SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #8,386 of 15,275
Don't mean to be off-topic, but does anyone know of a US based website that sells the IER-Z1R that is in stock right now? I was saving up to get these from Moon Audio as they just recently (about 2-3 weeks ago) got them back in stock and today I just saw that they are out of stock once again.
There's a crazy deal in the selling forum right now.

It's made of this "InstaMorph" plastic and is fairly easy to use/mold:

https://www.amazon.com/InstaMorph-Moldable-Plastic-6-oz/dp/B004MFLU4Y?ref_=ast_sto_dp
is it hard (the texture)? I saw on Amazon that it can used to mold a hook. Wouldn't something soft do a better job?

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #8,388 of 15,275
Yes - I think a soft texture could be better but to be honest the hard plastic fits so well/comfortable so far that I hadn't thought about that. Maybe will look into it for the next project. :D
Thank you for sharing. It's a neat and cheap way to mod :)
BTW, from your picture, shall I assume those are the Xelastec tips with some kind of foam inside?
How do they sit on your ear? Do they protrude out much? (I'd to see some pictures if you're willing/have the time)

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #8,389 of 15,275
Don't mean to be off-topic, but does anyone know of a US based website that sells the IER-Z1R that is in stock right now? I was saving up to get these from Moon Audio as they just recently (about 2-3 weeks ago) got them back in stock and today I just saw that they are out of stock once again.
The IER-Z1R is a weird one when it comes to stock. Demand is still high on them and production is still hurting on Sony's end. We have orders with Sony for more stock for months and they can only shoot us out like 2-3 at a time! Which I always end up selling out of nearly the same week I get them.

Aug 7, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #8,390 of 15,275
The IER-Z1R is a weird one when it comes to stock. Demand is still high on them and production is still hurting on Sony's end. We have orders with Sony for more stock for months and they can only shoot us out like 2-3 at a time! Which I always end up selling out of nearly the same week I get them.

Can I ask how frequently they are sending out 2/3 at a time? I have an order currently outstanding on amazon uk... they had 2 in last week but they soon went.

Aug 7, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #8,391 of 15,275
Thank you for sharing. It's a neat and cheap way to mod :)
BTW, from your picture, shall I assume those are the Xelastec tips with some kind of foam inside?
How do they sit on your ear? Do they protrude out much? (I'd to see some pictures if you're willing/have the time)

I do have the xelastecs with foam inside but have since settled on my favorite sound as coming from the stock hybrid with an insert to widen and deepen the bore a bit. This brought out the higher frequencies nicely for me. You can see the pieces on the right in the photo below. I've also attached an image of how it fits in my small-ish ears.

tips.jpg

Attachments

• fit.jpg
    fit.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 7, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #8,392 of 15,275
Can I ask how frequently they are sending out 2/3 at a time? I have an order currently outstanding on amazon uk... they had 2 in last week but they soon went.
Checking my shipment from Sony... Got 1 shipped out late May, then skip forward to early July had 3 go out to me. If you are trying to look for consistency in Sony shipping patterns, good luck since I have been trying to figure that out for over 3 years!

IIRC earlier this year, I hadn't gotten any in months and then boom one day 4 shipped in April.

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #8,393 of 15,275
Checking my shipment from Sony... Got 1 shipped out late May, then skip forward to early July had 3 go out to me. If you are trying to look for consistency in Sony shipping patterns, good luck since I have been trying to figure that out for over 3 years!

IIRC earlier this year, I hadn't gotten any in months and then boom one day 4 shipped in April.

Well this doesn’t look very promising haha I’m going to be holding my breath for a while by the looks of things! Thanks for divulging.

Aug 7, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #8,394 of 15,275
Well this doesn’t look very promising haha I’m going to be holding my breath for a while by the looks of things! Thanks for divulging.
Another factor likely delaying it, BA production is down for like everyone atm. Speaking to a few guys from other manufacturers and dealers. The ier-m9 is months backed up, some manufacturers can't get any of their BA to keep up with their orders.

Best to just keep the order in and whenever it's in, it's in! Worst time for me was at the launch last year and I had a few guys who had to wait 2 months to get theirs.

Aug 7, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #8,395 of 15,275
Adding to your girth!

For those who find the largest stock tips still not big enough, it might be worth a shot to try this mod with "thread protectors" from Ace hardware. Inserting a red or orange one (cut to your desired depth) inside your tip will make it fit a little tighter and might provide a better seal. Again, your mileage will vary as it's personal to your ear's anatomy but nevertheless a cheap mod to try as they're under 40 cents a pair and could make the stock tips usable.

tipshafts.jpg

protectors.png

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #8,396 of 15,275
wopp, Xelastec seem to make Z1r glorious. Sound and fit are fantastic, however it seems like MS is still quite slightly big for me. The tips do suck out humidity from my ears cause severe dryness of my ear.
I should go for Small size and I can safely call it heaven

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #8,398 of 15,275
I do have the xelastecs with foam inside but have since settled on my favorite sound as coming from the stock hybrid with an insert to widen and deepen the bore a bit. This brought out the higher frequencies nicely for me. You can see the pieces on the right in the photo below. I've also attached an image of how it fits in my small-ish ears.

That's a neat collection. I put all mine in a plastic jewelry box with compartments.
For the tips, it's still a roller coaster for me. I jump from stock hybrid to TC to xelastec and back to hybrid (tested all the size). None of them gave me pain-free experiment. But for whatever reason (maybe the way I inserted it differently), this morning, it feels quite right with hybrid SS on both (weird because my ears have different size). I just hope it stay that way 3 hours from now.
I loved the xelastec at first, but I think my ears do not like longer stem tips and I feel like they're being pushed outward after an hour or so, which cause pain to my outer ear. Xelastec also made my ears drier a bit.
Anyways, still playing around with all the tips I have.

Aug 8, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #8,399 of 15,275
That's a neat collection. I put all mine in a plastic jewelry box with compartments.
For the tips, it's still a roller coaster for me. I jump from stock hybrid to TC to xelastec and back to hybrid (tested all the size). None of them gave me pain-free experiment. But for whatever reason (maybe the way I inserted it differently), this morning, it feels quite right with hybrid SS on both (weird because my ears have different size). I just hope it stay that way 3 hours from now.
I loved the xelastec at first, but I think my ears do not like longer stem tips and I feel like they're being pushed outward after an hour or so, which cause pain to my outer ear. Xelastec also made my ears drier a bit.
Anyways, still playing around with all the tips I have.

I went down a bit of a rabbit hole once I learned how important tips were in terms of getting to a desired sound. Fortunately, a lot of experimentation and some MacGyvering with a variety of tips eventually yielded good results where I can listen in comfort all day long to a sound that feels very close to end-game for me. It's just sort of ironic that I ended up with the stock tips as being the best for me.

Good luck with your search for a good fit. These IEMs are well worth it!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #8,400 of 15,275
Anyone have a recommendation for a good, powerful desktop amp/dac combo with 4.4 out for our iems? Something besides the Sony TA and preferably below or slightly above $500USD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back