Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Nov 15, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #3,016 of 3,204
MudEnjoyer: How does it come that IER-M9 is your #1 IEM if you have IER-Z1R as well? :scream:
Well, despite owning the Z1R, U12T, a JH flagship and having a chance listen to the VE Phoenix, the M9 is currently my #1 IEM :gs1000smile:.

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #3,017 of 3,204
Well, despite owning the Z1R, U12T, a JH flagship and having a chance listen to the VE Phoenix, the M9 is currently my #1 IEM :gs1000smile:.

I also kept my M9 and sold on my Z1R but that was mostly down to fit issues. Both excellent but different. For fun/wow the Z1R, for exquisite balance the M9. I use my Fiio FD7 now as my Dynamic IEM and very pleased with that but not in same league as Z1R Hybrid DD (but as you would expect for massive cost difference!)

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #3,018 of 3,204
M9 = great balanced warm monitor style with great precise imaging
Z1R = fun tuning endgame with unbeatable bass quality experience

They are very different IEMs in tuning and purpose, I think both are completing each other. I have to sold M9 before since I have M7 also and due funding last time but kinda miss the M9 recently

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #3,019 of 3,204
Need money more than lots of IEM's at moment so if anyone after some M9 in UK I have mine up for sale on another site. Can PM link if anyone interested. 👍

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #3,020 of 3,204
COMPLY has a new naming scheme which is important to know for those who are currently using it with the IER-M9.
  • T-Series
    • No longer exists
  • TX-Series (T-Series with TechGuard)
    • Renamed to TZ-Series, nothing changed
  • TS-Series
    • No longer exists
  • TSX-Series (TS-Series with TechGuard)
    • Got replaced by a new product called TRZ-Series that is marketed as the Version with the highest sound quality and the least risk of falling/creeping out. Providing better fit/comfort/isolation than the previous TSX-Series.
    • They say higher isolation here, but as there is less material than on the TZ, i assume higher than the product they replace, not the highest. I assume you still have the highest isolation with the TZ-Series (not tested yet).
  • TOZ-Series
    • New product. Basically the TSX-Series but with an oval shape. Supposed to provide better fit/comfort, especially for long listening sessions (as most ears are oval shaped, not round) but you have an higher risk of falling/creeping out and it might be hard to fit with some earphones as they are not round (duh) and so need to be in perfect position
So there are only 3-Series now for the IER-M9 (and basically all other High-End Earphone)
  • TZ (Traditional)
    • 1700930379727.png
  • TRZ (Rounded/shorter for higher sound quality)
    • 1700930396234.png
  • TOZ (Same as TRZ but oval instead of round)
    • 1700930409544.png

As you might have noticed, TechGuard is no longer a feature, it is mandatory and of course, this comes with the price increase the products previously had with the TechGuard.

You need the Size 200 for the IER-M9 which is available for all 3 of them (no surprise here)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #3,021 of 3,204
COMPLY has a new naming scheme which is important to know for those who are currently using it with the IER-M9.
  • T-Series
    • No longer exists
  • TS-Series
    • No longer exists
    • Got replaced by a new product called TRZ-Series that is marketed as the Version with the highest sound quality and the least risk of falling/creeping out. Providing better fit/comfort/isolation than the previous TSX-Series.
    • They say higher isolation here, but as there is less material than on the TZ, i assume higher than the product they replace, not the highest. I assume you still have the highest isolation with the TZ-Series (not tested yet).
  • TOZ-Series
    • New product. Basically the TSX-Series but with an oval shape. Supposed to provide better fit/comfort, especially for long listening sessions (as most ears are oval shaped, not round) but you have an higher risk of falling/creeping out and it might be hard to fit with some earphones as they are not round (duh) and so need to be in perfect position
So there are only 3-Series now for the IER-M9 (and basically all other High-End Earphone)
  • TZ (Traditional)
    • 1700930379727.png
    • 1700930396234.png
    • 1700930409544.png

As you might have noticed, TechGuard is no longer a feature, it is mandatory and of course, this comes with the price increase the products previously had with the TechGuard.

You need the Size 200 for the IER-M9 which is available for all 3 of them (no surprise here)

Excellent post my friend. Thanks for putting in the work.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #3,022 of 3,204
  • T-Series
    • No longer exists
  • TS-Series
    • No longer exists
  • TOZ-Series
  • TZ (Traditional)
    • 1700930379727.png
    • 1700930396234.png
    • 1700930409544.png

I’m really liking the round ones.

IMG_0495.jpeg

Dec 5, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #3,024 of 3,204
How is the fit/comfort/isolation different to the previous TS(X)?
I haven't tried the old comfort ones, so comfort wise I wouldn't know.

But I have some TX around, and compared to these, they have improved the wax guard in the sense that it looks to be of better quality and doesn't seem to affect sound that much anymore. So I don't think it's a big deal that you're forced to get it.

The new tips also seem to preserve that coating like texture for longer, but I am only judging from memory.

I prefer the TRZ to the TZ, as I happily trade isolation for more comfort. The only issue is that you need to be careful with the insertion depth, as it is too easy to insert them deeper, and not all IEMs benefit from this (like the M9). You might need one size larger than usual. I also have some pairs of TOZ ones which I will try when these two break.

Now that the EP-NI1000 got 2x more expensive in the recent weeks, I think I will stick to these. They do not sound as sparkly and fun (the Sony ones do really sound like your usual wide bore silicone tip), but provide a more accurate sound.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #3,025 of 3,204
I haven't tried the old comfort ones, so comfort wise I wouldn't know.

But I have some TX around, and compared to these, they have improved the wax guard in the sense that it looks to be of better quality and doesn't seem to affect sound that much anymore. So I don't think it's a big deal that you're forced to get it.

The new tips also seem to preserve that coating like texture for longer, but I am only judging from memory.

I prefer the TRZ to the TZ, as I happily trade isolation for more comfort. The only issue is that you need to be careful with the insertion depth, as it is too easy to insert them deeper, and not all IEMs benefit from this (like the M9). You might need one size larger than usual. I also have some pairs of TOZ ones which I will try when these two break.

Now that the EP-NI1000 got 2x more expensive in the recent weeks, I think I will stick to these. They do not sound as sparkly and fun (the Sony ones do really sound like your usual wide bore silicone tip), but provide a more accurate sound.
Thank you for your impressions! Did you notice an significant difference in sound between the TZ and TRZ?

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #3,026 of 3,204
Thank you for your impressions! Did you notice an significant difference in sound between the TZ and TRZ?
The TRZ sound better, and I believe it is simply due to having less material around the tip, meaning that it won’t bend on itself muting the sound or killing the treble extension. This is a very old issue with a lot of foam tips which is usually fixed by peeling it back a bit before insertion, but this halves the tip durability in my experience.

Dec 29, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #3,028 of 3,204
Hello all,

I've owned my M9's since Oct. 2022 and am quite happy with them, save for a few minor issues.

First is the paint is chipping in a couple of locations. Pretty minor as it doesn't affect sound quality, but for a set that's 14 months old I wouldn't expect this. They do see very heavy usage and have been dropped a couple of times, but I never noticed any damage or change in sound quality. The paint chipping appears to be unrelated to the drops as it wasn't present when I examined them. I would estimate I wear them for about 12hrs per day, part of that being that I sleep wearing them. I have tinnitus that often won't let me sleep or concentrate on tasks, so I wear them with music or ambient noise playing to help overcome that. Any thoughts on re-painting, and if so, what kind of paint is suggested?

Second is also pretty minor - the little rubber plug that carries the L or R markings has come out of my left earbud. I still have it and would like to re-glue it back into the earbud. When I took a close look at the hole it goes in, it appears there's some sort of sponge or other soft/pliable material in the bottom of the hole. It appears to be breaking down a little as you can see small particles coming off it. I'm also wondering if it might be that the rubber plug itself broke apart and left part inside the shell body.

I'm fine glueing it back in, but I'm not sure if that hole is meant to be sealed. Its a fairly snug fit so I doubt it needs to allow for air movement from inside the IEM body, but I'd like to be sure. I would hate for it to change sound quality if it's completely sealed when I re-glue it. I've looked and found some exploded views of the M9 assembly, but nothing showing that hole for the L/R markers. Thoughts or suggestions?

Sorry, my picture taking skills aren't great. TIA!

IER-M9-LeftEarbudMarker.jpg

Dec 29, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #3,029 of 3,204
I had not realised that they are rubber plugs. Seem to be just printed on my set. Will take closer look later.

Dec 29, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #3,030 of 3,204
I had not realised that they are rubber plugs. Seem to be just printed on my set. Will take closer look later.
I thought so as well. I was quite lucky to find the rubber plug - I noticed the hole on the left earbud and found the plug on my bed. Again, sorry for my poor camera skills but this is what it looks like:
IER-M9-labelplug1.jpg
IER-M9-labelplug2.jpg

TIA!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back