Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jun 9, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #1,966 of 3,155
Well if no foam fits you (not even normal foam), the only thing you can do is getting an Otoplastic or sell them :/

Foam is the only solution to Air Pressure issues and in addition to that, the IER-M9 are very special in terms of fitting.

The FA9 are unvented too and most people don't have issues with them. I can also fit them with silicone just fine and Foam is just perfect fit.

But the FA9 go much deeper into the ear thanks to their semi custom design.

So your issue is not mainly to the unvented design. The EP-NI1000 don't fit and there is no relation to the venting.

The IER-M9 are just hard to fit overall.

But if L feels to stuffy, the MS/M/ML sounds right.

But your ears should not stretch at all, that sounds like you're pushing them to hard.

Can you show an video how you're fitting them? Maybe that can help us identify any issues
I just need foam that 0.5mm bigger than Dekoni mercury S, the EP normally fit good and it seal but gets hot or irritated over time.
For others iem i simply put them in my ears and push them in until i got snug fit, and done, the only eartips i can do the same with M9 is the foam.
For the test i slightly tilt my head to opposite direction, pull my ear upward, open my mouth, put the M9 in, hold it and release everything. For all silicone including hybrid with the size i comfortable with, the sound skew to the left if it fit properly, while triple comfort slipping until the very edge before the seal broke.

Jun 9, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #1,967 of 3,155
I figured out a solution for that vacuum effect on M7 / M9 with pinch a hole with needle, just a very small hole on the stem of the eartips, just enough to make little bit of air without break the seal or alter the sound / sub bass.
I wrote about that somewhere, maybe on other thread about M7/M9/Z1R last time

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #1,968 of 3,155
I figured out a solution for that vacuum effect on M7 / M9 with pinch a hole with needle, just a very small hole on the stem of the eartips, just enough to make little bit of air without break the seal or alter the sound / sub bass.
Its mentioned on this thread I remember reading about it, as long as the pin hole is at the top part of the eartip shaft so it doesn't ride over the iem tube. Some have used 2 holes.

Jun 10, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #1,969 of 3,155
Its mentioned on this thread I remember reading about it, as long as the pin hole is at the top part of the eartip shaft so it doesn't ride over the iem tube. Some have used 2 holes.

Yes correct. The hole must be on the stem but on upper area, so won't be blocked by IEM nozzle when attached.

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #1,970 of 3,155
I tried that two times, but ended up destroying my MS earpieces which can't be replaced easily. Either they had no effect, or, when they were big enough to have an effect, it modified the sound.

You can not buy the MS size, only order from Sony as replacement parts.

So maybe that works for some, but i'd only try that with the replaceable ones^^

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #1,971 of 3,155
HOLY JESUS ON A GUACOMOLE !!!!

These sound ****ing crazy, for the last 3 days i couldn't leave them alone for a moment of my free time.

Paired with the triple comfort m size and xduoo link bal 2 on high res music (dsd). My blind buying decision paid off big time.

P.S these iems fit and feel like butter in my ears, no fatigue or ill fitting issues. Touchwood

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #1,972 of 3,155
I had hesitated with a lot of iems and honestly had a bit of checklist may be of help to any other head fiers too:

Has to metal shell and abuse resistant
From a reputed brand
Good quality packing and accessions and cables.
An all-rounder worthy iems
damn comfortable
mcx connectors (hate 2 pin thery are ****ing frail)

Well, these throw all the chifi iems out the window. Sony themselves made these products for live performers who are the most abusive guys on equipment. If there abuse is good enough mine is safe to assume it will survive.

And Behold the IER-M9 have made the cut.

Next step try to steal a wm1za mk2 from someone, kidnapping maybe lulz.

Jun 10, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #1,973 of 3,155
I had hesitated with a lot of iems and honestly had a bit of checklist may be of help to any other head fiers too:

From a reputed brand
damn comfortable

Well, these throw all the chifi iems out the window. Sony themselves made these products for live performers who are the most abusive guys on equipment. If there abuse is good enough mine is safe to assume it will survive.

Do yourself a favour and try the azla sednaearfit STANDARDS tips on them when you get a chance they really compliment the ier-m9. I have tried many different tips to see how the soundstage can be complimented & the sednaearfit are my end games probably because of their big bores.

Jun 10, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #1,974 of 3,155

From a reputed brand
damn comfortable

I use the Sony M9 for stage monitoring for many hours at at time, and indeed these babies are hardy, as you say. But more importantly, the sound is very good - warm neutral with excellent technicalities, soundstage and imaging. Perhaps compared to other TOTL sets, it doesn't have the most resolution, but definitely much more than most other IEMs.

Considering it has been out for years, and things move so fast in this industry, it can still hold its own against other TOTL releases.

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #1,975 of 3,155
My whole issue with chifi iems was that first durability, longetivity and abuse resisance.

I did have some cheaper chifi that were good but mostly all are resin shell which i just shatter on one drop. There are very few iems which are in metal shell or like sony exotic metal shell. Now i dont have anything against any chifi iems but i was doubtful on the longetivity part.

Sony iems just checked every single requirement i had and came through for me big.

Funny story one of my friends who has a monarch mk2 now wants an ier m9 too. Talk about giving customers to sony hahaha. :D

Jun 11, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #1,976 of 3,155
My whole issue with chifi iems was that first durability, longetivity and abuse resisance.

I did have some cheaper chifi that were good but mostly all are resin shell which i just shatter on one drop. There are very few iems which are in metal shell or like sony exotic metal shell. Now i dont have anything against any chifi iems but i was doubtful on the longetivity part.

Sony iems just checked every single requirement i had and came through for me big.

Funny story one of my friends who has a monarch mk2 now wants an ier m9 too. Talk about giving customers to sony hahaha. :D
not surprising, i chose the m9 over monarch mk2 as well. vocal sounds more emotional with the m9, for me at least. monarch mk2 was just "another" iem for me. not to mention that the m9 is also much smaller and more comfortable.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #1,977 of 3,155
I have a feeling that native dsd and hi-res 24/96 or 24/192 should be quite same, but just sometimes the dsd hits different. I am not saying one is superior to other, but objectively i am unable to put a finger on it. Sometimes the soundstage feels a bit better on dsd. I dunno thoughts people ?

Jun 13, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #1,978 of 3,155
DSD is a bit different yes. While PCM is capable in almost perfectly represent the original source, DSD performs worse in the treble region and at high volumes.

As it modifies the sound, it will sound different. The differences are marginal but there. But actually the Soundstage should feel worse on DSD.

The last time i did an blind A/B i came to the conclusion that its almost identical, but DSD sounds a tad softer and less direct. I tested with the new Live BluRay from Sakanacion (hikari online) and especially in the cymbals of the drums and the attack of the whole drumkit, DSD sounded software/weaker.

Don't know how much this can influence the soundstage

Jun 14, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #1,979 of 3,155
DSD is a bit different yes. While PCM is capable in almost perfectly represent the original source, DSD performs worse in the treble region and at high volumes.

As it modifies the sound, it will sound different. The differences are marginal but there. But actually the Soundstage should feel worse on DSD.

The last time i did an blind A/B i came to the conclusion that its almost identical, but DSD sounds a tad softer and less direct. I tested with the new Live BluRay from Sakanacion (hikari online) and especially in the cymbals of the drums and the attack of the whole drumkit, DSD sounded software/weaker.

Don't know how much this can influence the soundstage
try rammstein's new album zeit and let me know. 24 bit vs dsd, dsd feels better.

Also IIRC i was googling a lot on dsd, dsd and loudness wars on songs started in the same era. Supposedly dsd had better loudness levels and a bit of spatial thing going on in them so sound stage and separation should be better on dsd as compared to 24/96.

Now i also know things are highly dependant on the mastering and production, but everybody experiance is different i guess ?

Jun 14, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #1,980 of 3,155
try rammstein's new album zeit and let me know. 24 bit vs dsd, dsd feels better.

Also IIRC i was googling a lot on dsd, dsd and loudness wars on songs started in the same era. Supposedly dsd had better loudness levels and a bit of spatial thing going on in them so sound stage and separation should be better on dsd as compared to 24/96.

Now i also know things are highly dependant on the mastering and production, but everybody experiance is different i guess ?

Check you the posts from Rob Watts about DSD.
Rob is the designer of the proprietary CHORD DACs and he doesn't only create amazing DACs but also shares a lot of his knowledge here in the forum.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-15441968

Users who are viewing this thread

Back