Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #991 of 3,155
Interesting. After I don't listen to these for awhile, and come back, the imaging seems fuzzy, not so resolute. Changes after listening for awhile. Just goes to show that these don't express the best separation or resolution. It's quite smooth I give that, vocals are smooth. So, not impressed with the technicalities.

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #992 of 3,155
Interesting. After I don't listen to these for awhile, and come back, the imaging seems fuzzy, not so resolute. Changes after listening for awhile. Just goes to show that these don't express the best separation or resolution. It's quite smooth I give that, vocals are smooth. So, not impressed with the technicalities.
Well, sell em then

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #993 of 3,155
are you aware that IER series IEMs are rather harder to drive and ZX507 is relatively weak in this regard.
I don't believe in power magically solving everything.

IMPEDANCE: 20 ohms (at 1 kHz)
SENSITIVITIES: 103 dB / mW

Nothing there looks that hard to drive, and i don't even need to switch to high gain to get them more than loud enough.
I've also tried my e1da 9038d, which is more than capable to drive almost everything.

Not saying that high ends DAPs will not sound better though. But i'm happy with ZX507, and already have iems that i like more, so M9 will have to go :)
If somebody in EU wants it, let me know:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-m9-europe.948704/

Dec 10, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #994 of 3,155
Bought M9 just to try against my Solaris, and my first impression is surprise, i know we all hear things differently, but i don't understand how can M9 have S- rating when Solaris is only B :D
Especially with this bass, how can BA bass be so soft and bloated? Bass from Solaris is tighter and faster.

I’m guessing you’re talking about Crin’s ratings in which case the overall ranking takes into account tonality, or the extent to which an IEM is tuned to majority appeal. His tonal rankings are very helpful for getting a feel of where an IEM stands in general, but they also should be taken with a grain of salt if you already know what kind of tuning you enjoy. He actually has the Solaris at “A” and the M9 at “S-“ for technicalities, which is a much smaller gap than you might think once you take into account diminishing returns!

The bass on Solaris and IER-M9 are a bit funny - to me at least - in that they both land somewhere between a DD and a BA with their qualities. I agree that the bass on the IER-M9 is slightly bloated in the midbass, but I think it’s actually pretty good with some actual decay and density relative to the other BA stuff on the market. Meanwhile, Solaris’ bass is tighter like you noted, trading off bass texturing and decay to my ears.

I'm listening to the M9 now, and can't say I'm all that impressed? Nothing really new. I think the tuning is fine, no wonkiness or funny response to it. Fairly balanced, but somewhat on the warm side, which I find slight reduction in clarity. Separation is alright, not tops. If I compare to some of the full sized headphones, not even close in terms of separation and imaging. Bass is BA bass I've heard many many times, nothing new here, and prefer dynamic driver bass. Not bad, but not characteristically unique bass, but a typical what you expect from BA.

So, I don't find high technicalities from M9. Just another BA iem.

Do you notice the decay in the bass of the M9, or the overall timbre? I’d say that’s enough to make it pretty unique amongst BA IEMs haha. Interesting comment on the resolution too. I find the transients of the IER-M9 and IER-Z1R skew a little slower, but the IER-Z1R in particular has very good resolution if not fairly average detail retrieval (at the flagship level). Would be interested to know which IEMs you think have better resolution, unless you’re talking about within the context of headphones, of course.

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #995 of 3,155
What tips are you using exactly? I've owned these for two years and tip selection, fitment and seal can make or break these things.

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #996 of 3,155
What tips are you using exactly? I've owned these for two years and tip selection, fitment and seal can make or break these things.

Hey I think its time to upgrade your Spiral Dot ++
This new SF (stress free) series comes with better comfort and improvements over the ++
Eartip holes are made smaller which fit a more variety of earphones sound bore (from what I read SF is launched for the true wireless hype)
The SF also occupies less space in your ear canals leaving you with more air in soundstage
sound wise very much similar to the ++ yet SF can go deeper in your ears and definitely offer better comfort
99AA07CA-DD9E-4A2C-BC35-11AC73CDE1E1.jpeg18F92B82-AF5E-4955-8B13-87A7C3D452CA.jpegC70D3113-6001-49C7-B917-86C2FD2ECA23.jpeg06E7DFB8-ADE0-4DBC-AD70-126485727BCE.jpegE8F38E36-787A-478C-BB35-FF47D2C4D9BB.jpeg2E31389A-EFFD-4D11-9B6B-8A029B0D3C7C.jpegA5545E4B-F375-4BA4-9CA2-8E2CEC362D73.jpeg

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #997 of 3,155
Oh wow, they are constantly pumping out new versions, milking their popularity for all it's worth i see :D
I have original Spiral Dots, and while comfort is ok, but nothing special, i didn't find the phones yet where they change the sound for the better.
So they are just another mediocre overpriced tips for me.

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #998 of 3,155
Flagship iems probably need the ++ over this due to bigger nozzles.

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #999 of 3,155
This new SF (stress free) series comes with better comfort and improvements over the ++
Eartip holes are made smaller which fit a more variety of earphones sound bore (from what I read SF is launched for the true wireless hype)
The SF also occupies less space in your ear canals leaving you with more air in soundstage
sound wise very much similar to the ++ yet SF can go deeper in your ears and definitely offer better comfort
Damn I didn’t know these existed! I most definitely will try them! Thanks

Oh wow, they are constantly pumping out new versions, milking their popularity for all it's worth i see :D
I have original Spiral Dots, and while comfort is ok, but nothing special, i didn't find the phones yet where they change the sound for the better.
So they are just another mediocre overpriced tips for me.

I didn’t like the original SpiralDots at all. Especially not with the M9. The ++ model was a game changer for me. It wasn’t about improving the sound for me. It was about providing a more consistent fit, which they accomplish better than any of the included Sony tips for my ears

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #1,000 of 3,155
I thought I would get the best response in this thread, but I can move this post if it belongs somewhere else.

I tried the SE846 earphones, and I thought they were really veiled. The highs seemed to be nonexistent. Do the M7s sound veiled? I'm just looking for an earphone for using on errands, and I would be throwing them in my pocket, so I don't think I want to spend the extra for the M9s.

I think I could live with a lack of detail compared to the M9s, but I'm always annoyed when things sound veiled.

Any thoughts?

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,001 of 3,155
well, M7 definitely have less treble and upper mids, but i wouldnt call them 'veiled'. then andromeda 2020 is veiled as well.

and for some recordings which already have more highs, m7 could be preferable. i am still using it for gym and jogging. good fit, nice sound.

Dec 15, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #1,002 of 3,155
I thought I would get the best response in this thread, but I can move this post if it belongs somewhere else.

I tried the SE846 earphones, and I thought they were really veiled. The highs seemed to be nonexistent. Do the M7s sound veiled? I'm just looking for an earphone for using on errands, and I would be throwing them in my pocket, so I don't think I want to spend the extra for the M9s.

I think I could live with a lack of detail compared to the M9s, but I'm always annoyed when things sound veiled.

Any thoughts?
Brother IMO even the M7 is a bit too much of a high end IEM to be throwing in your pocket and wearing out and about! I think you could spend a lot less money to get an IEM that would please for what you seem to describe as casual use. The M7 is a bad dude as well and many people who own it in the M7 thread (that I made as well, though it isn't as active as this one) have it as their top tier IEM.

Dec 15, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #1,003 of 3,155
Brother IMO even the M7 is a bit too much of a high end IEM to be throwing in your pocket and wearing out and about! I think you could spend a lot less money to get an IEM that would please for what you seem to describe as casual use. The M7 is a bad dude as well and many people who own it in the M7 thread (that I made as well, though it isn't as active as this one) have it as their top tier IEM.
My thoughts as well

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #1,004 of 3,155

Any thoughts?

FWIW I like M9 for commuting, though can't speak to M7. For someone who wants to be a little careless with their gear & not wanting to risk burning through so much cash maybe N3 would be a better pick (a bit easier to insert & remove as well).

I haven't heard 846- Veil seems to mean different things to different people- N3 have pretty good but natural/relaxed treble extension but like m9 they are a little soft in upper mids (though not to the point of sounding wrong IMO). Jays q-Jays are a personal favorite for commuting with a bit more upper mid bite, but not as easy to recommend as N3 for a few reasons.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #1,005 of 3,155

Any thoughts?

I bought M9 after trying both 7 & 9, at the same time I own 846,
my opinion is that m7 treb is slightly less veiled than 846,
but m9 treb is absolutely on different level compare to m7 and 846,
that extra money on that extra BA tweeter definitely make m9 shine on the top end/ sounds stage/ details~~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back