Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Dec 3, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #1,576 of 3,253
You are juat saying false information here. It is not made of 3 tweeters. The Z1R has three drivers
One 12mm DD for bass frequemcies
One BA for mids
One 5mm DD for highg and sup r highs
Learn to read properly soeca before poating non-sense
And? You didn't explain why I'm wrong.

The 12mm DD is a tweeter capable up to 120KHz
The BA is an super tweeter capable of up to 40KHz
And then there is the dedicated super tweeter that goes up to 100KHz

Three drivers and all of them are easily capable of 40KHz and more. All of them are tweeters.

Obviously they are not used as tweeters and are not implemented that way, but from a design standpoint, they are.

Because it does have its tiny Aluminium Coated LCP ring you could call the 12DD an hybrid, but just barely.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #1,577 of 3,253
Got the Sony M9s, damn I love them so much. I just can't get over the value for money, the treble and mids are so clear and detailed, and so cohesive. The balance is just right for me, there's no treble peaks to my ears, yet there's still good energy there. They're not as clean and detailed as my Utopia's, but I actually prefer the tonality in the treble and mids.

I don't find the soundstage huge, but the depth and layering is really fun and interesting to listen to. They're so comfy and light too, the design is well thought through. I demoed the Andro's and instantly knew I preferred the M9s.

The bass / punch (or lack thereof) is a bit weird for pop / rock, but it works well for classical and singer songwriter.

Dec 5, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #1,578 of 3,253
Got the Sony M9s, damn I love them so much. I just can't get over the value for money, the treble and mids are so clear and detailed, and so cohesive. The balance is just right for me, there's no treble peaks to my ears, yet there's still good energy there. They're not as clean and detailed as my Utopia's, but I actually prefer the tonality in the treble and mids.

I don't find the soundstage huge, but the depth and layering is really fun and interesting to listen to. They're so comfy and light too, the design is well thought through. I demoed the Andro's and instantly knew I preferred the M9s.

The bass / punch (or lack thereof) is a bit weird for pop / rock, but it works well for classical and singer songwriter.
Try foam tips. I just got some after trying the standard tips and the spiral dot ++. The foam tips I got are by far the comfiest and the bass SLAMS now. Sounds way better and more full IMO

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,579 of 3,253

I am yet to find something that is an upgrade from these. There might be something at a much higher price tag, but for now, none

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #1,580 of 3,253
I am yet to find something that is an upgrade from these. There might be something at a much higher price tag, but for now, none
If you love the IER-M9, I doubt that there is an upgrade. The engineer said they tried several things including adding more BAs but they weren't able to improve it any further.

Maybe if an company starts developing their own BA but as long everyone uses the modified hearing aid BAs from Knowles or Sonion, there won't be competition any time soon.

imho what comes the closes are the FiiO FA9 in the Bass Boost setting but they are still far off.

I personally see the IER-Z1R as an different taste rather as an improvement. It's a nice addition that complements the tradition of unique sound.

But that's a good thing imho, I don't want to replace them anytime soon so there better be no upgrade

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,581 of 3,253
JVC Spiral Dot ++ ia a real upgrade compared with the stock Sony tips.

Attachments

• 20211211_134755.jpg
    20211211_134755.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 11, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,583 of 3,253
Can you elaborate what improves with those tips?
Let me try explain. If you get the right insertion (deep) and size with JVC spiral dot ++ you will feel the seal in the point of the tip, not in all your ear canal. If you get right it will balanced the sound and take out that extra fat and bassy sound from the m9. Treble and vocais will really shine.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #1,584 of 3,253
are these cables good for M9? Does it fits perfectly? I’m interested in those interchangeable plug for my use case with xd05 (3.5) on pc, shanling m3x (4.4) and soon qudelix 5k (2.5), cant afford higher priced cables and at worse i’ll just buy some random silver/black cables with 2.5 and adapters…

and is it worth it to buy fd3 pro for lcrc? Can’t find separately in my local shops
thanks

Attachments

• 2E64AA29-7514-41D9-8D8C-B7841799F27A.jpeg
    2E64AA29-7514-41D9-8D8C-B7841799F27A.jpeg
    855.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 4BDAD155-4786-4473-AE0F-8C0F08AB73F6.jpeg
    4BDAD155-4786-4473-AE0F-8C0F08AB73F6.jpeg
    757.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 14, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #1,585 of 3,253
are these cables good for M9? Does it fits perfectly? I’m interested in those interchangeable plug for my use case with xd05 (3.5) on pc, shanling m3x (4.4) and soon qudelix 5k (2.5), cant afford higher priced cables and at worse i’ll just buy some random silver/black cables with 2.5 and adapters…

and is it worth it to buy fd3 pro for lcrc? Can’t find separately in my local shops
thanks
If you want a interchangeable plug cable, I recommend Dunu Blanche for M9, try it!

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #1,586 of 3,253

thanks
Wow they fit surprisingly well. They are a bit smaller and so it looks a bit alien, but they feel very good when using them. In terms of comfort/feel they are even better than the Stock Cable imho.

I dunno why i never tried that before^^ but the result is good.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,587 of 3,253
Wow they fit surprisingly well. They are a bit smaller and so it looks a bit alien, but they feel very good when using them. In terms of comfort/feel they are even better than the Stock Cable imho.

I dunno why i never tried that before^^ but the result is good.
The black one or pure silver? Does it looks good on M9 other than better comfort? Thanks for answer

Btw is the cable springy and tangly?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,588 of 3,253
The black one or pure silver? Does it looks good on M9 other than better comfort? Thanks for answer

Btw is the cable springy and tangly?
I have the FiiO LC-4.4D (the one where you can't change the plug, but other than that, its identical), so pure silver.

Its less springy and tangly than the Stock cable but not perfect.

It looks good but weird. You can see that this is not the stock cable because the plug is slightly smaller than the socked on the M9 and you have to like the combination of black and silver.

In terms of Look/Design, the Stock cable is much better imho

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #1,589 of 3,253
How is the fit compared to the Aria? Is the m9's fit as good as people say?

I have really tight left ear canal and I struggle with most IEM's, but the Aria does fits good enough to get a proper seal.

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,590 of 3,253
How is the fit compared to the Aria? Is the m9's fit as good as people say?

I have really tight left ear canal and I struggle with most IEM's, but the Aria does fits good enough to get a proper seal.
I can only fit them with memory foam but with them, they fit, seal and sound perfect.

They fit much better and more comfortable than the Aria because they have an 4mm nozzle compared to the arias 5mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back