Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jun 15, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #1,996 of 3,155
looks like we have different preference. i prefer solid punchy bass instead of the rumbling kind, and also sparkly highs. i have those aet06 as well. i use them with fd5 for ultimate bass. now this reminds me to try the azla on the fd5

update: tried them on fd5, bass is good but still prefer aet06 on them, mid is more pronouced and fixes it's v-shaped signature
Funny you should say that because the bass isn't in anyway rumbling to my ears.
I do like tight base & good spacious mids but not to sparkling on the treble. This is what I get with the asla sednaearfit & aet06 tips.
It also depends on what we listen to aswell.

Jun 16, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #1,997 of 3,155
Anyone compare monarch2 , mest 2, any other totl iem, with m9? need opinion for my next iem.

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #1,998 of 3,155
Anyone compare monarch2 , mest 2, any other totl iem, with m9? need opinion for my next iem.
perhaps you can tell us what you are looking for, all 3 of them are awesome but i ultimately chose the m9 because the vocal is much better than monarch mk2 and also cheaper than mest mk2. i would choose the mest mk2 if money was not an issue because mest mk2 has more details and also more comfortable for my ears. just my personal opinion though.

Jun 18, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #1,999 of 3,155
MEST sucks ass. Unnatural and plasticky, good initial wow factor and detail though. I had the monarch mk1 for a month. Great IEM but coherency, treble extension, midrange, timbre and bass quality was much better on M9.

Jun 18, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #2,001 of 3,155
My M9's have returned! I had to send mine back to Sony as the R side was malfunctioning but thankfully it was still under warranty and Sony sent me a brand new set. Very happy to have them back, they never cease to impress me.

Jun 24, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #2,004 of 3,155
Is anyone eq'ing the m9's ?

Well i am using the oratory's eq profile for autoeq project github, male vocals go to super weird if eq'ed and female vocals shine with eq compared to non eq.

link https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_in-ear_2019v2/Sony IER-M9
I eq mine with my Schiit stack but not with my BTR5. I've tried oratory's eq but did not like it at all, and same with a few others I found online. I just do it by ear, usually add a little bass and treble. I prefer a brighter sound and with my desktop amp/dac it just need a little bump in the upper mids and lower treble.
I'd like to eventually get a more neutral desktop amp/dac and I'm guessing I won't want to eq them after that.

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #2,005 of 3,155
I eq mine with my Schiit stack but not with my BTR5. I've tried oratory's eq but did not like it at all, and same with a few others I found online. I just do it by ear, usually add a little bass and treble. I prefer a brighter sound and with my desktop amp/dac it just need a little bump in the upper mids and lower treble.
I'd like to eventually get a more neutral desktop amp/dac and I'm guessing I won't want to eq them after that.
I dont think that btr5 must be doind justice to m9.
Have you tried with any dedicated dac like xduoo link 2 bal, questyle m15, lotoo and paw s2 ?

Or ony other ones ?

If you did could you shed a bit of light on bluetooth vs non bluetooth sq ?

Also why not quedlix instead of btr5, isnt it superior to btr5 ?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #2,006 of 3,155
I dont think that btr5 must be doind justice to m9.
Have you tried with any dedicated dac like xduoo link 2 bal, questyle m15, lotoo and paw s2 ?

Or ony other ones ?

If you did could you shed a bit of light on bluetooth vs non bluetooth sq ?

Also why not quedlix instead of btr5, isnt it superior to btr5 ?
I have not tried any other other portable amp/dac's. Imo the BTR5 is pretty darn good for on the go, maybe not the greatest but satisfactory for me.

As for the Quedelix 5k, from all my reading and research what I've gathered is that it sounds very similar. The main advantages of the 5k seem to be that bluetooth range is better and the app and built in Eq is better and will work with LDAC.

I have considered getting the 5k several times, most recently just last week, but alas it just doesn't seem worth it atm for my needs. I've also considered getting something like the Chord Mojo, but I just can't imagine I'd use it often due to it's size and lack of bluetooth. I want my player(Phone) completely wire-free.

Comparing my M9's via BTR5 to my schiit stack, I prefer the stack, but only if I eq. It doesn't sound noticeably better necessarily, just different. The stack is quite coloured by comparison by default.

Jun 25, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #2,007 of 3,155
Well I'm a liar, I just ordered a Qudelix 5K out of frustration with the BTR5. Lately it's been cutting out, mostly while outside. Today I couldn't even keep my phone in my back pocket without getting cut outs every 5-10secs.

I guess I'll see how they compare soon enough.

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #2,008 of 3,155
Well I'm a liar, I just ordered a Qudelix 5K out of frustration with the BTR5. Lately it's been cutting out, mostly while outside. Today I couldn't even keep my phone in my back pocket without getting cut outs every 5-10secs.

I guess I'll see how they compare soon enough.
I have used my qudelix 5k with my m9s & it sounds great but I now have them permanently hooked up to fiio utws5 bluetooth ear hooks & they sound just as good.
I only just purchased the ifi audio micro idsd signature dac/amp also but don't really want to disconnect my m9s to try them.

Jun 26, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #2,009 of 3,155
Is anyone eq'ing the m9's ?

I have done some playing with power amp equaliser when feeding DAC dongles. I think it brings a bit of excitement while keeping its character.

Let me know what you guys think and if I have butchered it!
20220625_204632.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back