Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jan 11, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #3,061 of 3,174
A remedy for the sticky cable that worked for was using a bicarb soda paste with a bit of water. give it a good rub on the earhooks and rinse off. might need to do a few times and be careful not to lather it on too much or you will end up with some white specs in the crevices.

what is it about the earhooks that you dislike? the shape? they don't bend very agressively so can protrude forward before they wrap around the ear. This shouldn't have any practical impact unless you find the m9 doesn't seat securely. You can do the hair dryer method to reshape earhooks and the M9 cable does bend quite as easily but does respond a bit.

otherwise the GUgraftsman cable fits really well and has a nice unique braid. While it is softer than nearly all my other cables, nothing touches the Sony original cable for killing microphonics and lightness.
They don't do anything. They don't really hook the ear, they protrude very far forward, the slightest movement and they come unhooked from the ear.. I'm just constantly adjusting them to be normal.

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #3,062 of 3,174
They don't do anything. They don't really hook the ear, they protrude very far forward, the slightest movement and they come unhooked from the ear.. I'm just constantly adjusting them to be normal.
Aw that sucks

It’s the best stock cable I’ve owned personally, for my smaller ears it’s perfect. Hope you find a solution that works!

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #3,065 of 3,174
Thanks to MMCX you can adjust them to lean slightly against your head.

That they don't really hook the ear is intentionally to prevent body noises to be transferred into the IEM

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #3,066 of 3,174
Jan 17, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #3,068 of 3,174
Europe is an insanely hard market to begin with. According to Japanese companies, we are not willing to spent money on quality products. And that is actually not that wrong.

In my personal experience, Germans either buy the cheapest product that is available (because all that matters it that sound is coming out from it. With as much bass as possible but quality doesn't matter) or an luxury product that is the most expensive (no matter the quality, as you buy it to impress others and not to actually have the highest sound quality).

Recently also speaker sales are going down as people seriously think you can replace them with a sound bar. Even though soundbars with crappy quality often cost more than professional Studio Monitors, you can not impress anyone with studio monitors. But you can impress your visitors with how much money you are able to spend on an soundbar or smart surround system. And if you don't have the money for that, you use the integrated speakers in the television.

So High End Earphones are a very very hard market in Germany and Europe overall

1. They cost a lot, so everyone who doesn't want to spend money doesn't buy them
2. You can't impress your neighbors, so everyone who has money doesn't buy them

The leftover is an insanely small group of audiophiles and beyond them are a lot of young people whose only source of information is often Advertisement and/or YouTube (aka Advertisement). So they mostly buy stuff from china where even 20$ In-Ear are called flagships and has 10-times the drivers.

Europe is also a heavily car focused country and cars are insanely expensive. So after buying a car, most people just don't have any leftover money they could spend on high-end gear.

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #3,070 of 3,174
So High End Earphones are a very very hard market in Germany and Europe overall
I am sorry but I have to say that's BS :)

So you have the whole philosophy and explanation why...Ok, then, why is MDR Z1R still selling in Europe? And why all other high-end stuff are sold in Europe by the brand SONY...dude...that's just not the case. The general consensus why IER named Z1R is not selling in Europe is just not that.

Sony is not a five-man brand, so it wouldn't be profitable for them to send a small contingent of those to the EU.

It doesn't work like that...

There is a reason...but not as you described it. Moreover, we (Sony) have limited production and will send all to the US.

And that's about it.

Cheers! :wink:

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #3,071 of 3,174
Where? I didn't find any store selling IER-Z1R in Europe either, except Sony.de, but the price is 2.2k euros, while the price in the US is $1.8k, which is 1.65k euros.

That's a huge difference.

Cheers!
But people in the US don't get their salary in €

Yes, 1800$ are 1655€ right now, but it might be 3000€ in one week. You can not calculate and compare prices looking at currency exchange rates. They are changing daily and they are irrelevant for people living inside the country.

In Japan, the IER-Z1R costs 185764yen which are 1150 €. Thats an even bigger difference because right now, 1€ are 160yen

The MSRP of the IER-Z1R including Taxes are the following
2200$
220'000yen
2200€

The IER-Z1R is currently on sale in the US and in Japan, hence they are selling it for ~1800$ and ~180'000yen, the IER-Z1R is not on sale in germany and so sells for its MSRP of 2200€. But it was on sale several times. A friend of mine got his for 1600€

Unrelated to that, Amazon US can and does show you prices without taxes when you're looking at it outside from the US. The prices of amazon germany are including taxes.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #3,072 of 3,174
I am sorry but I have to say that's BS :)

So you have the whole philosophy and explanation why...Ok, then, why is MDR Z1R still selling in Europe? And why all other high-end stuff are sold in Europe by the brand SONY...dude...that's just not the case. The general consensus why IER named Z1R is not selling in Europe is just not that.

Sony is not a five-man brand, so it wouldn't be profitable for them to send a small contingent of those to the EU.

It doesn't work like that...

There is a reason...but not as you described it. Moreover, we (Sony) have limited production and will send all to the US.

And that's about it.

Cheers! :wink:
Because the new Walkman was released. The MDR-Z1R was out of stock, everywhere in europe, for almost 4 years. Its back in stock just recently after the release of the new Walkman.

The same is true for the IER-Z1R

The IER-M7, IER-M9 have never been released in europe and the XBA-N1, XBA-N3 and XBA-Z5 are also no longer sold in europe. The MDR-Z7M2 is also no longer sold in Europe.

So out of 9 models, Sony only sells 2 in Europe and they have been out of stock for years before the new Walkman got released.

NW-ZX700 also wasn't released in Europe by the way. WM1AM2 is out of stock since several months now and WM1ZM2 is in stock with one single item.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #3,073 of 3,174
Europe is an insanely hard market to begin with.
IInstead of that, your perspective...the other truth is...Sony is insanely hard to deal with.

You just wrote so much contradictive stuff...but that's not important,...what I asked was simple...does anyone know the store where you can buy M9?

Yes or no. Simple as that...I didn't ask for philosophy :wink:
Enjoy M9...I will look at ChiFi in the same quality range; they are easier to deal with.

Cheers!

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #3,074 of 3,174
If I were you, I would buy IER-M9 in Japan, e.g. at Amazon. Buying any Chi-Fi IEM is the same as burning money in the fireplace.

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #3,075 of 3,174
IInstead of that, your perspective...the other truth is...Sony is insanely hard to deal with.

You just wrote so much contradictive stuff...but that's not important,...what I asked was simple...does anyone know the store where you can buy M9?

Yes or no. Simple as that...I didn't ask for philosophy :wink:
Enjoy M9...I will look at ChiFi in the same quality range; they are easier to deal with.

Cheers!
I will sell you my m9's 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back