Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Dec 14, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #1,591 of 3,155
How is the fit compared to the Aria? Is the m9's fit as good as people say?

I have really tight left ear canal and I struggle with most IEM's, but the Aria does fits good enough to get a proper seal.
The M9 is compact and has a slim nozzle, so there's generally no space issue.

Getting a perfect fit is however always a little bit of work, and the M9 is no exception.
The sealed design exascerbates that even more, you need to find the right balance between seal and preventing a vacuum effect.

The best SQ seems to be achieved with deep fit, and like many others I got the best results with small Spiral Dot++ tips, which are exceptionally soft and comply very well to my elongated, rather narrow ear canal/concha.

But the result with a good fit is really worth the effort

Dec 14, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,592 of 3,155
The M9 is compact and has a slim nozzle, so there's generally no space issue.

Getting a perfect fit is however always a little bit of work, and the M9 is no exception.
The sealed design exascerbates that even more, you need to find the right balance between seal and preventing a vacuum effect.

The best SQ seems to be achieved with deep fit, and like many others I got the best results with small Spiral Dot++ tips, which are exceptionally soft and comply very well to my elongated, rather narrow ear canal/concha.

But the result with a good fit is really worth the effort
Awesome, thank you for the info. Its been hard to get into IEM's with my weird left ear lol. I will definitely give those tips a shot when I buy my M9.

Dec 14, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,593 of 3,155
I can only fit them with memory foam but with them, they fit, seal and sound perfect.

They fit much better and more comfortable than the Aria because they have an 4mm nozzle compared to the arias 5mm
That's where im at with Aria's. What foam tips are you running?

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #1,594 of 3,155
Has anyone bought a third party cable for their M9? I'd preferably get one where you can switch the termination ends on it, and I saw that DUNU has a few options, but would rather not pay $200 for the cable if I could help it. I feel like there's gotta be something flexible like this closer to the $50-$100 range but not sure.

Dec 28, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #1,595 of 3,155
Has anyone bought a third party cable for their M9? I'd preferably get one where you can switch the termination ends on it, and I saw that DUNU has a few options, but would rather not pay $200 for the cable if I could help it. I feel like there's gotta be something flexible like this closer to the $50-$100 range but not sure.
Get Gucraftsman silver cable for ier series with 2.5mm termination and get 3.5mm and 4.4 converter from DDhifi (dj35a and dj44a) . What you'll get is a versatile cable for around 150. Gucraftsman is incredible with Senn HD650 and has turned me into a hardcore cable believer lol. Looks pretty as well.
https://www.amazon.com/GUCraftsman-Crystal-Upgrade-Earphone-Balance/dp/B08NDVR945

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #1,596 of 3,155
Dec 28, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,597 of 3,155
I just received the new Moondrop "Spring" tips and am testing them with the M9.
After extensive search my current tip selection was Spiral Dot ++, left side S and right side MS.

These tips are very interesting. They have a slightly narrower stem, which sits very securely on the M9 nozzle, but then the tip opens to a wide bore with a rather sharper edge and a very soft, slightly sticky, "umbrella" that is ribbed on the inside. I have rather small and somewhat oval ear canals and the small Spring tip gives me a deeper fit than I have managed with any other tip so far. The soft umbrella seals well, but allows for good control of vacuum pressure. The M size tips also fit well but the M9's shell sits a little further out with this tip. But very comfortable.

As always I need more time to form a final opinion but I think these are a very good option.
First impression is a clean, open sound and more energetic sound with a nice and open stage with good separation and positioning. Bass is really good too, punchy, clear and extended. The Spiral Dots sound a bit smoother, with a more compact stage and less clear separation. This might at least be partly due to insertion depth and seal, but I have to say the result is great for me and my ears.

They get a "highly recommended" from me, but I would love to hear other opinions

Moodrop Spring tips are available from the Moondrop store on Aliexpress
Source: Chord Hugo 2, tested with various music styles, Classic, K-Pop, Sound Tracks, Acoustic

B66D5489-3DD0-44F3-84A2-327F50399476.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #1,598 of 3,155
That's where im at with Aria's. What foam tips are you running?
Xcessor FX4.0 is what I use. They are very comfortable and sound excellent, but they don't last that long. Be prepared to switch tips, at least, once a month. So a pack of 8€ will last you 1-4 months, depending on how frequently you have to change them.

But that's a small prize compared to what they give you

Dec 28, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #1,599 of 3,155
I was trying Spiral Dot++ for the last couple of weeks but they didn't work out for me - I had also bought a new DAP (Cayin n6ii-Ti) and was wondering if not good synergy but I've switched back to AET07 and problem solved - they sound fantastic again and saved from going on Classifieds almost!

Jan 6, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #1,600 of 3,155
I ended up selling my IER-M9. As a complete package, it is without a doubt the most impressive IEM I own in terms of being tuned well, having flawless technicalities, with a build to match. However, several small things like the shell putting pressure on my concha, a uncomfortable ear seal no matter what tip I used, and mids sounding a tiny bit recessed to me, that made me list them for sale. I ended up replacing them with the MEST mk1, which while inferior in terms so coherency and having a W shaped tuning just has me reaching for them more often. Even then, I still think about that amazing M9 clean DD-like bass. It truly is still a IEM I would've kept if my budget allowed for it.

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #1,603 of 3,155
Haha, wow. Where did you purchase them from? I noticed A2A has been out of them for a long time
I bought them from Minidisc :)

Yeah, A2A confirmed to me that they’re no longer a Sony dealer, so whatever Sony stock they currently have is the last of it. Seriously considering picking up an IER-M7 at their clearance price because I doubt they’ll ever be that cheap again.

Edit: just checked and it looks like they’ve sold out of M7’s now as well.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #1,604 of 3,155
Hey guys! Been tip rolling for a couple of days, and still haven’t found anything great yet? Seems like the small ones that get a deep fit make the casing hurt my hears especially on the bottom. Anyone have experience with foam tips?

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #1,605 of 3,155
Hey guys! Been tip rolling for a couple of days, and still haven’t found anything great yet? Seems like the small ones that get a deep fit make the casing hurt my hears especially on the bottom. Anyone have experience with foam tips?

I couldn't get any of the stock tips to work, they all create suction and hurt eventually. I know Spiral Dot++ have been a success for a few, I'm using AET07 and find them excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back