Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Aug 20, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #1,441 of 3,155
nah we’re all different. i don’t want to say others can’t tell the difference between silver cable or copper cable but i can’t hear that level of nuance. i’d love to see an audiophile do a blind test between 2 setups with minor changes (like wire type) and see if they really can tell in an A/B test like that.

my assumption is cable makers might hate that kind of test lol
Oh it's well-established that much (most?) of the 'nuance' in audiophilery is mumbo-jumbo and hype . We all got the same baseline human auditory system, as well as the same basic human psychological tendencies of confirmation bias etc.

Here's a source committed to patiently but firmly dispelling the nonsense - especially when it's wielded by manufacturors to take bank ($$$) from malleable consumers.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #1,442 of 3,155
Oh it's well-established that much (most?) of the 'nuance' is mumbo-jumbo and hype . We all got the same baseline human auditory system, as well as the same basic human psychological tendencies of confirmation bias etc.

Here's a source committed to patiently but firmly dispelling the nonsense - especially when it's wielded by manufacturors to take bank ($$$) from malleable consumers.

Have you actually listened/compared these two cables yourself?

Regards

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #1,443 of 3,155
Do you have just the Z1R cable part or do you actually own Z1Rs as well?

so M7 woth sony kimber sounds great, what about IER-Z1R -+ sony kimber

I only have Z1R cable. Bought it from one of Australian spare parts suppliers. I didn't like M7 - Kimber combination.
This is what I wrote about it last year:

"I have also been experimenting with M12SB1 and OEM IER Z1R cables on my IER-M7. Pushed well past 200 hrs. on M12SB1. As you said. Its very smooth sounding and it also digs deeper in bass with an added definition, compared to the stock M7 cable. Unfortunately. Wasn't great with my M7 due to the significant taming/dulling of treble, which also isn't the M7 strongest suite. Ultimately sounding very boxed-in, border lining "claustrophobic" with some music. I started listening with Z1R cable last night, and was immediately struck with more forward treble. The recording I was listening to had many hand claps, and their reverberation created a heightened sense of studio space that I wasn't picking with M12SB1."

Regards

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #1,444 of 3,155
Have you actually listened/compared these two cables yourself?

Regards
No I have not - but happy to a/b test if someone sends me a ZR1 cable : )

I have listened to and compared hifi stereo speaker cables, power cables and interconnects. The base materials are the same between speaker and headphone/iem cables (conductors, coatings/jackets, whatever), as are the base physics of signal transmission along the wires. Are there cable manufacturors who have objectively measured their cables and provide data that back up their claims? Maybe ... I haven't looked for it.

Ultimately, subjective experience is the only "data" each of us wholly owns. If I experience something I like with a specific cable - whether in my head (literally), or the appearance, or my homies think it's cool, that personal experience is what matters most to me. Just be wary of someone else telling you what your experience is/will be - especially if they want your money.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #1,445 of 3,155
nah we’re all different. i don’t want to say others can’t tell the difference between silver cable or copper cable but i can’t hear that level of nuance. i’d love to see an audiophile do a blind test between 2 setups with minor changes (like wire type) and see if they really can tell in an A/B test like that.

my assumption is cable makers might hate that kind of test lol
Here is one such test...

https://www.engadget.com/2008-03-03...the-difference-between-monster-cable-and.html

Aug 21, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #1,447 of 3,155
Does anyone know where I can get the stock hybrid tips in SS for the M9? The thinner ones, not the triple comforts.

You should've received them with your M9's.

IMG_8102.jpg

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #1,449 of 3,155
So i be safe sellimg my aony kimber xable? Ive also jeard ot doesnt pair well woth Z1R

Well. The only reason I'm still holding onto Kimber is because it's taming the M9s top end. Who I found to be a touch too trebly for my liking, with its stock cable. I haven't had a time for super critical listening to determine if it also removes the detail in the process. If it does. I'll be putting it up for sale.

Schonen gruss

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #1,454 of 3,155
Thanks! I think Imma pull the trigger for M9
I had the U12t a few weeks back and while I thought it was a very clean sound I think the M9s are way better. They have more width and I'm not sure how to explain it but there's a greater stereo effect. I sometimes get startled by thinking a sound is coming from a different part of the room. The M9s also have this MASSIVE sound to me that pairs perfectly with EDM/electronic.

And yea the U12t is 2x the cost of the IER-M9 and has more than 2x the BAs. Don't care. The M9 is a better IEM in almost every regard: sound, comfort, and durability. I do wish the M9s had the pressure equalization system the U12t's have. That will be nice for airplane travel.

Listen to Ember by Camo & Krooked. Regardless of your taste in music I think it's an excellent test track. When I listened to this track with my M9s I was immediately impressed with how much wider and more massive these IEMs sound vs. almost everything I've heard before. Seriously these IEMs sound as powerful as my Ether CX but with a deeper, better low end and slightly warmer sound.

tl;dr I don't think you'll be dissapointed!

Aug 22, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #1,455 of 3,155
I had the U12t a few weeks back and while I thought it was a very clean sound I think the M9s are way better. They have more width and I'm not sure how to explain it but there's a greater stereo effect. I sometimes get startled by thinking a sound is coming from a different part of the room. The M9s also have this MASSIVE sound to me that pairs perfectly with EDM/electronic.

And yea the U12t is 2x the cost of the IER-M9 and has more than 2x the BAs. Don't care. The M9 is a better IEM in almost every regard: sound, comfort, and durability. I do wish the M9s had the pressure equalization system the U12t's have. That will be nice for airplane travel.

Listen to Ember by Camo & Krooked. Regardless of your taste in music I think it's an excellent test track. When I listened to this track with my M9s I was immediately impressed with how much wider and more massive these IEMs sound vs. almost everything I've heard before. Seriously these IEMs sound as powerful as my Ether CX but with a deeper, better low end and slightly warmer sound.

tl;dr I don't think you'll be dissapointed!

This comparison has my interest! owning the m9 and wondering how it holds up to the u12t and whether it would be considered an upgrade.

From your description it sounds like the 'soundstage' is wider with m9 in comparison to u12t (at least in width) and a cooler sound signature (relative mid bass?). Any other comments from your comparison in tonality or technicalities?

One day I will test the u12t for myself, knowing the impossibilities of reconciling the reviews and comparison's online. but an interesting discussion nonetheless!

I have also heard the m9s being described as lacking in dynamics and wondered whether this is a technicality of a driver or tonality, with the m9 having relatively less peaks/troughs in comparison to other iem's. I have read modern music being criticized for being compressed and without much dynamic range, one reason being to flatten out a singers volume when recording. A general question to those in the business: can dynamic range of a transuducer be tested? e.g. if played into a microphone, couldn't the relative peaks/troughs be measured and compared?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back