Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Jun 11, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,351 of 3,155
Yup, on sale as well which makes them very aggressively priced, and they perform really well, especially given their “age” so to speak. I mean my almost new Solaris 2020 are giving me the stink eye… and they know how much I like them… but I might love the M9 (note to self: stop talking about IEM like they were people).
Listening to Patricia Barber performing the Cole Porter songbook on Qobuz / Mojo as we speak, I couldn't agree with you more!

(Also, window-shopping on my laptop finds me browsing around for cable upgrades at the affinity of the $600 Dita Oslo!... —gotta stop immediately!)

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #1,352 of 3,155
Listening to Patricia Barber performing the Cole Porter songbook on Qobuz / Mojo as we speak, I couldn't agree with you more!

(Also, window-shopping on my laptop finds me browsing around for cable upgrades at the affinity of the $600 Dita Oslo!... —gotta stop immediately!)
I liked it a lot on my Dita P71.
Beware of two things with the Oslo: not the quietest cable (lightly microphonic)—and it’s heavy.

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,353 of 3,155
I liked it a lot on my Dita P71.
Beware of two things with the Oslo: not the quietest cable (lightly microphonic)—and it’s heavy.
I was kinda joking about the Oslo; so far the most money I ever spent on a cable was around $200 and I wouldn't dare to go further than that, especially given an IEM's physical limitations; albeit, the M9 is definitely tempting me to a pursue that venture!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #1,354 of 3,155
So, I 'm still enjoying the M9 immensely; yesterday they kept me up until 2:30 am even though I was actually struggling to stay awake after a very long day (only time I managed to get to bed was when the battery of my Mojo was finally drained). Pairing with the Mojo is quite wonderful, I think it matches the M9's sound signature very appropriately. I also ordered a FiiO Q3 to pair with my iPhone while on the go, hoping that it will give me that little bit extra over my BTR3 since Bluetooth and Hi-Res are a no-go with Apple.

On that note, do you guys think that there could be a DAP or DAC/amp out there that is clearly worth the extra $$$ over the Mojo? I'm not thinking solely on sound quality, but on price-to-performance as well. I know most of the M9 users have been pairing them with Sony DAPs but I don't know if they're actually worth the pain since the M9's pairing with the Mojo already sounds so good.

Jun 15, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #1,356 of 3,155
What pain?
I was referring to going through the trouble of getting rid of the Mojo and getting a different DAC/amp or DAP.

Jun 15, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,358 of 3,155
I had the wm1a with the m9 for a while. Unpopular opinion, I thought the presentation was too bland and too mushy . It did a lot of things well, but it didn't synergize well with me.

I just ended up with an amp the ifi idsd signature which seemed superior in most ways.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #1,359 of 3,155
I had the wm1a with the m9 for a while. Unpopular opinion, I thought the presentation was too bland and too mushy . It did a lot of things well, but it didn't synergize well with me.

I just ended up with an amp the ifi idsd signature which seemed superior in most ways.
Sometimes we forget how important personal preferences are… what one hears is what one hears, there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #1,362 of 3,155
So, I 'm still enjoying the M9 immensely; yesterday they kept me up until 2:30 am even though I was actually struggling to stay awake after a very long day (only time I managed to get to bed was when the battery of my Mojo was finally drained). Pairing with the Mojo is quite wonderful, I think it matches the M9's sound signature very appropriately. I also ordered a FiiO Q3 to pair with my iPhone while on the go, hoping that it will give me that little bit extra over my BTR3 since Bluetooth and Hi-Res are a no-go with Apple.

On that note, do you guys think that there could be a DAP or DAC/amp out there that is clearly worth the extra $$$ over the Mojo? I'm not thinking solely on sound quality, but on price-to-performance as well. I know most of the M9 users have been pairing them with Sony DAPs but I don't know if they're actually worth the pain since the M9's pairing with the Mojo already sounds so good.

The Hugo 2 is a very good upgrade over the Mojo, but of course it's a huge step up in price.
The music is much more clearly defined, stage is bigger and deeper, more natural. I was always wondering if it could be worth the big price difference, but when I found a used one at a good price with the chance to test before buying I took that chance. The moment I switched from the Mojo to the Hugo 2 with the IER-M9 the difference stood out surprisingly clearly.
I had an old Sony NW ZX2, which I sold after a short period, I simply thought the Mojo sounded more natural.
I never heard the new Sony DAPs and have no doubt that they are very good and convenient.

Bottomline - if you like the Mojo, the Hugo 2 is the natural upgrade IMO, and it pairs wonderfully with the M9.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #1,363 of 3,155
Finally got around to finishing my review:

Would appreciate feedback if any

Enjoyed your review! Interesting to hear that M7 sounds more linear to you. I haven’t heard M7, but I was under the impression it was darker and warmer than M9. Also it’s great to hear that M7 can keep up reasonably well in the technical department. M7 sounds like a solid bang for buck option.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #1,364 of 3,155
Enjoyed your review! Interesting to hear that M7 sounds more linear to you. I haven’t heard M7, but I was under the impression it was darker and warmer than M9. Also it’s great to hear that M7 can keep up reasonably well in the technical department. M7 sounds like a solid bang for buck option.
Yes, a nice review. I only tried the M7 quickly before buying the M9 - at $680 rather than $1000 for the M9 the bang for buck equation is a little different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back