Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
May 4, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #616 of 3,201
yes but you have to sacrifice the sharp imaging with spiral dot++, you will realize if you are focusing on soundstage and imaging with same song, listen with spiral dot++, then change to sony hybrid again. But of course, its all your preferences, mid focused and smoother presentation of spiral dot++ or precise sharp imaging of sony hybrid. Different eartips made different presentation
Honestly I don't feel these tips sacrifice anything at all.

Chocoloate Chip Trip on the new Tool album just blew my damn head off with these tips coming out of my ZX300. Imaging is as sharp as ever, soundstage as good as it ever was. I wonder if you maybe got a size too big in the JVCs. I feel like everyone is using tips that are too big for the M9. Whether they be Sony tips or otherwise. The M9 needs to be shoved down DEEP, and tips that are too big won't allow it.

May 5, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #617 of 3,201

Chocoloate Chip Trip on the new Tool album just blew my damn head off with these tips coming out of my ZX300. Imaging is as sharp as ever, soundstage as good as it ever was. I wonder if you maybe got a size too big in the JVCs. I feel like everyone is using tips that are too big for the M9. Whether they be Sony tips or otherwise. The M9 needs to be shoved down DEEP, and tips that are too big won't allow it.
Do you have good source for Tool albums? Everywhere I look they're all loudness war version with too much compressed dynamic, the LP rips do solve this problem but so far they are like lottery with 0.01% chance to find a decent sounding one and I have found none.

May 5, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #618 of 3,201
Do you have good source for Tool albums? Everywhere I look they're all loudness war version with too much compressed dynamic, the LP rips do solve this problem but so far they are like lottery with 0.01% chance to find a decent sounding one and I have found none.
I bought all mine from HDtracks. I’m not sure about the compression on them but I do know I have to crank them a good bit higher than all my other modern music. It’s the only modern music I own that requires me to crank the volume up to 77-82 on high gain on my ZX300 with the M9.
Where all have you tried? I use Tidal as well but 95% of my listening is done with files I own. Not that I can even tell the difference but it makes me feel better I guess.

May 5, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #619 of 3,201
10,000 Days is the loudest of all the Tool albums but it still doesn’t compare to other modern music.

May 5, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #620 of 3,201
I bought all mine from HDtracks. I’m not sure about the compression on them but I do know I have to crank them a good bit higher than all my other modern music. It’s the only modern music I own that requires me to crank the volume up to 77-82 on high gain on my ZX300 with the M9.
Where all have you tried? I use Tidal as well but 95% of my listening is done with files I own. Not that I can even tell the difference but it makes me feel better I guess.
I just torrent stuff (cheap a$$ I know) but all other albums from other artists I can always get dynamic range >12 (using foobar feature to measure)with good sound quality but when it comes to Tool I can only find <8 (CD quality and Hi res digital download), like I said Vinyl rips solve this problem but the sound quality is just pure bad (distorted, channel imbalance etc).

May 5, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #621 of 3,201
I've always found vinyl to sound lifeless. Music needs some compression to get that aggressive sound that pretty much everyone wants.

May 5, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #622 of 3,201
I've always found vinyl to sound lifeless. Music needs some compression to get that aggressive sound that pretty much everyone wants.
True, it's all about preference. Me personally I would turn down a perfect sounding recording if they mess too much with the dynamic, but I agree they need some compression to sound aggressive.
The search goes on.

May 5, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #623 of 3,201

As what I heard, the soundstage is expanded on the Spiral Dot++ indeed. Much more air is pumped into the overall sound presentation. Sony eartips give me a sense that is more of a studio where subbass stuck, which often ended up making my ears feel rather tired after 30 min listening. I did mention the bass attenuation in my previous post but let me put it in different words. The M9 bass on JVC tips is like no longer confined to a small room, mid bass a little less punchy while subbass spreads all my head. it's like airing out that small studio. I think JVC tips let me experience the sound that was actually tuned for the M9 at the first place.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #625 of 3,201
As what I heard, the soundstage is expanded on the Spiral Dot++ indeed. Much more air is pumped into the overall sound presentation. Sony eartips give me a sense that is more of a studio where subbass stuck, which often ended up making my ears feel rather tired after 30 min listening. I did mention the bass attenuation in my previous post but let me put it in different words. The M9 bass on JVC tips is like no longer confined to a small room, mid bass a little less punchy while subbass spreads all my head. it's like airing out that small studio. I think JVC tips let me experience the sound that was actually tuned for the M9 at the first place.
Hey I’m rocking the Kimber on my M9 as well!

May 5, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #627 of 3,201
May 6, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #629 of 3,201
Dang! I have M7's, but at that price I'm tempted to get M9's too. I'm just not sure if it would be a worthwhile upgrade over M7?

Regards
Sorry if this is off-topic from the sub, but I'm curious to know how's your experience with the M7 and what comparisons do you have with your other headphone gear? I see one used that I'm hesitant to bite the bullet yet. I'm coming from the Audio Technica IM02 and had the Shure SE846 previously. I'm looking to use the M7 as a home use only if that's any help.

May 6, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #630 of 3,201
Sorry if this is off-topic from the sub, but I'm curious to know how's your experience with the M7 and what comparisons do you have with your other headphone gear? I see one used that I'm hesitant to bite the bullet yet. I'm coming from the Audio Technica IM02 and had the Shure SE846 previously. I'm looking to use the M7 as a home use only if that's any help.

i have 846 and m9 (ab test with m7 and bought m9), i say keep using 846, just upgrade the cables and with 2.5& 4.4 balanced. no need to go m7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back