boosted on sub bass and mid bass, its tuned similarly like EX-1000 and EX-800 (see R unit, assuming 1 of BA driver is dead and no foam filter on nozzle), than overlapping by 1 full range BA for boosting bass (see L unit) so the big bass on Z5 here is boosted BA driver that have better control on mid and upper bass, but below that at the same time, the giant 16mm DD is pushing from below for sub bass rumble and mid bass punch impact while retaining good control of mid-upper bass.
As lot of us thinking before that DD is responsible for Bass portion, and 1 BA responsible for mids, and 1 BA for highs, but actually when I looked on sony specs about Z5, the driver config is DD + full range BA + high BA.
Anyway I really like the safe upper mids yet still detail and fine highs, only the upper and mid bass is too much for me, not as scary as graph though since handled by BA, they have great control on these region.
Thought I got jackpot with this old tiger for $180 but turned out I got lemon instead. Well not my day sadly.
O thonk the stage on Boy h is superb, onlz being wider on z6 and pn Z1R more depth and height, bass is pn both big but better on z1R same for z5 mids and high which, i found They lacked extension on z5.
Maybe z5 need more power to show that extension. I kind of regret selling mine . Wouid have been good to test them on the DMP

Aug 31, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #12,534 of 15,433
There are rumours of a DMP-Z1 M2 & MDR-Z1R M2 coming at the end of 2022, but nothing on IER-Z1R M2 unfortunately.
The Z1R was released on 2018 October so they are almost 4 years old. Does anyone have a sense of how often Sony updates their IEMs? I have a NW-WM1ZM2 on "pre-order" in Canada and am looking at getting the Sony or Senn I900. I do get FOMO so I'd hate to buy the Sony IEM and then have them updated less than a year later.

Aug 31, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #12,535 of 15,433
The Z1R was released on 2018 October so they are almost 4 years old. Does anyone have a sense of how often Sony updates their IEMs? I have a NW-WM1ZM2 on "pre-order" in Canada and am looking at getting the Sony or Senn I900. I do get FOMO so I'd hate to buy the Sony IEM and then have them updated less than a year later.
Buy one now, buy again when the new one comes out.

Aug 31, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #12,536 of 15,433
Z1R will be world class even if Sony release a new version, and there's no guarantee you'll like the new version anyway. Even if you decide to upgrade, you won't lose too much on a used Z1R, just be sure to keep it looking new.

Aug 31, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #12,537 of 15,433
Z1R will be world class even if Sony release a new version, and there's no guarantee you'll like the new version anyway. Even if you decide to upgrade, you won't lose too much on a used Z1R, just be sure to keep it looking new.
I really hate selling things because of all the drama of dealing with low-ballers, etc.

I tried to search the forum for recommended pairings for the Sony WM1ZM2 and couldn't find anything. I had an iBasso DX80 which I had to have repaired (but iBasso damaged it worse and it was DOA) so this is my first really high end DAP. I listen to all sorts of music (Dire Straights, opera, pop) and really enjoy detail and open soundstage and started looking at the Sony Z1R and Sennheiser IE900. I've read that using a balanced connection will allow for more volume and I'm wondering if there is any way the WM1ZM2 could power the HD800S with a balanced cable.

I will primarily be using the DAP+IEM for flights and in-bed use.

In Canada, I can "readily" buy the Sony or Sennheiser IEMs (which is nice since the WM1ZM2 has been on pre-order status for at least two months).

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #12,538 of 15,433
connection allows fot more power
I really hate selling things because of all the drama of dealing with low-ballers, etc.

I tried to search the forum for recommended pairings for the Sony WM1ZM2 and couldn't find anything. I had an iBasso DX80 which I had to have repaired (but iBasso damaged it worse and it was DOA) so this is my first really high end DAP. I listen to all sorts of music (Dire Straights, opera, pop) and really enjoy detail and open soundstage and started looking at the Sony Z1R and Sennheiser IE900. I've read that using a balanced connection will allow for more volume and I'm wondering if there is any way the WM1ZM2 could power the HD800S with a balanced cable.

In Canada, I can "readily" buy the Sony or Sennheiser IEMs (which is nice since the WM1ZM2 has been on pre-order status for at least two months).
A balanced connection not only wllo s for more volum (power), also less noise and more separation and detail, as each vhannel is separated (no common ground as with stereo mini jack)

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #12,539 of 15,433

I've owned both IE 900 and Z1R and prefer the Z1R by some margin. Fit might be an issue though, while the IE 900 is an easy fit (for most people). You won't go wrong with either IEM. Personally I wouldn't try drive the HD800S from any DAP, especially not a Sony DAP. It'll get loud enough but you'll lose all the control and refinement that headphone is capable of with a proper desktop amp.

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #12,540 of 15,433

Balanced will allow for 4x the power, yes. Unbalanced gives you 62.5mW and Balanced gives you 250mW

I've only had the HD820 for roughly a month, not sure how much different it is to the HD800S but i could drive the HD820 perfectly on Low-Gain with the WM1Z and the M11 Plus. For very quiet songs i had to go to Mid-Gain on the M11 Plus but because Low-Gain on the WM1Z is louder than Low-Gain on the M11 Plus.

But other than that, i did not have any issues. You will, of course, be able to speeze a bit more sound quality out with an Desktop Amp, but that is always the case, no matter what Earhpone/Headphone you choose.

At lower voluems, the DAPs even performed better than my Desktop Amp. Capacitors change their sound depending on how much power you drain out of them. If you listen at lower volumes, Desktop Amps often start to sound meh.

But the HD820 were very easy to drive, i was surprised. So if the HD800S are the same, you won't have any issues

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back