Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jul 8, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #2,671 of 3,268
I got my M9's a friend :relaxed: Been putting off for ages due to having to buy blind off back of fit concerns, but sure glad I took the jump & fits my ears fine. Also, needed to find a used set in UK for under £1K (now have).

Back to Back listening tests all day today for me.

Initial impression, M9 sound flat/lifeless compared to the 'eargasm' the Z1R delivers 😲 M9 clinical to Z1R simply wow at everything for me. The base impact of the Z1R is just on a completely different level of its own and in no way overpowering.

As others have said, clearer/sharper mids on the M9 vs Z1R but that doesn't mean Z1R sounds worse, just different.

Fit/wear-ability is of course massively better with the M9 as small, lighter and great design.

1688812759473.png

Tried both with stock cables & Sony aftermarket 3.5mm and the Sony Kimber 4.4mm and can't say I'm hearing any sonic difference really. The Z1R seems to fit better & easier with cables that don't have the memory loop as per the stock cables.

All my listening is with Sony NW-A307 or Fiio BTR7 wired.

I've only had them just over a day and already its hard to listen to music now with anything other than the Z1R, they are that enjoyable. Don't think I'd use them out walking and certainly not exercising due to less comfy fit and larger size/weight.

Can appreciate why the price difference, both excellent in their price points. Biggest step change in audio since I went from SE535 to SE846 8 years ago.

Now that I've had a few BA and Dynamic IEMS I think I have a preference for those with Dynamic drivers as I love my much cheaper Fiio FD7 too.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #2,672 of 3,268
I got my M9's a friend :relaxed: Been putting off for ages due to having to buy blind off back of fit concerns, but sure glad I took the jump & fits my ears fine. Also, needed to find a used set in UK for under £1K (now have).

Back to Back listening tests all day today for me.

Initial impression, M9 sound flat/lifeless compared to the 'eargasm' the Z1R delivers 😲 M9 clinical to Z1R simply wow at everything for me. The base impact of the Z1R is just on a completely different level of its own and in no way overpowering.

As others have said, clearer/sharper mids on the M9 vs Z1R but that doesn't mean Z1R sounds worse, just different.

Fit/wear-ability is of course massively better with the M9 as small, lighter and great design.

1688812759473.png

Tried both with stock cables & Sony aftermarket 3.5mm and the Sony Kimber 4.4mm and can't say I'm hearing any sonic difference really. The Z1R seems to fit better & easier with cables that don't have the memory loop as per the stock cables.

All my listening is with Sony NW-A307 or Fiio BTR7 wired.

I've only had them just over a day and already its hard to listen to music now with anything other than the Z1R, they are that enjoyable. Don't think I'd use them out walking and certainly not exercising due to less comfy fit and larger size/weight.

Can appreciate why the price difference, both excellent in their price points. Biggest step change in audio since I went from SE535 to SE846 8 years ago.

Now that I've had a few BA and Dynamic IEMS I think I have a preference for those with Dynamic drivers as I love my much cheaper Fiio FD7 too.
Flat/lifeless is how i felt on first listen, to be fair, i still do to a point. Dunu silver Blanche cable improved things instantly, but even with tip rolling ( i am waiting on foams), the only time i feel happy is with my TAZ on high gain approx 12db volume fed via pc usb.
This poor fit is partly due to small ear canals with i now know as i had impressions made for some snuggs, i was shocked how narrow they were !

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #2,673 of 3,268
Flat/lifeless is how i felt on first listen, to be fair, i still do to a point. Dunu silver Blanche cable improved things instantly, but even with tip rolling ( i am waiting on foams), the only time i feel happy is with my TAZ on high gain approx 12db volume fed via pc usb.
This poor fit is partly due to small ear canals with i now know as i had impressions made for some snuggs, i was shocked how narrow they were !
Only in comparrison to the Z1R, otherwise I think the M9 sound great.

I have no fit issues at all with my M9's.

I've got quality Copper, Silver and Kimber cables and can't say I hear any difference really, maybe a bit copper vs pure silver. Quality, feel, style, connector are the differentiators with cables for me, not change to sound characteristics.

Jul 8, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #2,674 of 3,268

No need to exercise anymore if you listen to the Z1R for at least one hour per day.

Jul 8, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #2,675 of 3,268
Don't worry, you're neither the first, nor the only one with that issue. That is a common issue with almost all closed All-BA IEMs and almost all IER-M9 owners do have this issue.

Nobody understands and/or knows why Sony delivers them with silicone only. Even the guys who developed the IER-M9 had issues with the silicone tips, as stated in an interview.

And no professional artist, like ever, used any IEM without foam. Thats just impossible on stage. The isolation is bad, the sound changes constantly when you move, especially when you are an vocalist. If you take a close look, you can see that a lot of artists squeeze their foam tips of their IEMs when they (re)insert them.

I think the only other company who does that is Moondrop with the S8, but they at least advertise the MIS Foam Tips and even advertise, how they improve the sound. They are just stingy.

But Sony didn't even offer foam before the WH-1000XM4.

I think they just assumed that everyone will use comply anyway as that is what most pros use.

There are people who hate foam that hard, that they just accept that they sound bad with silicone and accept it, but thats the absolute minority.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #2,676 of 3,268
Don't worry, you're neither the first, nor the only one with that issue. That is a common issue with almost all closed All-BA IEMs and almost all IER-M9 owners do have this issue.

Nobody understands and/or knows why Sony delivers them with silicone only. Even the guys who developed the IER-M9 had issues with the silicone tips, as stated in an interview.

And no professional artist, like ever, used any IEM without foam. Thats just impossible on stage. The isolation is bad, the sound changes constantly when you move, especially when you are an vocalist. If you take a close look, you can see that a lot of artists squeeze their foam tips of their IEMs when they (re)insert them.

I think the only other company who does that is Moondrop with the S8, but they at least advertise the MIS Foam Tips and even advertise, how they improve the sound. They are just stingy.

But Sony didn't even offer foam before the WH-1000XM4.

I think they just assumed that everyone will use comply anyway as that is what most pros use.

There are people who hate foam that hard, that they just accept that they sound bad with silicone and accept it, but thats the absolute minority.
To be fair, as good as the Sony foams sound, they don’t isolate much and would never use them on stage.

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #2,677 of 3,268
To be fair, as good as the Sony foams sound, they don’t isolate much and would never use them on stage.
Yes, absolutely. Fully agree on that. That is why i mostly use INAIRS. They isolate better and provide much better fit/comfort. Its sad that there are no "normal" foam from Sony

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #2,679 of 3,268

The higher-end pros use custom IEMs for stage monitoring, which generally gives the best isolation and fit, even better than foams.

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #2,680 of 3,268
The higher-end pros use custom IEMs for stage monitoring, which generally gives the best isolation and fit, even better than foams.
It doesn't. Custom IEMs isolate weaker than Foam and especially vocalists can't use them because they move their mouth while singing which further reduces the isolation, causes a lot of pressure issues, discomfort and increases the resonance.

You can use a mouth piece while creating the mold which opens your mouth half which is a compromise because its only half uncomfortable when fully opened or closed, but that further reduces isolation.

You can see for example here how the foam is squeezed before inserting:

Its an FitEar btw, so an company that is famous for producing custom IEM. So its not like he couldn't get one if he would have wanted to.

Also custom IEM provide less reliable sound quality. Universal Monitors are quite common even with high end pros due to higher sound quality and better isolation and (especially with vocalists) better comfort.

But maybe an Band with up to 200 Million clicks is just not big enough for custom IEM^^

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #2,681 of 3,268
I had customs. Nothing beats Etymotic with Comply P in my experience in terms of isolation.

Jul 9, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #2,682 of 3,268
I had customs. Nothing beats Etymotic with Comply P in my experience in terms of isolation.

Well YMMV and all, we all have different ear anatomies and depends on the custom IEM design (eg vented sets may let in some noise compared to unvented IEMs).

I do stage monitoring for gigs every week, so speaking from personal experience, where the sound can hit 120 - 130 dB easily on live performances, customs do give me the best fit and isolation, which is important for hearing protection. I've tried Etymotics before but couldn't tolerate the deep insertion, though yeah it is really good in isolation for a non custom IEM.

Jul 10, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #2,683 of 3,268
1688969978054.png

Cannot recommend the Aroma Audio Air enough! My M15 and RU7 sounds like radios coming back from it (well thats hyperboling a bit lol. RU7's impressive soundstage seems quite small against the cavernous sound or AIR. Bass, treble, midrange, the tonality... everything is on a different level) A 600 USD freak that sounds better than most flagship daps and portables out there (N8ii and Hugo 2 for example. iFi portables don't even come close). AMAZING synergy wiith IER M9, Empire Odin, Aroma Jewel and HD 650. I wish it had USB audio though. It sounds that good via BT alone. Also the the protected 18650 battery is easily swappable once it gives in eventually. Hotswappable OPamps as well.

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #2,684 of 3,268
Well YMMV and all, we all have different ear anatomies and depends on the custom IEM design (eg vented sets may let in some noise compared to unvented IEMs).

I do stage monitoring for gigs every week, so speaking from personal experience, where the sound can hit 120 - 130 dB easily on live performances, customs do give me the best fit and isolation, which is important for hearing protection. I've tried Etymotics before but couldn't tolerate the deep insertion, though yeah it is really good in isolation for a non custom IEM.
Using the IER-M9 or especially the TG335 with foam gives me almost the same isolation as deep inserted earplugs and nothing isolates better than these.

I once payed a _lot_ of money for custom earplugs because i didn't like the feel of deep inserted Ohropax but even though they were expensive, the isolated like garbage. Went 2-times to the company who made them to let them check but they confirmed, they fit as good as they can, i just expect too much from them.

And, in my experience, the same is true with custom In-Ear.

Sony does develop/produce Custom In-Ear, the JustEar series, they even offer custom Tunings for them, but for their Stage Monitors they decided for an universal design.

And they are not alone. Vision Ears offers all VEs in Universal, and Westones offers with the AM Pro, Pro X and MACH Series 3 Universal only lines.

I can totally understand that a lot of people prefer customs for several reasons (most importantly the comfort is, if you're not a vocalist, significantly higher), but Universal Monitoring is a thing, even with High End Pros.

As you said, every ear is different and ears in general are no fun to work with and even though i prefer universal monitors due to sound and isolation, they are absolutely not comfortable to wear of a long time.

So in terms of comfort, i would always choose, without question, an custom In-Ear. Having the IER-M9 in the ear for like 12 hours on a long plain flight really makes my ears sore. I have to take them out from time to time.

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #2,685 of 3,268
1688969978054.png
Cannot recommend the Aroma Audio Air enough! My M15 and RU7 sounds like radios coming back from it (well thats hyperboling a bit lol. RU7's impressive soundstage seems quite small against the cavernous sound or AIR. Bass, treble, midrange, the tonality... everything is on a different level) A 600 USD freak that sounds better than most flagship daps and portables out there (N8ii and Hugo 2 for example. iFi portables don't even come close). AMAZING synergy wiith IER M9, Empire Odin, Aroma Jewel and HD 650. I wish it had USB audio though. It sounds that good via BT alone. Also the the protected 18650 battery is easily swappable once it gives in eventually. Hotswappable OPamps as well.
Yes it's pretty impressive - have one myself and it's one of my favorite dac's & agree with your impressions as it improves everything I've conected it to - I did an op-amp swap to V5i Bursons and everything jumped up a notch (energy, bass, mids, treble, soundstage - added an extra touch of warmth). The BT is auto quick to connect and very reliable - no drop outs experienced at all. It's an under-rated gem !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back