SONY IER-Z1R
Nov 30, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #647 of 15,280
I have the solaris maybe around 5th or 6th on my list of things to buy. Their track history with me including possibly having possible hearing damage of the Vega pumping out too much SPL without enough venting in my right ear. Occasionally I have ringing in my right ear and that started with my ownership of the Vega. The bass pushes too much air and it doesn't have enough venting. And I was playing it at a higher volume, but not cranked up all the way either. If I ever get a bass heavy IEM that pushes a lot of air, I'll have to do the tip hack where you put a piece of string in between the tip and the nozzle and cut it off to reduce the air pounding on my ear drums.
That sucks. The vega is dangerous, damn near blew out my ear drums with it.
The volume was not even loud, heard a ringing for a week, thankfully it went away, and I had no lasting damage.
I would be careful with the Z1R too. Too much bass on an already injured ear drum is asking for trouble.

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #648 of 15,280
That sucks. The vega is dangerous, damn near blew out my ear drums with it.
The volume was not even loud, heard a ringing for a week, thankfully it went away, and I had no lasting damage.
I would be careful with the Z1R too. Too much bass on an already injured ear drum is asking for trouble.

Well, I had the Vega for a year and a half and my hearing is fine... it's not the IEM it's the crazy volume levels guys... the Vega kicks hard, not need to push the volume! And it has a small vent by the way...

What does "not even loud" means ? You must be listening much higher than I do... I have sensitive ears, granted I usually listen like 25% less volume than most at meetups

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #649 of 15,280
Well, I had the Vega for a year and a half and my hearing is fine... it's not the IEM it's the crazy volume levels guys... the Vega kicks hard, not need to push the volume! And it has a small vent by the way...

What does "not even loud" means ? You must be listening much higher than I do... I have sensitive ears, granted I usually listen like 25% less volume than most at meetups
My listening level is lower than most people.
And I was listening at the level I usually listen at with all my other iems.
The vega generates way too much pressure in the ear canal, more than any other iem i have ever tried.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #651 of 15,280
Amazon says 21 december right now

We don't have the same Amazon then... both .com and .de tell me the same "Temporarily out of stock" which was displayed right after the initial date still promised the day before...

8R9cjbaPg5WugALJKsbdA21xfI1aKn.png

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #652 of 15,280
I wouldn't put any faith into that "OOS" message. For those that ordered, including me... I'll believe that it ships, when I get a notice in the next 48hrs. Otherwise, I would assume this is pushed back.

Dec 1, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #654 of 15,280
Ok I stand corrected amazon.de changed its page...

XJ2k03xWG8aJFIqaqLVWJAPlBpAqeW.png

I guess they're not 100% sure of when it will actually be in stock...

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #655 of 15,280

The vent is inadequate for the amount of air it pushes. I do tend to play music at higher volumes as my old man ears require more volume these days to hear things. I haven't had any problems with any sonys that I've owned so the Z1R is still something I may purchase. I do not want to buy blindly so I'll wait for the first and maybe second wave of production reviews to report back on it's sound signature, pluses and minuses, and fit. I ordered the A12t recently and I'd like to pick up a hybrid IEM that will be paired with the Hugo TT2 (Christmas gift from my girlfriend) and I think the Sony will likely scale best with desktop power and the Solaris will likely fair the worst as it seems much better suited for DAPs. I hope there's people here that listen to speed metal that will reviewing it upon release that will report if it can keep it. Most hybrids tend to suffer with speed and the bass tends to sound congested. I like the natural sound of DD, but hate how many sound sloppy or are too V shaped.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #656 of 15,280
I just tried the z1r today and I must say that I’m disappointed.

I was comparing it to the new noble Khan and quite frankly the Khan takes it in most ways.

The Sony is very Wide, wider than the Khan, but it lacks the depth and height of the Khan. The Khan is also immediately and significantly more transparent, precise and resolving than the Sony.

Given how closely they are priced, anyone looking for a TOTL IEM has got to try the Khan when it’s out.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #657 of 15,280
Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #658 of 15,280
Ok I stand corrected amazon.de changed its page...

XJ2k03xWG8aJFIqaqLVWJAPlBpAqeW.png

I guess they're not 100% sure of when it will actually be in stock...

yup, in the US.. Even though my order says deliver tomorrow @ 8pm. It still has not shipped. Not betting on getting it now.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #659 of 15,280
I just tried the z1r today and I must say that I’m disappointed.

I was comparing it to the new noble Khan and quite frankly the Khan takes it in most ways.

The Sony is very Wide, wider than the Khan, but it lacks the depth and height of the Khan. The Khan is also immediately and significantly more transparent, precise and resolving than the Sony.

Given how closely they are priced, anyone looking for a TOTL IEM has got to try the Khan when it’s out.

Isn't the Khan a bit bass light for a hybrid? And what source was used when you heard the Z1R?

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #660 of 15,280
Isn't the Khan a bit bass light for a hybrid? And what source was used when you heard the Z1R?
I didn’t think the IER-Z1R had a model with the final tuning out in the wild?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back