Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jan 3, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #3,046 of 3,178
Jan 6, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #3,048 of 3,178
After some testing, i decided to tune the TZ myself instead of using the TRZ.

imho, this provides the best possible result in Sound Quality, but the isolation goes down the drain. So its not really for outside use, but the sound quality is just as perfect as it gets.

I just cut everything down to the inner tube

1704201704130.png
1704201715928.png
Took me only a few seconds to do so this is my personal recommendation. I use the TZ outside the house and the "tuned" Version inside and i am perfectly happy that way

I tested them on my plane flight yesturday,. but the isolation is not good enough to enjoy the music outside, at least for me.
Have you tried the Azla SednaEarfit Short? You might like it.

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #3,050 of 3,178
It just hit me that even though I love the cable that comes with the M9.. I hate the ear hooks. Has anyone here swapped out their cable with something different? I fear that the recessed MMCX port might give me issues trying to find a good cable that fits without issue.

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #3,051 of 3,178
Some users have used the stock cable supplied with IER-Z1R as it is deemed better than the stock cable of IER-M9. Then you would definitely have no troubles with the MMCX connectors. However I do not know if the type of ear hooks is not the same as with IER-M9.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #3,052 of 3,178
It just hit me that even though I love the cable that comes with the M9.. I hate the ear hooks. Has anyone here swapped out their cable with something different? I fear that the recessed MMCX port might give me issues trying to find a good cable that fits without issue.

I've been having the M9 for many years now, and on both 3.5 mm and 4.4 mm stock cables, the rubber parts seem to have "melted"? They turned very sticky and greasy, but I live in a humid area, not sure if that caused it.

I'm currently using an aftermarket 4.4 mm MMCX cable from Nobunaga Labs, and it fits well.

Jan 10, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #3,053 of 3,178
Based on my own experience with other surface-rubberised products I would say that hand cremes etc. containing fat/oil are to be blamed.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #3,054 of 3,178
I've been having the M9 for many years now, and on both 3.5 mm and 4.4 mm stock cables, the rubber parts seem to have "melted"? They turned very sticky and greasy, but I live in a humid area, not sure if that caused it.
Happens to all M9/M7 users, sooner or later. Something about the materials used i guess, and the reaction with the skin/sweat etc

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #3,055 of 3,178
I use the M7 outside and the M9 inside, and can confirm that sweat and environmental heat and humidity play a big factor.

Jan 10, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #3,056 of 3,178

I'm currently using an aftermarket 4.4 mm MMCX cable from Nobunaga Labs, and it fits well.
I use the kimber kable MUC-M12SB1

Jan 10, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #3,057 of 3,178
The ear hooks would eventually degrade, likely due to humidity. I have been storing my M9 in a dry box, and so far, they have remained in pristine condition. If you prefer not to replace the cables, you could consider cutting the ear hooks, similar to what this headfier did with his Z1R.

I removed the ear hook/tubes from my old cable where they went sticky and loose like others have done. Then ordered some Final silicone ear hooks that came today, I like having a bit of a hook rather than just loose wire.
They fit and work really well, I much prefer them to the original ear hooks.
IMG_20200610_132035.jpg
If you are concerned about damaging the cable while cutting it, there are numerous cables available that fit the sockets of the IER series. It is not difficult to find a suitable replacement.

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #3,058 of 3,178
I am using the FiiO LC-4.4D since the coating on my stock cable gave up and it works perfect.

But you should be able to use pretty much all MMCX Cable. The ones from Final work perfectly fine too. As long you don't buy some exotic snake oil cable, you should be fine

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #3,059 of 3,178
Have you tried the Azla SednaEarfit Short? You might like it.
I did, but the isolation was bad and especially while walking, the thumbing of my feet on the ground was louder than the music. Also i got ear pressure issues on the right ear over time.

I am now using the COMPLY TZ-200 in normal orientation outside and reversed when i'm inside and thats an perfect solution

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #3,060 of 3,178
A remedy for the sticky cable that worked for was using a bicarb soda paste with a bit of water. give it a good rub on the earhooks and rinse off. might need to do a few times and be careful not to lather it on too much or you will end up with some white specs in the crevices.

what is it about the earhooks that you dislike? the shape? they don't bend very agressively so can protrude forward before they wrap around the ear. This shouldn't have any practical impact unless you find the m9 doesn't seat securely. You can do the hair dryer method to reshape earhooks and the M9 cable does bend quite as easily but does respond a bit.

otherwise the GUgraftsman cable fits really well and has a nice unique braid. While it is softer than nearly all my other cables, nothing touches the Sony original cable for killing microphonics and lightness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back