Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jul 10, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #2,688 of 3,204
Would it be accurate to say that the best sound for these comes with foam tips and not the silicon ones? I’d be interested in these IEMs but I’m not a big fan of foam tips since they are disposable.
I use Spinfit silicon and perfect happy with them

Jul 11, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #2,691 of 3,204
Would it be accurate to say that the best sound for these comes with foam tips and not the silicon ones? I’d be interested in these IEMs but I’m not a big fan of foam tips since they are disposable.
They are closed IEM, its impossible. Silicone doesn't let through air. Where is the air inside your ear supposed to go?

If you don't like foam, don't buy the IER-M9

Ear --> Closed
IEM --> Closed
Silicone--> Don't let through air

Not just that you push (or, depending on how you insert them, pull) the air that is trapped inside your ear, your ear is a, sounds stupid, living thing. When you drink, the temperature changes (of the air around you or inside your ear), you use your face muscles and so on, you slightly change the width and/or length of your ear canal and will create under or over pressure.

So even if you would be able to insert them pressure free (which is almost impossible, but can be done), you have to sit down with an absoklutely straight face and not move at all, don't drink, don't sweat and use an air conditioning and so on.

Or you just use foam and can enjoy them no matter what

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #2,692 of 3,204
They are closed IEM, its impossible. Silicone doesn't let through air. Where is the air inside your ear supposed to go?

If you don't like foam, don't buy the IER-M9

Make a little hole on the stem of silicone eartips, not the umbrella.
Just pinch a little hole with needle that will release air pressure without changing the sound

Jul 11, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #2,693 of 3,204
Make a little hole on the stem of silicone eartips, not the umbrella.
Just pinch a little hole with needle that will release air pressure without changing the sound
I tired that, but it never worked.

If the hole was too small, it just closed itself when inserting due to the squeezing of the eartip. If the hole was large enough to not close, it changed the sound.

Also the isolation was absolute garbage. I could not use them outside at all, especially not while walking. Not just was the isolation bad, every step made an insane loud hammering noise in my head aka resonance.

Jul 11, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #2,694 of 3,204
The vacuum will cause an occlusion effect that while doesn't affect tonality much, will nuke dynamics and cause rubbery one-note bass.
Mediocre dynamics is the #1 complain people have with M7 and M9. And I say it's a fair criticism given that Sony decided not to bundle foams with the IEMs.

Some users suggest pushing the silicone tips not too deep so that you don't get this vacuum effect, but this essentially means you're introducing leakage which all BA IEMs are specially sensitive to. And they'll eventually seal with movement anyway.

Using foams is no silver bullet either. You will over-smoothen the sound (it actually makes it sound more realistic, but I don't wanna go there now) and kill the treble extension. The foams that sound the most like silicone tips are the EP-NI1000, and they're also durable and cheaper in the long run if you take care of them. The sound very similar to the Triple Comfort ones, but with more impactful bass.

Poking a hole could be a good compromise but haven't tried it.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #2,696 of 3,204
Hi all.

I’ve had my Sony IER-M9 for a little over 2 years now, and I’ll have to say that I agree with most thoughts on this set: they’re the stellar unsung hero of the IEM game, at least, as far as the few I’ve heard (some Shures, older Senns, Dunu Titan 1 and VSonic Gr07). In fact, the M9 is the only pair of IEMs I currently own, and I’m thinking of getting an extra pair, just to future -proud myself (though I’m quite careful with my gear, in general).

However, I’m looking to get my first pair of CIEMs, and I was hoping that among you M9 aficionados who’ve been around the IEM block more times than I, would be able to recommend some options to start researching on?

I’d certainly like to keep the same warm-neutral tonality (makes for easy extended listening sessions), and similar or better (read “more refined”) technical capabilities, moreso around dynamics, resolution and stage. Doesn’t have to be enormously grandiose, a little wider and deeper than the M9’s stage would be good, and a bit more resolving and dynamic too .

On another unrelated topic, I tried the “All to DSD” feature on my Fiio M11 Plus Ltd the other day while listening to OutKast’s “Liberation,” and I must say I was pleasantly impressed with how much more dynamic it sounded, and the space it introduced around the harmonies of CeeLo’s verse, my vocal favorite part of the track overall! I could pretty much identify and pinpoint every single overdubbed voice individually. Usually, I hear that part of the track as a somewhat fuzzy vocal mesh. Upsampling sounded like a gimmick to me until just recently.

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #2,697 of 3,204
Hi all.

I’ve had my Sony IER-M9 for a little over 2 years now, and I’ll have to say that I agree with most thoughts on this set: they’re the stellar unsung hero of the IEM game, at least, as far as the few I’ve heard (some Shures, older Senns, Dunu Titan 1 and VSonic Gr07). In fact, the M9 is the only pair of IEMs I currently own, and I’m thinking of getting an extra pair, just to future -proud myself (though I’m quite careful with my gear, in general).

However, I’m looking to get my first pair of CIEMs, and I was hoping that among you M9 aficionados who’ve been around the IEM block more times than I, would be able to recommend some options to start researching on?

I’d certainly like to keep the same warm-neutral tonality (makes for easy extended listening sessions), and similar or better (read “more refined”) technical capabilities, moreso around dynamics, resolution and stage. Doesn’t have to be enormously grandiose, a little wider and deeper than the M9’s stage would be good, and a bit more resolving and dynamic too .

On another unrelated topic, I tried the “All to DSD” feature on my Fiio M11 Plus Ltd the other day while listening to OutKast’s “Liberation,” and I must say I was pleasantly impressed with how much more dynamic it sounded, and the space it introduced around the harmonies of CeeLo’s verse, my vocal favorite part of the track overall! I could pretty much identify and pinpoint every single overdubbed voice individually. Usually, I hear that part of the track as a somewhat fuzzy vocal mesh. Upsampling sounded like a gimmick to me until just recently.
64audio u12t (although not as warm as M9)

Orrr.. upgrade your source into TOTL DAP like M17 if you're coming from M11 plus and feel the best of the M9

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #2,698 of 3,204
64audio u12t (although not as warm as M9)

Orrr.. upgrade your source into TOTL DAP like M17 if you're coming from M11 plus and feel the best of the M9
Thanks for the suggestions @DynamicEars .

I do have the U12t on my list, as I’ve seen quite a few users discuss it in this thread. Hoping for other suggestions as well. I tend to buy blind, as I don’t know of a place around me to audition gear.

Also, I just acquired an iBasso DX320MAX, actually. I expect it to be a proper upgrade to the M11+!

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #2,699 of 3,204
Hi all.

You can consider 64Audio A6t or A12t, similar tuning as M9.

Jul 14, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #2,700 of 3,204
upgrade your source into TOTL DAP... and feel the best of the M9

I just acquired an iBasso DX320MAX, actually. I expect it to be a proper upgrade to the M11+!

Spent all last night awake and listening to Bad and Dangerous by Michael Jackson on Qobuz on the DX320MAX, and I must say, upgrading the source was definitely a good thing! Punchier and more defined kicks! A more spacious layout! A tad more sparkle, without a hint of fatigue!

Every time I go through the process of improving a portion of my signal chain, I am reminded that the whole is very much a sum of its parts working together as best they can, that synergy truly matters. This DAP has certainly breathed new life into my set.

Still doesn't solve the long-term comfort issue, however... I've never been able to make it past about 40 minutes at a time with the M9's in my ears before I need to take a break. Hence the main reason for me searching for customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back