Sony IER-M9 impressions thread
May 6, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #631 of 3,155
Sorry if this is off-topic from the sub, but I'm curious to know how's your experience with the M7 and what comparisons do you have with your other headphone gear? I see one used that I'm hesitant to bite the bullet yet. I'm coming from the Audio Technica IM02 and had the Shure SE846 previously. I'm looking to use the M7 as a home use only if that's any help.

Hi mate,

I don't have any experience with AT IM02 and SE846.

There are some comparisons in this thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thr...sony-ier-z1r-ier-m9-and-ier-m7.886121/page-76

M7's are my first set of BA's and my first "serious" IEM's. Only listen them at home through the PHA2 amp or ZX300 player.
Final Audio E5000 are still my IEM"s for "on-the-go" listening and have totally different sonic signature to M7's.

M7's offer great clarity, sense of scale/space and instrument separation. Bass is defined and punchy. Not digging too deep and slightly lacking in the decay.
Few forum members here consider them to be on the warmer/darker side, but I disagree. They are tuned for an open balanced sound. I also don't find them to overemphasize in any freq region.
If you are a fan of V shaped sound, these may not be for you. Very satisfactory for rock, jazz and electronica.
Also worth noting that M7's sound is very tip dependent. It took some time to finally settle on the "proper" tips where they sound the best.

Hope this helps.

Regards

May 6, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #632 of 3,155
I owned the 846 and thought they were very bad for the price. Comparing them to my $200 Sennheiser ie80, they were very slightly more clear sounding. No improvement in bass extension or anything. I'd say they sounded like they cost around $250-$300. I'd say the M9 is a noticeable step up in clarity from the M7. The M9 sounds very close to the Z1R.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #633 of 3,155
i have 846 and m9 (ab test with m7 and bought m9), i say keep using 846, just upgrade the cables and with 2.5& 4.4 balanced. no need to go m7
I actually sold off my SE846 cause there was something weird in the timbre that made voices and instruments sound off for me for some reason. I agree with Crinacle's description on the sound as I find it the same.

Another reason why I sold it off was because it was really too big for my ears that it doesn't flush well, compared to it's lower tier siblings. So I'm looking for something else and the M7 is among that caught my eye (since it's on a good sale from where I'm at) as a different use case than my current IM02.

May 7, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #634 of 3,155
Hi mate,

I don't have any experience with AT IM02 and SE846.

There are some comparisons in this thread.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thr...sony-ier-z1r-ier-m9-and-ier-m7.886121/page-76

M7's are my first set of BA's and my first "serious" IEM's. Only listen them at home through the PHA2 amp or ZX300 player.
Final Audio E5000 are still my IEM"s for "on-the-go" listening and have totally different sonic signature to M7's.

M7's offer great clarity, sense of scale/space and instrument separation. Bass is defined and punchy. Not digging too deep and slightly lacking in the decay.
Few forum members here consider them to be on the warmer/darker side, but I disagree. They are tuned for an open balanced sound. I also don't find them to overemphasize in any freq region.
If you are a fan of V shaped sound, these may not be for you. Very satisfactory for rock, jazz and electronica.
Also worth noting that M7's sound is very tip dependent. It took some time to finally settle on the "proper" tips where they sound the best.

Hope this helps.

Regards

This was pretty helpful, thank you! I'll give that thread a read to get a clearer picture of what they might sound like to me. Your insight was also well appreciated.

I am gonna be using the M7 for home use powered by the JDS Element, so I would suppose that's more than enough to get them up to scale. I am looking for something that's more balanced sounding, not really for something V-shaped as that would be more suited for on-the-go or commute usage.

Last question, were you able to find the tips that fit you from the ones in the package or did you have to purchase third party ones?

May 7, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #635 of 3,155
I actually sold off my SE846 cause there was something weird in the timbre that made voices and instruments sound off for me for some reason. I agree with Crinacle's description on the sound as I find it the same.

Another reason why I sold it off was because it was really too big for my ears that it doesn't flush well, compared to it's lower tier siblings. So I'm looking for something else and the M7 is among that caught my eye (since it's on a good sale from where I'm at) as a different use case than my current IM02.

The Shure was good when it was released, but it's been eclipsed since. The M7 from memory is a smidge bit brighter than the SE846 using the warm filters. Soundstage wasn't as good as it lacked a bit of that sweet pinna gain.

May 7, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #636 of 3,155
I owned the 846 and thought they were very bad for the price. Comparing them to my $200 Sennheiser ie80, they were very slightly more clear sounding. No improvement in bass extension or anything. I'd say they sounded like they cost around $250-$300. I'd say the M9 is a noticeable step up in clarity from the M7. The M9 sounds very close to the Z1R.
I kind of agree with your assessment that the 846 is not priced greatly in today's market. I find that even the IM02 is almost on equal footing (minus the deeper extension of bass and slightly airier presentation) in terms of sound quality.

I might look into the M9 at some point in the future, but the M7 at this time is priced pretty good that I might take it up.

May 7, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #637 of 3,155
The Shure was good when it was released, but it's been eclipsed since. The M7 from memory is a smidge bit brighter than the SE846 using the warm filters. Soundstage wasn't as good as it lacked a bit of that sweet pinna gain.
Looking back after having it's lower siblings (215, 535LTD), that I would think the 846 was what the 535 was supposed to be in terms of upgrade. The 535LTD to me didn't feel like an upgrade in sound from the SE215.

Did you mean the soundstage of the M7 or the 846 wasn't as good? Sorry I was confused at your last statement.

May 7, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #638 of 3,155
Looking back after having it's lower siblings (215, 535LTD), that I would think the 846 was what the 535 was supposed to be in terms of upgrade. The 535LTD to me didn't feel like an upgrade in sound from the SE215.

Did you mean the soundstage of the M7 or the 846 wasn't as good? Sorry I was confused at your last statement.

846 has a small soundstage. The M7 wasn't incredible either, but it's certainly better than the 846 courtesy of lesser roll-off.

Honestly, not missing out that much between the M9 and M7 unless you really lust after that soundstage and extension. It's like 80% the same IEM in my opinion: in fact, at first hear they sounded almost the same.

I must've completely misremembered about the IE80 as I remembered I completely hated it. In fact, that IEM set me off on a journey of finding what's better out there as I used to think Sennheiser was king.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #639 of 3,155
This was pretty helpful, thank you! I'll give that thread a read to get a clearer picture of what they might sound like to me. Your insight was also well appreciated.

I am gonna be using the M7 for home use powered by the JDS Element, so I would suppose that's more than enough to get them up to scale. I am looking for something that's more balanced sounding, not really for something V-shaped as that would be more suited for on-the-go or commute usage.

Last question, were you able to find the tips that fit you from the ones in the package or did you have to purchase third party ones?

I use Z1R ML silicone tips. I punched a small hole at the neck of each, in order to remove the vacuum seal effect (affects both M7/M9 and its widely discussed in other thread). It also leaves the supplied M7 tips intact, case I decide to sell them. You will hear different opinions on insertion and tips, but that's fair enough, given that M7/M9 sound is very tip dependent.

Regards

May 7, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #640 of 3,155
I use Z1R ML silicone tips. I punched a small hole at the neck of each, in order to remove the vacuum seal effect (affects both M7/M9 and its widely discussed in other thread). It also leaves the supplied M7 tips intact, case I decide to sell them. You will hear different opinions on insertion and tips, but that's fair enough, given that M7/M9 sound is very tip dependent.

Regards

Found it easier to just open your jaw up when inserting the IEMs. When you close your jaw, the ear canal shifts ever so slightly, enough to break vacuum.

May 7, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #641 of 3,155

Yah, the 846 is not accurate tone at all if to say, more for buttery vocal than accurate instruments. And on the size part, its too big for me also.
So for the comfort wise, I say you will have to move on for m7/m9.
Sound quality part, those 846 really needs upgrade for cable, i used WM1Z and 4.4 and they totally are different iem.
That's why I still keep it but didn't listen much / long.
With its original cable, they are truly just worth 200 usd ish.

M7 is good go, if price is not a matter, than M9 is worth the upgrade too. Strong suggestion is to swap out the oem cable, which to me is kinda dark and blurry sounding. (not the case for ier-z1r oem cable though)
But one thing I find missing on m7/m9 from 846 is that low end. m7/m9 low end is still very BA sounding, it doesn't get the air punching feel of 846's DD sounding bass. m7/m9 vocal is more plain compare to 846's buttery.
But you do get more refine / detailed / accurate sound from sony.

Currently I use my m9 more than 846, cause it's hol lot more comfy than 846 for long period of wearing.

May 7, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #642 of 3,155
Yah, the 846 is not accurate tone at all if to say, more for buttery vocal than accurate instruments. And on the size part, its too big for me also.
So for the comfort wise, I say you will have to move on for m7/m9.
Sound quality part, those 846 really needs upgrade for cable, i used WM1Z and 4.4 and they totally are different iem.
That's why I still keep it but didn't listen much / long.
With its original cable, they are truly just worth 200 usd ish.

M7 is good go, if price is not a matter, than M9 is worth the upgrade too. Strong suggestion is to swap out the oem cable, which to me is kinda dark and blurry sounding. (not the case for ier-z1r oem cable though)
But one thing I find missing on m7/m9 from 846 is that low end. m7/m9 low end is still very BA sounding, it doesn't get the air punching feel of 846's DD sounding bass. m7/m9 vocal is more plain compare to 846's buttery.
But you do get more refine / detailed / accurate sound from sony.

Currently I use my m9 more than 846, cause it's hol lot more comfy than 846 for long period of wearing.

If you thought the SE846 was not accurate tonally at all, I'd love for you to try the Audio-Technica ATH-IEX1. Now that one was truly broken tonally: SE846 ain't got nothing on it.

May 7, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #643 of 3,155
If you thought the SE846 was not accurate tonally at all, I'd love for you to try the Audio-Technica ATH-IEX1. Now that one was truly broken tonally: SE846 ain't got nothing on it.
I actually did look into iex1,
but since I am little weird, that being obsessed on connectors being uniformed (right now MMCX & 4.4),
I believe iex1 is a2dc or some new named connector

From the history tone tuning of ATH, aren't they kinda always shifted towards female vocal, making female vocal excessively sweet and sugary, which pulled the rest of freq too?
never tried iex1, I might be wrong, how are their tone tuned this time, btw?
really curious ~~

May 7, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #644 of 3,155
I actually did look into iex1,
but since I am little weird, that being obsessed on connectors being uniformed (right now MMCX & 4.4),
I believe iex1 is a2dc or some new named connector

From the history tone tuning of ATH, aren't they kinda always shifted towards female vocal, making female vocal excessively sweet and sugary, which pulled the rest of freq too?
never tried iex1, I might be wrong, how are their tone tuned this time, btw?
really curious ~~

Remember how you said the SE846 is tonally all wrong? That AT is tuned such that it makes the SE846 sound like voices from angels. It is not sweet at all: it is instead piercing.

Dunno about you, but I don't feel like SE846 is tonally all over the place. There's bits it can do better, namely more treble extension, but it's not lop-sided at all.

May 7, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #645 of 3,155
Hello, prepaire for reshell:
WhatsApp Image 2020-03-17 at 16.03.19.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-03-17 at 16.03.13.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back