Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jun 9, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #1,951 of 3,155
Same issue with me, the EP feels like foam when inserting and slowly but surely i can feel my ears burning after tens of minutes, wish they have MS size :/, now i’m back to Dekoni’s foam which is a little bit too small as usual, this is even more annoying than Blessing 2 and Variations.
I am squeezing them before insertion and pulling my ear, so i don't have any issues when inserting them. I just have issues when they are inside my ear for a long period of time.

The Triple Comfort are, as the name says, just more comfortable. But i can wear the Noise Isolation Eartips (NI1000) for hours too, and i still use them whenever i need higher isolation (especially outside the house and when commuting.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #1,953 of 3,155
I don't know why and when it changed to deep fit, you can not deep fit the IER-M9. Its housing doesn't allow deep fitting.

It has been designed by Sony for easy and fast insertion as it is an stage IEM. So i highly recommend to _not_ deep-fit them and this is not my personal opinion, this is what Sony says.

You just "place" them into your ear, even the official manual says, don't push them. If they don't fit and/or the bass is weak, its the wrong size.

That is why they included so many sizes with them. So that everyone can find the right size
They have a longer nozzle than some iems & definitely insert deeper than my sennheiser ie300 & ie600. I also use the longer tips. Shallow fit doesn't sound anywhere as good to me. But we are all different in our preferences. Have you read this tread from page 1 its amazing how views have changed from one extreme to the other regarding tips & fit. Lol

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #1,954 of 3,155
do your M9 sliding out when using triple comfort?
At first, yes. But i changed the sized and found one that don't do it.

Do they actually slide out or does it just feel like they would?

With the IER-M9 you don't wear the IEM itself, actually you just wear the earpiece and the IEM itself is more like floating/resting in your ear.

At first i tried SS and S because that is what i usually use (i use SS with the E5000 and S with the IER-Z1R).

But after i switched to MS and ML for Right/Left, this stopped.

If you want to try triple comfort, my recommendation is to start with M (no matter what you normally use).

Pull your ear up, wiggle them gently in (don't push), and hold (don't push) them while letting your ear go.

If they slide out, its the wrong size.

In rare cases, no size does fit. My girlfriend can only use the LL silicone for example

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #1,955 of 3,155
They have a longer nozzle than some iems & definitely insert deeper than my sennheiser ie300 & ie600. I also use the longer tips. Shallow fit doesn't sound anywhere as good to me. But we are all different in our preferences. Have you read this tread from page 1 its amazing how views have changed from one extreme to the other regarding tips & fit. Lol
The nozzle is long, because you can't insert them deep. If the nozzle would be shorter, they would just no longer be in-ears.

They go deeper than the Sennheiser IE300/600/900, that is true, but they are nowhere as deep as the IER-Z1R, XBA-Z5, XBA-N3, FA9 or even the E5000.

The IER-Z1R goes that deep, that i have to use S size. The E5000 goes that deep, that i have to use SS size. For the IER-M9, i need ML.

The housing of the IER-M9 is flat and not designed in any way that it can go inside your ear

DSC_1379.JPG

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #1,956 of 3,155

With the IER-M9 you don't wear the IEM itself, actually you just wear the earpiece and the IEM itself is more like floating/resting in your ear.

At first i tried SS and S because that is what i usually use (i use SS with the E5000 and S with the IER-Z1R).

If you want to try triple comfort, my recommendation is to start with M (no matter what you normally use).

Pull your ear up, wiggle them gently in (don't push), and hold (don't push) them while letting your ear go.

In care rare, no size does with. My girlfriend can only use the LL silicone for example
The iem literally slide out but not all the way out but i keep push them in anyway, i’l try it again later.
Thanks for the info

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #1,957 of 3,155
The nozzle is long, because you can't insert them deep. If the nozzle would be shorter, they would just no longer be in-ears.

They go deeper than the Sennheiser IE300/600/900, that is true, but they are nowhere as deep as the IER-Z1R, XBA-Z5, XBA-N3, FA9 or even the E5000.

The IER-Z1R goes that deep, that i have to use S size. The E5000 goes that deep, that i have to use SS size. For the IER-M9, i need ML.

The housing of the IER-M9 is flat and not designed in any way that it can go inside your ear

DSC_1379.JPG
I know the housing can't go in the ear lol
I own them aswell I know what they look like, what I am referring to is at the start of this tread they weren't even pushing them in till the housing sat against the ear.

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #1,960 of 3,155
I know the housing can't go in the ear lol
I own them aswell I know what they look like, what I am referring to is at the start of this tread they weren't even pushing them in till the housing sat against the ear.
Yes, because this caused pressure issues for most people because they most likely used the wrong size and/or did insert them wrong.

Or, depending in the earshape, just could not insert them properly at all

If the earpieces start to seal halfway through, you are creating a pressure by inserting them completely.

But some people also have issues with suction and when you have an suction, you can temporarily fix that by pushing them further in.

That is why some people forcefully try to push them as deep as possible by tilting them.

All you need is the right earpiece size, that should do it

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #1,961 of 3,155
May be Right M & Left MS, but sometimes MS doesn’t seal and M a bit too stuffy, both slide out while the right one i don’t really remember, might be a snug fit
Just as a reminder

MS is short M
ML is long M

But if they slide out, that sounds like a job for L

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #1,962 of 3,155
Just as a reminder

MS is short M
ML is long M

But if they slide out, that sounds like a job for L

This is a bit confusing since JVC naming their spiral dot with MS for Medium Small size and ML for Medium Large size
but with Sony, MS M and ML is same diameter width, with differences on Length only, and how stupid I am, figured it out after years with my EX-1000, few years back. My logic was playing trick with me.

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #1,963 of 3,155
This is a bit confusing since JVC naming their spiral dot with MS for Medium Small size and ML for Medium Large size
but with Sony, MS M and ML is same diameter width, with differences on Length only, and how stupid I am, figured it out after years with my EX-1000, few years back. My logic was playing trick with me.
To be fair, the English Manual is not very clear about that. The Japanese Manual makes much more sense of this.

The English manual is just garbage overall and tells you much less things. It contains like half of the text (at all, not just earpieces)
1654783655473.png

1654783755253.png

Sony outside of Japan is just a different thing^^

//EDIT: Even though the English version still contains less informations (even though its written in multiple languages(!), it does contain the above mentioned informations, just in a separate block

1654783908883.png

I think this is due to the multi-language nature of the manual.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #1,964 of 3,155

In rare cases, no size does fit. My girlfriend can only use the LL silicone for example
So i just tried both hybrid and triple, while triple L size and fit but too stuffy and if i move around it still slowly slip made me feel different pressure on both ears (exaggeration: like you use L and S size), and the hybrid that i can use without causing the sound skewing to the left is L size (R) and MS size (L) but when i move it simply bounce causing pressure and sound keep changing.
And after several test, my EP-N1000 suddenly can’t seal anymore (maybe my ears got stretched). Any S size can’t seal on my ears btw.
Such pain.. i might sell it and if 64audio’s apex still not good i can only stay away from unvented BA iems in the future 🥺

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #1,965 of 3,155
So i just tried both hybrid and triple, while triple L size and fit but too stuffy and if i move around it still slowly slip made me feel different pressure on both ears (exaggeration: like you use L and S size), and the hybrid that i can use without causing the sound skewing to the left is L size (R) and MS size (L) but when i move it simply bounce causing pressure and sound keep changing.
And after several test, my EP-N1000 suddenly can’t seal anymore (maybe my ears got stretched). Any S size can’t seal on my ears btw.
Such pain.. i might sell it and if 64audio’s apex still not good i can only stay away from unvented BA iems in the future 🥺
Well if no foam fits you (not even normal foam), the only thing you can do is getting an Otoplastic or sell them :/

Foam is the only solution to Air Pressure issues and in addition to that, the IER-M9 are very special in terms of fitting.

The FA9 are unvented too and most people don't have issues with them. I can also fit them with silicone just fine and Foam is just perfect fit.

But the FA9 go much deeper into the ear thanks to their semi custom design.

So your issue is not mainly to the unvented design. The EP-NI1000 don't fit and there is no relation to the venting.

The IER-M9 are just hard to fit overall.

But if L feels to stuffy, the MS/M/ML sounds right.

But your ears should not stretch at all, that sounds like you're pushing them to hard.

Can you show an video how you're fitting them? Maybe that can help us identify any issues

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back