Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jun 14, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #1,981 of 3,155
Check you the posts from Rob Watts about DSD.
Rob is the designer of the proprietary CHORD DACs and he doesn't only create amazing DACs but also shares a lot of his knowledge here in the forum.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-15441968
I don't agree with some things Rob Watts says, but those are very specific, die hard scientific statements about DACs where he isn't wrong, its just extremely hard to proof if he is really right.

But what he says about DSD is 100% Correct and i agree with that. Thank you for sharing

Jun 14, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #1,982 of 3,155
try rammstein's new album zeit and let me know. 24 bit vs dsd, dsd feels better.

Also IIRC i was googling a lot on dsd, dsd and loudness wars on songs started in the same era. Supposedly dsd had better loudness levels and a bit of spatial thing going on in them so sound stage and separation should be better on dsd as compared to 24/96.

Now i also know things are highly dependant on the mastering and production, but everybody experiance is different i guess ?
"Everybodys experience is difference" is no answer to scientific questions.

Its either better, or its not. You can argue if someone likes the better version or not. So it is absolutely subjective if DSD sounds better to someone.

But PCM is better in terms of technicality and more true to the original. But i accept and understand that a lot of people like the softer DSD Sound more. A lot of people like Analog Amps more because they sound softer than full digital amps.

I think, especially with Full Digital Amps, there is often a preference to DSD Remastering as some people think its sounds too harsh/fast in PCM. But this is how it sounds i real life (no matter if someone likes that or not).

People prefer colored headphones, colored amps so of course, there is also an preference to DSD to some

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #1,983 of 3,155
Well i am not a very technical person so in accordance with my limited knowledge, i defer to the fact that everybody's experience is different.(don't want to start flame warz Lol)

As an Example i abhor MQA, absolutely hate it. Which is why i don't use tidal cause it tends to color the original recording in a very weird way as compared to original flac recording.

Jun 14, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #1,984 of 3,155
I once watched an interview with a Hong Kong music producer and I agree with his point of view entirely. He listen to mostly wav files because that's the most common first file format generated by the producers after mixing and mastering. anything after that is converted and might alter the sound. wav is the first, initial, original recording.

Jun 14, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,985 of 3,155
I once watched an interview with a Hong Kong music producer and I agree with his point of view entirely. He listen to mostly wav files because that's the most common first file format generated by the producers after mixing and mastering. anything after that is converted and might alter the sound. wav is the first, initial, original recording.
FLAC is lossless, it's like ZIP.

If you compress something using ZIP, it's 100% identical to the source after decompress. It's the same with FLAC.

And because FLAC is open source, everyone can test and verify this. You can watch it's source code and see exactly what it does and how.

That is why FLAC files are still very big, especially at higher bit rates. You can't make it smaller without losing infornations.

But this is very rare in the audiophile world and I can understand why.

The only reason to buy a Walkman is because you can not get this sound from any other DAP.

If Sony would tell what exactly they did and how, someone can just build it and save 6 years of development time.

So proprietary solutions are important, but dangerous at the same time.

Jun 14, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #1,986 of 3,155
Well i am not a very technical person so in accordance with my limited knowledge, i defer to the fact that everybody's experience is different.(don't want to start flame warz Lol)

As an Example i abhor MQA, absolutely hate it. Which is why i don't use tidal cause it tends to color the original recording in a very weird way as compared to original flac recording.
Good decision. MQA is just there to make MQA money. It only exists that people can increase their income.

And Audiophile are easy to chat on.

An 2m silver Kimber Cable costs 4000€...

But at least it doesn't make the sounds quality worse, with MQA you pay money to get less...

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #1,988 of 3,155
Trying out my M9 with Questyle M15 and the experience is nothing short of amazing. M9 sounds big and headphone like with it that too out of the SE on low gain (haven't tried out the 4.4 balanced out yet with M9 but the balanced out makes my Edition XS sing. Good synergy with HD650 as well). If M9 is to be paired with a dongle, M12/M15 is it IMO.

Jun 15, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #1,989 of 3,155
try the xduoo link 2 bal cheaper by 100 bucks but maybe 2% better perf.

Also try the eq profile from autoeq github for sony ier m9 let me know thoughts y'all. This goes for all the owners
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/INDEX.md
search for ier m9.

Also just got the eartips for xm4 1000 and they sound very good, almost there on par with the hybrid tips. Hadn't had any time time to do any critical listening but comfort is right up there.

Jun 15, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #1,990 of 3,155
They are worth a try if you like the radius tips because they are both similar but I think the azlas give me a slightly wider sound stage with a little more separation, but thats me. Lol
the azlas arrived. not for me, bass is too boomy for my taste, but it does have wider soundstage with a little more separation but lacks some excitement factor up top.

anyway, i also ordered azla crystal for tws, and i put them on the M9, and these are my preferred tips now. the tips are so shallow that i think i am listening to the M9 without any alteration. everything is so clear.

1655293916555.png

Jun 15, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #1,991 of 3,155
try the xduoo link 2 bal cheaper by 100 bucks but maybe 2% better perf.

Also try the eq profile from autoeq github for sony ier m9 let me know thoughts y'all. This goes for all the owners
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/INDEX.md
search for ier m9.

Also just got the eartips for xm4 1000 and they sound very good, almost there on par with the hybrid tips. Hadn't had any time time to do any critical listening but comfort is right up there.
Already tried Link 2 Bal. Brilliant product but not at the level of M15 unfortunately, more of an M12 contender. Moonriver 2 was godawful and Shanling UA5 was decent. I own the XM4 as well. Here's the funny thing, XM4 sounds absolutely awful with the supplied tips but magnificent with the Sony hybrids (EPEX 11). Baby M9 with bass boost basically and has better timbre than most sub 500 USD chi fi hypebeasts.

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #1,992 of 3,155
the azlas arrived. not for me, bass is too boomy for my taste, but it does have wider soundstage with a little more separation but lacks some excitement factor up top.

anyway, i also ordered azla crystal for tws, and i put them on the M9, and these are my preferred tips now. the tips are so shallow that i think i am listening to the M9 without any alteration. everything is so clear.

1655293916555.png
I like the bass on the azla sednaearfit but we are all different in our tastes, glad you enjoy the azla crystal I haven't tried those yet or the other azla clear ones.

Jun 15, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #1,993 of 3,155

1655293916555.png

Attachments

• 16552948972527865295116264184248.jpg
    16552948972527865295116264184248.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 0
Jun 15, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #1,995 of 3,155
The Acoustune AET-06 Tips pictured above are probably more to your liking also.
looks like we have different preference. i prefer solid punchy bass instead of the rumbling kind, and also sparkly highs. i have those aet06 as well. i use them with fd5 for ultimate bass. now this reminds me to try the azla on the fd5

update: tried them on fd5, bass is good but still prefer aet06 on them, mid is more pronouced and fixes it's v-shaped signature

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back