SONY IER-Z1R
Jun 11, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #12,151 of 15,280
From a technicalities standpoint, I think the IER-M9 is superior. It has far better detail retrieval and instrument separation, as well as more accurate imaging and better treble extension.

But the Z5 has a wider soundstage and quite a unique presentation overall with huge bass, rich mids and a relaxing treble rendition. I sold my Z5 but decided to pick up another one a few months back and I gotta say, I have no regrets. I think there’s something special about Sony’s old 16mm DD and the amount of air it can displace when driven properly. Some say the EX1000 is the best IEM that utilised the 16mm DD but I personally much prefer the Z5’s tuning and technicalities.
I see. Thank you for your insight. I will take this into consideration. The imaging on the Z1R is something that has spoiled me.

thank you very much. but you have the ier-z1r - still missing in my collection :)
With a collection like yours, you are not lacking anything. Take your time and maybe import it from Japan. I assure you, no disappointment.

Good question, I wouldn't be able to answer that one for you though as I never owned the M9. I did demo them several times in Japan when they were first released as a replacement for my Z5 and really liked them but when comparing my focus was almost entirely on the bass and I favoured the Z5's dynamic bass - perhaps stubbornness, I don't know but I didn't want to regret later. Maybe if I spent more time with the M9 and then went back to hearing the Z5 it would make them an easy choice as the other qualities would have stood out. There are also the M7 and N3 to consider.
I was going to suggest you checked @Redcarmoose reviews/comparisons/posts regarding the Z5 (also N3) but I see you already have. The N3 is a different design to the Z5, designed to be worn cable down but when I owned them I had success wearing them over the ear for a secure fit.
The M7 is not in my consideration due to a few reasons. I feel that for that price, Sony should have used the same magnesium alloy as the M9. Additionally, the cable they used is also cheaper. Having heard the M7, I feel that the bass doesnt go as deep.

As someone who has never heard the XBA-Z5, it is quite hard to understand the sound of it and I dont think I will get to demo it either unless I travel to the land of the rising sun.

At this point it seems likely for me to buy an IER-M9. I have tried the Campfire Andro 2020 as well which I would say comes quite close but not close enough. The Moondrop S8 is something I look forward to trying as well.

Jun 12, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #12,152 of 15,280
Owned M9 and heard Z1R before. Staging is just so impressive on Z1R and it's more "musical". M9 is also good, with much better fit.

Jun 12, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #12,153 of 15,280
I see. Thank you for your insight. I will take this into consideration. The imaging on the Z1R is something that has spoiled me.

With a collection like yours, you are not lacking anything. Take your time and maybe import it from Japan. I assure you, no disappointment.

The M7 is not in my consideration due to a few reasons. I feel that for that price, Sony should have used the same magnesium alloy as the M9. Additionally, the cable they used is also cheaper. Having heard the M7, I feel that the bass doesnt go as deep.

As someone who has never heard the XBA-Z5, it is quite hard to understand the sound of it and I dont think I will get to demo it either unless I travel to the land of the rising sun.

At this point it seems likely for me to buy an IER-M9. I have tried the Campfire Andro 2020 as well which I would say comes quite close but not close enough. The Moondrop S8 is something I look forward to trying as well.
I have the m9 & really enjoy how it does everything right in my book, I plan on buying the ier-z1r in the future also. I find that the m9 is a very entertaining & relaxing iem.

Jun 13, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #12,154 of 15,280
Thank you for sharing your reflections. I would actually like to pose this question to you as well as other forum members here.

Would you guys rank the XBA-Z5, purely in terms of sound, higher or lower than the IER-M9? As mentioned in my earlier post, I love the sound of the IER-Z1R and was thinking of replacing my on the go IEM with something Sony.

I will rank the M9 higher than Z5 absolutely.
the M9 have better technicalities than Z5, as they are created for professional musicians to monitor music on studio / live performance. They have better details, and very balance tonality, despite being full BA IEMs. The soundstage on Z5 is wider and spacious, but the soundstage on M9 is more accurate to studio, with better depth thus better layering. Imaging is better on M9 undoubtfully. The Z5 have more "fun" tonality and more impactful sub bass of course, and similar warmness to the M9 but Z5 feels darker to me due their tonality and better balance on the M9 (particularly on trebles).

Oh and M7 also using magnesium alloy for inner housing cavity, so resonance and the sound coming from their open BA should be similar to the M9. Just that outer shell on M7 is using plastic rather than M9 that using full magnesium alloy. Still the M9 is better on staging, imaging and trebles details.
I own triple IERs last time, but decided to let go the M9 as I feel redundant to have 3 of them value wise, I wish I could keep all of them, but I need to fill in back my wallet lol.

thank you very much. but you have the ier-z1r - still missing in my collection :)

That is one of the weirdest statement from someone that has TA-ZH1ES and WM1Z. seriously bro, one click buy button is your ticket to the Sony Music Heaven

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #12,155 of 15,280
I will rank the M9 higher than Z5 absolutely.
the M9 have better technicalities than Z5, as they are created for professional musicians to monitor music on studio / live performance. They have better details, and very balance tonality, despite being full BA IEMs. The soundstage on Z5 is wider and spacious, but the soundstage on M9 is more accurate to studio, with better depth thus better layering. Imaging is better on M9 undoubtfully. The Z5 have more "fun" tonality and more impactful sub bass of course, and similar warmness to the M9 but Z5 feels darker to me due their tonality and better balance on the M9 (particularly on trebles).
Thank you for your detailed sharing. You have solidified within me the notion that the IER-M9 is the superior option for me over the XBA-Z5.

Oh and M7 also using magnesium alloy for inner housing cavity, so resonance and the sound coming from their open BA should be similar to the M9. Just that outer shell on M7 is using plastic rather than M9 that using full magnesium alloy. Still the M9 is better on staging, imaging and trebles details.

As for my statement regarding Magnesium, I was referring to the external housing. I feel that on the M7, they cheaped out on it by using plastic. Nonetheless, I agree with your descriptions of the M9 being superior than M7 on the issues of staging, imaging and trebles details.

Once again, thank you for sharing and its a pleasure to see that in your signature, there is but 1 IEM for your endgame :wink: Cheers @DynamicEars!

Jun 14, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #12,156 of 15,280
Hey y'all sorry to intrude all of a sudden. I was interested in getting the Sony's soon. I just wanted to get an opinion from someone who's owned both the CA Solaris and the IER-Z1R. I LOVE the holographic sound and mids of the Solaris. How does the Sony's compare in these two areas? Thanks!

Jun 14, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #12,157 of 15,280
Hey y'all sorry to intrude all of a sudden. I was interested in getting the Sony's soon. I just wanted to get an opinion from someone who's owned both the CA Solaris and the IER-Z1R. I LOVE the holographic sound and mids of the Solaris. How does the Sony's compare in these two areas? Thanks!

Been long time since I heard the Solaris and I only have a half day session with them so take it with grain of salt. IF you only concern on that area, Solaris mids are more forward and emphasized than Z1R, and feels thicker with vocals (just similar like Andromeda that I had before). If you compare side by side the Z1R vocals may feels thin, but quality wise, they are similar if not Z1R have better resolution because of the 4khz boost. So if that area is your main concern, you may audition the Z1R first. The M9 may have similar emphasized mids vocals, along with warm thick weight on them.
But if you are talking about bass, no contest here. THe sub bass depth, texture, speed , and combine with mid bass punch on Z1R beat Solaris any day. The trebles details and extension on Z1R is bonus too, and that wide soundstage too (Solaris also have wide soundstage IIRC) but depth and imaging i think better with Z1R.
Again, these all from memories so take with grain of salt.

Jun 14, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #12,158 of 15,280
IMG00234_HDR.jpg
IMG00236_HDR.jpg

Probably some of you guys are already doing this for years but it's very nice to be given functional carry case alongside an expensive full size.
I mean isn't this just the perfect carry on luggage for any trip? Best sound anywhere I go.
Also the leather case from the Sony is so snug inside, neither the headset not the can will get damaged as it's smooth on all sides.

Jun 14, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #12,159 of 15,280
IMG00234_HDR.jpgIMG00236_HDR.jpg
Probably some of you guys are already doing this for years but it's very nice to be given functional carry case alongside an expensive full size.
I mean isn't this just the perfect carry on luggage for any trip? Best sound anywhere I go.
Also the leather case from the Sony is so snug inside, neither the headset not the can will get damaged as it's smooth on all sides.
What is next? Using the IER-Z1R at home?

Stop this anarchy!

Jun 15, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #12,160 of 15,280

is this a custom bag? where can i get it? i need such a thing where 1-2 daps + mdr-z1r + ier-z1r + cables fit it.

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #12,161 of 15,280
Ah well, it's Audio Technica ADX5000's included carry case, it's quite substantial and have such a soft foam inside. Roomy too, thus why I can put my DAP and IEM case inside.

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #12,162 of 15,280
IMG00245_HDR.jpg

Size comparison. Been having people asking what it is as it does look expensive, might not be a good idea on crowded places, but always have em within my reach.

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #12,163 of 15,280
IMG00245_HDR.jpg
Size comparison. Been having people asking what it is as it does look expensive, might not be a good idea on crowded places, but always have em within my reach.
Good grief! What a beautiful collection!

I hope you have your life savings within reach though haha

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #12,164 of 15,280
Most of the time I keep them in their box, my daily is still my trusty T1.
Probably should invest in a drybox in the future.
I belive in DMS' mantra, keep your collection close and rotate between them, that's the only cure to upgraditis.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #12,165 of 15,280
I agree that Z1R is a not very comfortable pair. When I first tried them, I started having discomfort and pain within an hour. However, according to my previous experience, frequent exposure to pain decreases it's sensitivity. Lately, I've been wearing Z1Rs for multiple hours despite the pain, and I think they started bothering me less. I see this process as using my body's adaptability to my benefit. Has anyone else considered doing this instead having to use a more comfortable pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back