Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jun 23, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #1,381 of 3,155
Trying out the JVC Spiral Dot ++ on these for the first time, man I dont like how they murder the crispness of drum rolls. Its a shame as they're million times more comfortable than the stock eartips. Any suggestions for eartips with the same bore size as the stock tips? I had no idea what my next move is. So far I'm considering Sedna and their Xelastec variant, Acoustune eartips, Final E and the original Spiral Dot
Final Type E maybe good for you

Jun 25, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #1,383 of 3,155
Received my CEMA PS cable yesterday!
First impressions, tested with IER-M9 and Chord Hugo 2, compared to original Sony IER-Z1R cable:

Soundstage increases quite significantly in width and depth, but the increased clarity and instrument separation stands out even more. This brings out details even better, without adding harshness. Overall the cable really seems to complement the characteristics of the M9, improving the imaging with the enhanced separation, the detail with the added clarity, and expanding the M9's "miniature sound stage" to a much more realistic size.

I also compared it to the cheaper CEMA MS series cable, and the PS cable comfortably beats the MS. The MS is also an upgrade over the Z1R cable IMO, expanding the soundstage somewhat and beefing up the bass, but it cannot keep up with the PS' refinement, separation and clarity.

Edit: Where the original M9 cable and the Z1R cable beat the offerings from CEMA is microphonics, comfort and handling. The soft Sony cables are outstanding, while the CEMA cables are average in these aspects. The PS cable is quite soft for an 8 core braided cable and the ear hooks are working well, but it's still a lot more microphonic than the Sony cable. Not suitable IMO for listening on-the-go. the cable and splitter are also quite heavy. With a shirt clip it may work ok on the go, but I'll rather use it for stationary listening.
It is also slightly bulkier than the Z1R cable which means you have to wind it up just right to fit into the M9 case.

I am happy with the CEMA PS, but I may give in to curiosity some day and buy the $400 Tianwaitian cable...

PS: the black aluminum Z1R type connectors are a PERFECT match with the M9's magnesium shell!
IER-M9 with CEEMA PS Cable.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #1,384 of 3,155
I’ve been on an IER-M9 binge the last few days and it still shocks me how good these IEM’s are. Even compared to TOTL gear worth hundreds of dollars more, the IER-M9 hold its own both tonally and technically. Do you guys think the M9 is still one of, if not the best sub $1k IEM or are there any new challenger/s these days?

6576BE43-0F91-4527-BAAB-7088EB0ED59E.jpeg

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #1,385 of 3,155
I’ve been on an IER-M9 binge the last few days and it still shocks me how good these IEM’s are. Even compared to TOTL gear worth hundreds of dollars more, the IER-M9 hold its own both tonally and technically. Do you guys think the M9 is still one of, if not the best sub $1k IEM or are there any new challenger/s these days?
That's high praise from someone with your impressive IEM inventory!!!
I don't have anywhere near the experience with TOTL IEMs, but the M9 does impress me a lot. I feel there's something special about it. Balance or coherence.
I see you are using the stock cables - would be interesting to hear what differences you hear with other cables. To me the cable upgrade described above takes the M9 up a notch.

Regarding value and performance below $1k I am really impressed by the UM 3DT which sells for only $320.
Very different signature with boosted sub bass, a bit thin lower mids, clean & smooth but rather bright upper mids and smooth, clean treble.
Sound stage bigger than M9, imaging good but not as sharp as M9, excellent clarity and dynamics, good detail, and excellent timbre.
Great for classical, K-pop, female vocals, and many other genres, Not so good for male vocals, they loose some body.
They need some effort to get the best fit & SQ (lots of tip rolling, a simple mod and a good cable)

These are really good, complementary IEMs to the M9. To me they have similar SQ, but are very different from each other. So I switch between them and they get about equal ear time, maybe the 3DT gets even a bit more...

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #1,386 of 3,155
That's high praise from someone with your impressive IEM inventory!!!
I don't have anywhere near the experience with TOTL IEMs, but the M9 does impress me a lot. I feel there's something special about it. Balance or coherence.
I see you are using the stock cables - would be interesting to hear what differences you hear with other cables. To me the cable upgrade described above takes the M9 up a notch.
Agreed :) M9’s balance stands out the most whenever I listen to it.

Re cables - Tbh, I’ve been avoiding cable rolling my current M9 out of fear of destroying the mmcx sockets. My previous two M9 units both became loose after only a few cable swaps. Perhaps I was just unlucky as I haven’t heard many people reporting issues with their mmcx sockets. Socket issues aside, I’m also a huge fan of the stock cable. I find it extremely comfortable and I love how it’s completely free of microphonics.
Regarding value and performance below $1k I am really impressed by the UM 3DT which sells for only $320.
Very different signature with boosted sub bass, a bit thin lower mids, clean & smooth but rather bright upper mids and smooth, clean treble.
Sound stage bigger than M9, imaging good but not as sharp as M9, excellent clarity and dynamics, good detail, and excellent timbre.
Great for classical, K-pop, female vocals, and many other genres, Not so good for male vocals, they loose some body.
They need some effort to get the best fit & SQ (lots of tip rolling, a simple mod and a good cable)

These are really good, complementary IEMs to the M9. To me they have similar SQ, but are very different from each other. So I switch between them and they get about equal ear time, maybe the 3DT gets even a bit more...
Nice! I see loads praise for 3DT around headfi. I’ll have to try and demo it one day :)

Jul 5, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #1,387 of 3,155

6576BE43-0F91-4527-BAAB-7088EB0ED59E.jpeg
For 800 AUD, it’s really hard to beat.

Jul 12, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #1,389 of 3,155
What aftermarket eartips are closest in sound, size, shape and fit to the stock ML tips? It doesn't look like the Sony tips are for sale anywhere which is a shame, since the ML fit like a glove for me.
In my country, some stores sell the stock sony tips with very cheap price, about $3. Have you asked your local stores?

Jul 12, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #1,392 of 3,155
Jul 12, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,393 of 3,155
Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #1,395 of 3,155

3DT is indeed incredible at what it can do...I almost always was going back to it even though I had costlier items. Well, recently got a much better upgrade that is taking up my time though. The TSMR Land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back