SONY IER-Z1R
May 22, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #2,851 of 15,280
...If everything is so enjoyable why buy both Sony daps for $4000-5000?

Knowing this community, I would say there will be folks very adamant about the 1Z or 1A being better and only ONE DAP as preference for the IER-Z1R

One is $3000 and the other one is $1000. I'd find them weird if they weren't adamant.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #2,852 of 15,280
...If everything is so enjoyable why buy both Sony daps for $4000-5000?

They were designed to be complementary; meaning you have a bigger experience owning both; they don’t over-lap. I don’t think the 1Z is a deal unless you really focus on that 10-20% difference it brings? But strangely if you only listen to the 1A for a week then switch to the 1Z.....it’s like “OH” yes....that’s right.....this is my favorite.

With that said, I look at the 1A as a deal...IMO....even now 3 years later from release. I purchased mine in 2018.

The two players are different from each other but it’s not measurable?
It’s not quantifiable, like how much better is an apple to an orange? It’s a difference that is no small thing.......as big a difference as ever after ownership of the two.

My story is I purchased the 1Z first and liked the sound so much I thought about getting the 1A to take out of the house. Then I liked the sound of the 1A so much, I never left the house with it. Also 3.01 firmware takes both players to a better level than before. But the 1A is a deal to me. Don’t want to sound snobby.......but I can’t figure out why people like the sound of some of the DAP choices out there? Maybe I’m too used to the Sony sound, but they sound wrong?

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #2,853 of 15,280
So why not split the price in half? Lol. Are price values a taboo subject? For $3000 I'd be pretty pissed to read something like this. Kind of like a perverse PolyMojo with Sony people laughing on the way to the bank. How exactly is the DMP-1Z a dap? It's at best transportable?

May 22, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #2,854 of 15,280
So why not split the price in half? Lol. Are price values a taboo subject? For $3000 I'd be pretty pissed to read something like this. Kind of like a perverse PolyMojo with Sony people laughing on the way to the bank. How exactly is the DMP-1Z a dap? It's at best transportable?

I look at it like Sony getting a return in their R&D with the 1Z and letting trickledown technology get placed into the 1A. Remember there are members who switched to the 1A after owning the 1Z. Many have owned both and sold one. That’s the thing is Sony is offering choice. It’s up to the consumer to educate themselves. Also not everyone is after spending the extra money to get that small difference the 1Z brings. The 1A is maybe better with the IER-Z1R, but everything else I own is better with the 1Z.

May 22, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #2,855 of 15,280

To grasp the DMP-1Z it’s maybe best to visit Japan. It’s a different culture and I’m positive they made it for themselves. Due to long work hours, and being there is nothing like it in the world, it has an application and offered innovation which the Japanese are fond of.

May 22, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #2,856 of 15,280
How is the consumer supposed to educate him or herself that a $1000 dap by the same company may be preferable to its $3000 dap, with its own signature iems no less!? Wade into a thread on Head-Fi with hundreds of pages and conflicting opinions? I read the information manufacturers provide, it may as well be zippy. Lol, blame the consumer! Fascinating. Most reviews, even customer reviews, don't lead consumers very well either. It's mostly hype.

To grasp the DMP-1Z it’s maybe best to visit Japan. It’s a different culture and I’m positive they made that for themselves. Due to long work hours, and being there is nothing like it in the world, it has an application and offered innovation which the Japanese are fond of.

I suppose that makes some sense. So it has a screen and contains music like the WM1s? What's it do better than the WM1Z?

May 22, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #2,860 of 15,280
A quick 30 minutes impression of the Z1R: too much bass?

I've only listened to a few songs so far - some Yes, some Philip Glass, then an odd track that I find good for gauging bass - "Slow Down the Bass". For 'phones with a good balance, you hear the sub-bass clearly delivered while still hearing the drums above it, but when the bass gets bloated, the drums near disappear with the driver unable to keep up with the demand, which exactly happened with the Z1R. The Solaris keep a better balance, though even losing some of the drums. The best I've personally heard with this track is the Elear (especially with the Elex pads), though some other IEMs do an admirable job.

Obviously, one track doesn't make or break an IEM, but can highlight some limitations. In generally though, my initial impression is the Z1R are not in a different class that the Solaris, Andromeda, Xelento, or EX1000 - just a different balance.

Comfort and fit aren't too bad yet. But damn, the case is better suited for jewelry than IEMs.

P.S. Regarding power, I'm driving them with the Q5 with the AM3A module (using the unbalanced output). The Z1R requires the volume knob to be around 10-11 o'clock while the Solaris is around 9 o'clock for a similar level - certainly not a huge different, with plenty of headroom left.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #2,861 of 15,280
stereo.com.sg

Very fast free shipping, $1730 price if you create an account, apparently right now you get a free Nano Black Label too. Highly recommended. Multiple of us bought from there.

PS

Alejandro by Lady Gaga, her voice doesn't sound present.
And you can ask them to make a fake invoice for let's say 500€? When placing order

May 22, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #2,862 of 15,280
How is the consumer supposed to educate him or herself that a $1000 dap by the same company may be preferable to its $3000 dap, with its own signature iems no less!? Wade into a thread on Head-Fi with hundreds of pages and conflicting opinions? I read the information manufacturers provide, it may as well be zippy. Lol, blame the consumer! Fascinating. Most reviews, even customer reviews, don't lead consumers very well either. It's mostly hype.

I suppose that makes some sense. So it has a screen and contains music like the WM1s? What's it do better than the WM1Z?

It’s fairly simple and the two signatures were introduced by Sony upon the unveiling in 2016. One the 1A; a more audiophile reference sound, and the other a traditional “Hi/Fi” sound. That is exactly what they are.

Of course no-one know subjectivity what is best for themselves.......you yourself being the perfect example of that conundrum. The “hype” you speak of is also embedded in the subjectivity your not seemingly aware of.

The quality of the 1Z is real, that’s one reason it’s all you see on tables at shows; and of course battery life. How much is that quality personality worth; it’s anyone’s guess. For a few it’s worth it.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #2,863 of 15,280
an odd track that I find good for gauging bass - "Slow Down the Bass". For 'phones with a good balance, you hear the sub-bass clearly delivered while still hearing the drums above it, but when the bass gets bloated, the drums near disappear with the driver unable to keep up with the demand, which exactly happened with the Z1R.

One, this is the most obnoxious "song" I've ever heard. What drums are you referring to above the sub-bass? To clarify, the sub-bass is the awful thing constantly raping your ears and drums are supposed to be literally above it?

Please dislike this asap, btw. Past that, if you're referring to the drums starting at like 1:00 I can hear those clearly. But in general I don't hear drums having a lot of presence. When they are there I think I hear them though, I just don't know if there are supposed to be more? I hear some before and after, just uncertain whether that's all I'm supposed to be hearing.

And you can ask them to make a fake invoice for let's say 500€? When placing order

I didn't ask for anything and I think the declared value may have been $50-100. But if I were in your position I'll most certainly ask them what they do. My experience with their customer service was very good.

It’s fairly simple and the two signatures were introduced by Sony upon the unveiling in 2016. One the 1A; a more audiophile reference sound, and the other a traditional “Hi/Fi” sound. That is exactly what they are.

Of course no-one know subjectivity what is best for themselves.......you yourself being the perfect example of that conundrum. The “hype” you speak of is also embedded in the subjectivity your not seemingly aware of.

$3000 > $1000 is one of the least subjective things in life, and there is no argument

May 22, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #2,864 of 15,280
One, this is the most obnoxious "song" I've ever heard. What drums are you referring to above the sub-bass? To clarify, the sub-bass is the awful thing constantly raping your ears and drums are supposed to be literally above it?

Please dislike this asap, btw. Past that, if you're referring to the drums starting at like 1:00 I can hear those clearly. But in general I don't hear drums having a lot of presence. When they are there I think I hear them though, I just don't know if there are supposed to be more? I hear some before and after, just uncertain whether that's all I'm supposed to be hearing.

I didn't ask for anything and I think the declared value may have been $50-100. But if I were in your position I'll most certainly ask them what they do. My experience with their customer service was very good.

$3000 > $1000 is one of the least subjective things in life, and there is no argument

Value is always subjective.

Ask someone with something they like........and they will tell you, I like it no matter what the cost is.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #2,865 of 15,280

Try defending your own IER-Z1R purchase to folks not into IEMs.........and they will inform you of your own subjective value system.

Your purchases to them seem just as wild as a $3000 DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back