Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
Oct 24, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #211 of 3,155
All this talk of not inserting the M9's into the ear canal and not wanting a tight seal seems to imply their more like earbuds than IEMs.

It's just a shallow-fit IEM, plenty of IEMs have used this style- It's a conscious design choice and they have been tuned accordingly. Unfortunately some shameful people dare to have ears that do not meet Sony specifications and are able to insert them deeper than is good & proper.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #212 of 3,155
Thank you very much. Yesterday, more tests confirmed Spiral Dots aren't for this IEM. Although the isolation it's better than with the Sony's tips, they sound mediocre. I'll take a look to those tips you've mentioned. At home, Sony hybrid silicone biggest size it's good for me, but it has the problem of poor isolation. On the other hand, I would like to get replacement tips of that size. I also read a colleague say that the Final Audio tips were going very well.

I have Final Audio E eartips too, good seal but narrow bore (narrower than sony silicone) made mid bass a bit boomy (just a little bit if you dont mind).
Sound wise, sony silicone is the best IMHO, I think sony engineer tuned the IEM with reference to use with provided eartips since their eartips arent crap like some chifi tips.

Best tips I have used with the M9 are the L Sony hybrids with foam insert. These tips are almost impossible to find now (or at least I haven't been successful), but I have these ones left from a pair of Sonys I got a looong time ago. I'm guessing the triple comforts are similar, but not exactly the same.

Also, I actually prefer that deep insertion is not required with the M9, as my ear canals don't get irritated at all and I can use them for a long time.

I still have them from EX1000, but they only comes in 3 pair of sizes L M S. Actually I made tutorial few months back for spiral dots with comply foam. You can fill in the sony silicon with memory foam too.

and yes I also prefer shallow insertion for most of my IEMs, a bit feel itchy inside there in my ear canal if i insert them too deep.

It's just a shallow-fit IEM, plenty of IEMs have used this style- It's a conscious design choice and they have been tuned accordingly. Unfortunately some shameful people dare to have ears that do not meet Sony specifications and are able to insert them deeper than is good & proper.

definitely +1 for this

Oct 24, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #213 of 3,155
I have Final Audio E eartips too, good seal but narrow bore (narrower than sony silicone) made mid bass a bit boomy (just a little bit if you dont mind).
Sound wise, sony silicone is the best IMHO, I think sony engineer tuned the IEM with reference to use with provided eartips since their eartips arent crap like some chifi tips.

I still have them from EX1000, but they only comes in 3 pair of sizes L M S. Actually I made tutorial few months back for spiral dots with comply foam. You can fill in the sony silicon with memory foam too.

and yes I also prefer shallow insertion for most of my IEMs, a bit feel itchy inside there in my ear canal if i insert them too deep.

definitely +1 for this

You're all right. Finally, I think I've got a proper seal with Sony hybrids LL so I'm going to buy two packs of SONY Hybrid EP-EX11 on eBay. The second hand EX1000 I bought didn't come with hybrids on that size so I only use them with Spiral Dots. I wonder now if these Sony tips will also be more appropriate for the EX1000 themselves.

An absolutely amazing IEM. And yes, I consider them a breakthrough regarding my beloved EX1000 (also the JVC FD02).

Oct 24, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #215 of 3,155
More tests with tips... Hybrids are not for me: biggest size it's too big for me and next size, too small. Biggest silicone it's ok. I also have noticed Spiral Dots cut a lot the highs. With none of the ones I've tried I have achieved good levels of isolation.
I can't get a good seal with any of the hybrids. Only the silicone LL and L work for me.

lol, everyone is mixing up the terms and getting confused here. Unless it's just me...

When we're talking about Hybrids, we're referring to Silicone (as Sony evidently calls them Silicone Hybrids!). When we're talking about the foam-like tips they include, we tend to use TC for Triple Comfort.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #216 of 3,155
Hehe, that's it. At first I confused both tips. Hybrids LL are my choice. Listening Conan The Barbarian OST... Stellar sound, level of details and transparency not known to me

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #217 of 3,155
Yeah thats correct

Sony Silicone Hybrid = silicone look alike, they are claiming using mixed materials
Sony Triple Comfort = Foam like eartips from sony that included in the package

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #220 of 3,155
no i meant like... which specific one. there are 3 different white ones and 1 black. 1 normal white, 1 weird white, and one very long white.
upload_2019-10-25_14-51-11.png

this

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #221 of 3,155
Heavenly bass... :ok_hand:

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #223 of 3,155
damn i thought u were talking about the long one at first, do the others sound as good or are they straight up bad?
havent try them yet! But the bores seem like same size. I will do that later!

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #225 of 3,155
Tips from MH750/5 still the bestest for me.
If you like bass, yes. If you like mids and clarity, symbio peeled is so damn good so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back