Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Dec 17, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #1,006 of 3,201
Dec 22, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #1,008 of 3,201
I'm listening to the M9 now, and can't say I'm all that impressed? Nothing really new. I think the tuning is fine, no wonkiness or funny response to it. Fairly balanced, but somewhat on the warm side, which I find slight reduction in clarity. Separation is alright, not tops. If I compare to some of the full sized headphones, not even close in terms of separation and imaging. Bass is BA bass I've heard many many times, nothing new here, and prefer dynamic driver bass. Not bad, but not characteristically unique bass, but a typical what you expect from BA.

I like the lightness and the fit, big plus there since some of the past Sony stuff was like EX1000 which was terrible ergonomics. IER-Z1R was just a big chunk of metal and has weight, and fit could be semi-awkward. Much better fit with M9. Other than that, I can't say I'm all that impressed at the price-point.

I've read some people that say M9 maybe better than Z1R, but I think Z1R does several things better than M9 including sound stage and bass expression. But, both of them I'm not all the impressed in terms of resolution or they don't come off a image kings.

So, I don't find high technicalities from M9. Just another BA iem.
I have M9, SE846 and W60 to compare,I prefer M9 the most, the bass is not DD level but totally adequate, I can enjoy techno and rock music with M9. The vocals on M9 is silky smooth, try it more and you will find out.

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,009 of 3,201
Hey I think its time to upgrade your Spiral Dot ++
This new SF (stress free) series comes with better comfort and improvements over the ++
Eartip holes are made smaller which fit a more variety of earphones sound bore (from what I read SF is launched for the true wireless hype)
The SF also occupies less space in your ear canals leaving you with more air in soundstage
sound wise very much similar to the ++ yet SF can go deeper in your ears and definitely offer better comfort
99AA07CA-DD9E-4A2C-BC35-11AC73CDE1E1.jpeg18F92B82-AF5E-4955-8B13-87A7C3D452CA.jpegC70D3113-6001-49C7-B917-86C2FD2ECA23.jpeg06E7DFB8-ADE0-4DBC-AD70-126485727BCE.jpegE8F38E36-787A-478C-BB35-FF47D2C4D9BB.jpeg2E31389A-EFFD-4D11-9B6B-8A029B0D3C7C.jpegA5545E4B-F375-4BA4-9CA2-8E2CEC362D73.jpeg
Should i be getting the SF in the same size as the sony hybrids?

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #1,012 of 3,201
Ugh I wish I hadn't searched to see what people were saying about the M9 - I've read countless pages of this thread now and feel I absolutely have to own a set! My fear is though, what happens to previous entry-mid IEMs when you jump to this level?! I've only recently started this addiction and gathered 3 sets in the last 2 months - one of which (XBA-N3) under the tree for Christmas day. Maybe I can just cut to the chase and find my ultimate IEM in the M9... plus run the risk of divorce with the amount I've spent recently.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #1,013 of 3,201
Ugh I wish I hadn't searched to see what people were saying about the M9 - I've read countless pages of this thread now and feel I absolutely have to own a set! My fear is though, what happens to previous entry-mid IEMs when you jump to this level?! I've only recently started this addiction and gathered 3 sets in the last 2 months - one of which (XBA-N3) under the tree for Christmas day. Maybe I can just cut to the chase and find my ultimate IEM in the M9... plus run the risk of divorce with the amount I've spent recently.
Risk 1 - you won't stop and keep climbing the wall of price.
Risk 2 - if you have a shared account with you wife, make sure you invest on a good guest room or sofa. You may need one day.

Ps.: Take everything you read with a big grain of salt, we tend to "love" what we put money on. Go slowly and enjoy each set for some time before jumping on the next.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #1,014 of 3,201
Risk 1 - you won't stop and keep climbing the wall of price.
Risk 2 - if you have a shared account with you wife, make sure you invest on a good guest room or sofa. You may need one day.

Ps.: Take everything you read with a big grain of salt, we tend to "love" what we put money on. Go slowly and enjoy each set for some time before jumping on the next.

Your ps is absolutely right - I was very conscious of that and I've only really started to get to know 2 of the sets I've bought, let alone the N3... thanks for that, you've put the brakes on my addictive urge and saved me from some challenging discussions!

I am debating selling some other headphones in the new year, I've more Bluetooth than I need and generating some cash there would be a perfect justification.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #1,015 of 3,201
Your ps is absolutely right - I was very conscious of that and I've only really started to get to know 2 of the sets I've bought, let alone the N3... thanks for that, you've put the brakes on my addictive urge and saved me from some challenging discussions!

I am debating selling some other headphones in the new year, I've more Bluetooth than I need and generating some cash there would be a perfect justification.
Haha wise choice. You will see a lot of people here with a handful or even dozens of IEM/Headphones, myself included. If you can afford and want, no problem in that. After some time I did put a cap on my addiction. Today I only hold 4x IEMs max and 1x headphone at the same time.

Anyway, M9 is great IEM if you can get it on sale for 1k. At 1.3k you start to step into a sea of options for different sound signature tastes.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #1,016 of 3,201
Haha wise choice. You will see a lot of people here with a handful or even dozens of IEM/Headphones, myself included. If you can afford and want, no problem in that. After some time I did put a cap on my addiction. Today I only hold 4x IEMs max and 1x headphone at the same time.

Anyway, M9 is great IEM if you can get it on sale for 1k. At 1.3k you start to step into a sea of options for different sound signature tastes.

I guess I can afford it but my wife has zero understanding as to why I might need more than one IEM, let alone one that costs around $1,000! The M9 is however only €726 ($850ish?) on Accessory Jack at the moment...

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #1,017 of 3,201
Just show her how much it costs the Apple AirPod Max.

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #1,018 of 3,201
or a much much better fit :)
Agreed, EX1000 is not easy to wear . The few above posts make me to "reconsider " M9, watching more M9 YouTube review now 😀

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #1,019 of 3,201
Dec 22, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #1,020 of 3,201

Users who are viewing this thread

Back